wigan warriors up for sale

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
ian.birchall

Re: wigan warriors up for ...

Post by ian.birchall »

My bid is 7/6 in old money.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

ian.birchall posted:
My bid is 7/6 in old money.
37 & 1/2p is far to much money :lol:
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

1/2 a p wud b 2 much money 4 that lot
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

GeoffN posted:
ByeByeLatics posted:
Nobby`s Girl posted:
ByeByeLatics posted:

Love your name :lol: :lol:
Cheers me deers!

Its now west ham 3 bolton nill and the red lion is loosing 1-0 against Middlesborough.

Bring on the stains. Up the Warriors!
West Ham 3 Bolton 1

Latics 0 Middlesborough 1

Going down, going down, going down...
I'm forever blowing bubbles, pretty bubles in the air.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Football

Rugby League

Different

But...

C'MON SHEFFIELD UTD FFS!!!! F****** STUFF THEM!

As this result will have a psychological effect in some way on Emmanuel Adebayor, an Arsenal player, and as I am an Arsenal fan i am concerned over his well-being. honestly, not that I hate Athletic or anything and would revel in their downfall.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Markus35

Post by Markus35 »

As a follower of both codes,i must say how much the town as changed in the last five year.

If you go into schools nowadays 80 per cent of the kids will claim to be Latics fan.(ive got two fanatics of my own)

The most noticeable thing about going to the JJB for the Rubgy/Football is how much older the Rugby fanbase is to the football fan base.

If Latics were to enjoy a few more years in the prem,their would be no debate about who has the most support in this town.

RL need to lift the salary cap,keeps its best players and revamp its product.

The problem tics have with 'Mo' is nothing to do with the Liverpool tie,more on his infamous 'little club comments' etc etc.

Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

Markus35 posted:
As a follower of both codes,i must say how much the town as changed in the last five year.

If you go into schools nowadays 80 per cent of the kids will claim to be Latics fan.(ive got two fanatics of my own)

The most noticeable thing about going to the JJB for the Rubgy/Football is how much older the Rugby fanbase is to the football fan base.

If Latics were to enjoy a few more years in the prem,their would be no debate about who has the most support in this town.

RL need to lift the salary cap,keeps its best players and revamp its product.

The problem tics have with 'Mo' is nothing to do with the Liverpool tie,more on his infamous 'little club comments' etc etc.
Then Latics fans need to grow up and live in the modern world. If comments made in a different era still bother them so much, it shows a deep insecurity on their part.

As for the ageing RL fanbase, that's purely a matter of opinion. Yes, there are lots of young fans at footy games, but there are many, many junior RL sides in the Wigan area and an awful lot of kids at the JJB on Friday nights (and in any case, I wouldn't put my trust in schoolkids - they're very flighty at that age, and while they might say they support the football club, the reality is that most of the time they'll rather be sitting on their playstations).

If Latics were to remain for several years in the Premiership, I too would expect them to increase their crowds ... at least to the point where it was no longer an embarrassment. But then so they SHOULD. This is Premiership Football after all, a competition which in the UK gets 50 times more free publicity than any other, a competition which is often portrayed in the media as being the only contest in Britain worthy of partaking in, a competition with a very long tradition of large crowds and fanatical support. Really, saying that they WOULD get significantly better attendances than the RL if they were allowed to stay in the Premiership ad infinitum is stating the extremely obvious - though thus far they are noticeably struggling to convince in this department.

All your comments about what RL needs to do to improve itself, I agree with - but then we've always been a game in need of radical thinking and a big makeover, and invariably having to do without. As Wayne Bennett famously said: "The miracle of Rugby League is not that it's survived a hundred years, but that it's survived its own administrators".

I'm more pessimistic about Wigan Athletic's future than you are. Even if they survive this time round, I feel the 2006-2007 season has proved that running a Premiership club is overall too complex and expensive a mission for those in power at the JJB. Considering the fanfare given to the club when they first got promoted to the top rank, I didn't expect them to be hanging on by their fingernails at the end of only their second season. It doesn't bode well.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Got to say that I think Cruncher is bang on the money. Even if the latics survive on Saturday (and I couldn't care less either way) then what are their chances next season? Whilst we had a blip last season we went on a pretty impressive winning run once we got our act together (and got rid of Millward).

If the latics do survive I think that it is very likely that they will be in the same situation next year. In order to buy any kind of in the premier league success, DW would need to discover diamond encrusted oil in a JJB store.

The real test will be the size of their crowds next year if they are relegated
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
Markus35

Post by Markus35 »

'I'm more pessimistic about Wigan Athletic's future than you are. Even if they survive this time round, I feel the 2006-2007 season has proved that running a Premiership club is overall too complex and expensive a mission for those in power at the JJB. Considering the fanfare given to the club when they first got promoted to the top rank, I didn't expect them to be hanging on by their fingernails at the end of only their second season. It doesn't bode well'

If they win on Sunday,the financial implications will mean they will have an advantage over clubs in the championship for years to come.

The figures are mindboggling.

From next year you receive 30 million pound for finishing bottom of the premier league and a million more for every place higher,plus 200,000 every time one of your games features on sky

Plus if you get relagated you receive 25 million pound parachute payments for 2 years.

Compared to the two million salary cap in rugby league and the TV money on offer in the sport,its little wonder were Dave's attention lies.

Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

Markus35 posted:
'I'm more pessimistic about Wigan Athletic's future than you are. Even if they survive this time round, I feel the 2006-2007 season has proved that running a Premiership club is overall too complex and expensive a mission for those in power at the JJB. Considering the fanfare given to the club when they first got promoted to the top rank, I didn't expect them to be hanging on by their fingernails at the end of only their second season. It doesn't bode well'

If they win on Sunday,the financial implications will mean they will have an advantage over clubs in the championship for years to come.

The figures are mindboggling.

From next year you receive 30 million pound for finishing bottom of the premier league and a million more for every place higher,plus 200,000 every time one of your games features on sky

Plus if you get relagated you receive 25 million pound parachute payments for 2 years.

Compared to the two million salary cap in rugby league and the TV money on offer in the sport,its little wonder were Dave's attention lies.
But how long is Dave going to be around for? He already spends half the season away. He must be thinking about retirement now, and if Latics drop this time, then it might be some kind of catalyst. I find it difficult to imagine him psyching himself up for another huge, financially and emotionally draining assault on the Premiership.

All the figures you quote are very impressive, until you remember that it's football. The wages are colossal - even for players who aren't international standard, and you need at least a couple of internationals to get anywhere. Having a football club isn't a licence to print money. Far from it.