deacon

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
hairyangus

Re: deacon

Post by hairyangus »

Joey Deacon mayb!
Stan Doff

Post by Stan Doff »

I am not sure that he would be the answere to our problems long term.
He is the perfect 7 for Bradford as he is excellent st bringing their big forwards onto the ball. But they play the power game and we don't. We need an organiser and a creator and to be honest i do not see him as a creative scrum half.
As I said I do not see him as being the answer long term.

The "story" behind Luke is IMO just that - a nice story to cover for someones poor decision in letting him go. He is turning in great performances at Salford and is just what we need.
Some poeple like to beleive every rumour regardless.
Others like to take a step back and think about the bigger picture. Who is to say who is right? We all have our own sources and people we beleive but one thing is certain... We could do with him playing for us right now.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Quite right Stan. Salford signed Luke and announced that they were going to build their team around him for the next 10 yrs. It certainly appears to be going OK for them at the moment and as far as I know he isn't creating waves at Salford.

Briscoe also is a massive mistake with the benefit of hindsight. Many on here will say he had to go because he was never going to oust Rads, but IMO he would have been a permanent member of our 17 and could have played anywhere in the backs as did Aspy.

It always seems to be us making these awful decisions and no-one else. The only other one that springs immeditely to mind is the Bull's decision to release Chris Bridge to Warrington.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jinkin jimmy posted:
Quite right Stan. Salford signed Luke and announced that they were going to build their team around him for the next 10 yrs. It certainly appears to be going OK for them at the moment and as far as I know he isn't creating waves at Salford.
While at Wigan Robinson was used as an impact player at hooker most of the time. When he did get the chance to play scrum half he was not impressive.
Briscoe also is a massive mistake with the benefit of hindsight. Many on here will say he had to go because he was never going to oust Rads, but IMO he would have been a permanent member of our 17 and could have played anywhere in the backs as did Aspy.
Briscoe is over rated in my opinion. By the time his stint in the Wigan first team came to an end the flaws in his game at full back had begun to shown up and he hasn't rectified them since. His positional play was poor and still is. I don't see where he would have fitted into the 17 given the rest of the squad at the time.

With hindsight you might argue Robinsonm was a mistake but not Briscoe in my opinion. With both players at the time they left neither leaving was that controversial because neither of them looked that special.

Dave
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

"And speculation is mounting Wigan may be preparing the ground to make a move for a Super League half-back from a leading Yorkshire club."
from
http://www.wiganonline.co.uk/ViewArticl ... ID=1414814

Lots of Yorkshire half-backs I'd rather see ahead of Deacon, though - Burrow and/or McGuire for a start!
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Robinson was a real youngster at the time and shouldn't IMO have been expected to come on as sub and put everyone in the shade. He was - and still is - a developing talent who was nowhere near the finished product when he played for us. That isn't reason enough to discard him.

Briscoe is no Rads, granted, but he is better than Ashton without doubt. I know it's all ifs, buts and maybes but if he was still here he would provide our fullback solution for many years to come.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

"And speculation is mounting Wigan may be preparing the ground to make a move for a Super League half-back from a leading Yorkshire club

The key words are "speculation" and "make a move" - so nothing has been put forward and there is no guarantee that it will be accepted

This is not worth worrying about until we hear something official. Speculation could be rumours on RLFans? And I am sure that I heard on there that Elvis was really an alien and was going to rise from the dead to play stand off for us :sly:
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jinkin jimmy posted:
Robinson was a real youngster at the time and shouldn't IMO have been expected to come on as sub and put everyone in the shade. He was - and still is - a developing talent who was nowhere near the finished product when he played for us. That isn't reason enough to discard him.
No its not but the 20/20 means you have to decide who goes and who stays when younger players can start to command higher wages.

Mistakes are bound to be made and if the club had kept every player who went on to play well for other clubs we would have had squads of about 40 players in size.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Matthew posted:
This is not worth worrying about until we hear something official. Speculation could be rumours on RLFans?
I am starting to think papers like the WEP have given up trying to dig for real news and simply rely on relaying the latest rlfans rumour to their readership.

Dave
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

DaveO posted:
jinkin jimmy posted:
No its not but the 20/20 means you have to decide who goes and who stays when younger players can start to command higher wages.

Mistakes are bound to be made and if the club had kept every player who went on to play well for other clubs we would have had squads of about 40 players in size.
Dave
If only!!!