Video Ref

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Nine

Re: Video Ref

Post by Nine »

FWIW, and notwithstanding the the pros and cons of the actual decisions debated here, it's worth noting that the quality of the video refs themselves is in question. Most seem to be clapped-out old refs who were not the bext when on the whistle (though I thought Presley had a good season before he injured his knee and had to retire).

So one aspect of Stuart Cummings' answer to Father Ted from Riversiders, who had sent him a ranting e-mail, is interesting and slightly encouraging. Once we have full-time refs they will act as video refs for those games where they are not the man in the middle. At the moment it is not possible to get the top refs to do this as they have outside work commitments and other calls on their time as well as reffing.

I think the theory is that full-time refs will at the very least have a good grasp of rules and be up to dat ewith the latest interpretations.
Squad number 18!
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Nine posted:
I think the theory is that full-time refs will at the very least have a good grasp of rules and be up to dat ewith the latest interpretations.
They have these already, referees, especially at the top level know the rules inside out. Latest guidelines are fed down to them on a regular basis also.

What they will benefit from is having longer to review their performances and a better opportunity to develop their skills, improve their relative weaknesses and more time dedicated to fitness.

All the current video referees are ex-referees themselves and will know the rules better than any of us. I suppose the main advantage full time referees have over them is that they can visualise thing from a realistic on-field perspective rather than a less realistic slow motion video replay perspective.
Welski

Post by Welski »

DaveO posted:
Welski posted:
I suppose given we've been on the end of a some dodgy calls recently we should at least be grateful we haven't got the muppet who was 'upstairs' in the final game of the origin series.

Some of his calls were bizarre.
Presley and Kershaw were the video refs for the 3rd origin game.

Dave
That explains it thanks Dave....Sorry I didnt bother to check just assumed it was some NRL official.
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Welski posted:
DaveO posted:
Welski posted:
I suppose given we've been on the end of a some dodgy calls recently we should at least be grateful we haven't got the muppet who was 'upstairs' in the final game of the origin series.

Presley and Kershaw were the video refs for the 3rd origin game.

Dave
That explains it thanks Dave....Sorry I didnt bother to check just assumed it was some NRL official.
The video referee was Graham West (sic).
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Welski posted:

I've just watched the Origin game and the video referee was spot on with each decision he made. It was just that the commentators didn't agree with certain rules so they were moaning.
stevocod

Post by stevocod »

robjoenz posted:
Welski posted:

I've just watched the Origin game and the video referee was spot on with each decision he made. It was just that the commentators didn't agree with certain rules so they were moaning.
How was the NSW last try legitimate when Brett Hodgson clearly knocked on?
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

stevocod posted:
robjoenz posted:
Welski posted:

He didn't knock on, the ball his his chest/shoulder.
stevocod

Post by stevocod »

robjoenz posted:
stevocod posted:
robjoenz posted: I've just watched the Origin game and the video referee was spot on with each decision he made. It was just that the commentators didn't agree with certain rules so they were moaning.
He didn't knock on, the ball hit his chest/shoulder.
Yes but it also rolled on to the arm before it went forward. The Carroll try was clearly a steal so i agree on that one.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

stevocod posted:
Yes but it also rolled on to the arm before it went forward. The Carroll try was clearly a steal so i agree on that one.
The Hodgeson one didn't touch his arm, it came down and glanced against his chest/shoulder and bounced, then the try was scored.
stevocod

Post by stevocod »

It also rolled off his left arm half way up. Maybe the video ref gave benefit of doubt because of the ball playing the man but there was no Halpenny there this time lol!