Brexit UK vote to leave Europe in historic referendum

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
Owd Codger

Re: Brexit UK vote to leave Europe in historic referendum

Post by Owd Codger »

And finally, a Tory MP member of the 'remain' campaign has admitted that they botched by avoiding the issue of immigration.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whelley Warrior wrote:And finally, a Tory MP member of the 'remain' campaign has admitted that they botched by avoiding the issue of immigration.

ALL Remain botched it but truth be told I do not think it would have mattered much.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:SJ is right (I stopped reading this days/weeks ago); we voted Brexit and need to get on with it whatever the consequences will be.
Oh FFS, not you as well with the "get on with it" platitude!

What exactly are you personally going to "get on" with?

What part specifically are you personally going to play in the Brexit project? I'll tell you exactly what you are going to do - absolutely nothing, that is what.

Along with all the others who advise we have to "get on with it" or "make the best of it" you aren't going to do anything different than you were doing pre the vote.

That isn't "getting on with it". That is simply watching the consequences unfold.

Getting on with it is really code for head in the sand and I hope the shit doesn't hit the fan.

Currently that includes "getting on" with watching interest rates drop again, the pound drop through the floor and inflation start to rise and we haven't even left yet. Watch what happens when article 50 is invoked.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Whelley Warrior wrote:And finally, a Tory MP member of the 'remain' campaign has admitted that they botched by avoiding the issue of immigration.
Depends what you mean by avoided. The Tories in particular were in a rather hard position throughout all aspects of the campaign.

Many if not all the issues people attributed to the EU are actually down to domestic UK government policy and so the Tories could hardly admit to the fact that people are economically disadvantaged because of their policies such as austerity.

Corbyn tried this tack and it is why he would not share a platform with them as he wanted to argue people were blaming wrong thing. He didn't get far as he is persona non grata with the media the majority of which seem more anti-Corbyn than pro-EU and that included the few pro-EU papers such as the Guardian.

As to immigration what seems to get a lot of people's backs up as evidenced by the recent items in the news about not enough labour to do seasonal agricultural work if we end freedom of movement, is the cheap foreign labour doing these jobs. Which is ironic because no one here wants the work and if it was paid well enough to make it worthwhile despite not being a permanent job, people would soon squeal about the price of food going through the roof.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

:lol: Article 50 invoked, agreemwnts reached with whonever we want to make them withand in the long term hopefully a better country with greater independence. Yet to see anything in life that was a 100% certainty re the outcome.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote: :lol: Article 50 invoked, agreemwnts reached with whonever we want to make them withand in the long term hopefully a better country with greater independence. Yet to see anything in life that was a 100% certainty re the outcome.
What a load of claptrap. I never had you down as inhabiting the same simplistic world as Nigel Farage. Previously you liked the EU now you have gone all UKIP.

I guess having declared how you voted you will argue black is white to justify your position. Admitting you were wrong to vote as you did, which I guarantee you (and others) will have to do has never been your strong point.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think UKIP/Farage are crazy and always have been. I was always originally pro EU but increasingly I have seen little or no benefit and felt the time is right to leave the EU. I do not think British people are alone in the growth of anti EU feeling, in numerous countries it is now very similar.

Short term some pain but long term greater decision making freedom and greater control over population such as an Australian points system. Economically, I have little fear. My greatest fear is employment rights/human rights being eroded compared to extra demands upon the state for health, education etc in we remain. In an ideal world a Labour government would help preserve suchidealsbut that is not going to happen for at least 1, possibly 2 to 3 General Elections.

One can be in favour of leaving the EU without any link/support for UKIP.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Come on Josie lock it, before DaveO has a myocardial infarction, talk about losing it :doz:
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Not seen many foreign companies like in the Energy, Van Delivery and Supermarket businesses etc leaving the country.

No wonder when they are making massive profits out of us!
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

I can understand the working class vote to leave.

The truth of the matter though is that it was misguided.

Most EU immigrants contribute more to society than they take out in terms of finances.

Any downturn as a result of Brexit (short term or otherwise) will hit working class people more. Fact.

The turkeys have voted for Christmas I am afraid.

That said, I agree that we have voted for Brexit and should move on and embrace the positives.