Coley confirmed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Cruncher

Re: Coley confirmed

Post by Cruncher »

The premature throat-cutting over Coley is leaving me a little bemused, to be honest.

If he was the only player we were signing, then I too would be disappointed. But both Mo and Noble have gone on the record saying they'll be bringing more new players in for 2008.

Don't you guys think we should wait a while before stampeding to the season ticket bonfire? It's not as if Coley's a terrible player. He isn't. His game has weaknesses, but he can also be pretty effective. The other thing is, we all knew we were signing him several weeks ago, so why everyone's sudddenly getting annoyed now is puzzling me.

Two things: Firstly - patience. He won't be our only signing and, like it or not, we can make use of him because we need another prop (even without Fletch, we already have three pretty decent second rowers. Secondly - solidarity. Coley is now a Wigan player - and, as can be seen from the vitriol being heaped on him at Salford and in other places (even on the Hudds board of all place :lol: ), that's no easy thing for a guy. But basically he's one of us now, so we should welcome him with open arms and give him a chance to prove his worth.
lancaster077

Post by lancaster077 »

If you read my previous posts Coley is not as good as Fletch and gives too many penalties away.

But he is now our player so i will give him my full support if he plays his all for the club, himself and the fans and not just for the wedge of cash and going through the motions like Fielden and DV.

I think if we play Coley as a prop then a couple of more pounds of weight wont hurt him ater all Fielden is too light at 17 stone as a prop according to some people on hear and Coley is the same weight.
MiThor

Post by MiThor »

Cruncher posted:
The premature throat-cutting over Coley is leaving me a little bemused, to be honest.

If he was the only player we were signing, then I too would be disappointed. But both Mo and Noble have gone on the record saying they'll be bringing more new players in for 2008.

Don't you guys think we should wait a while before stampeding to the season ticket bonfire? It's not as if Coley's a terrible player. He isn't. His game has weaknesses, but he can also be pretty effective. The other thing is, we all knew we were signing him several weeks ago, so why everyone's sudddenly getting annoyed now is puzzling me.

Two things: Firstly - patience. He won't be our only signing and, like it or not, we can make use of him because we need another prop (even without Fletch, we already have three pretty decent second rowers. Secondly - solidarity. Coley is now a Wigan player - and, as can be seen from the vitriol being heaped on him at Salford and in other places (even on the Hudds board of all place :lol: ), that's no easy thing for a guy. But basically he's one of us now, so we should welcome him with open arms and give him a chance to prove his worth.

cruncher, whilst I appreciate your effort to defend coley, the lad has already been tried and convicted, the only thing left is to appoint an executioner,

anyone who attended riversider's on tues will have heard nobby say 2 had been signed and a 2or 3 were being spoken to
heydude

Post by heydude »

lancaster077 posted:
Props near 18 stone or above.

Joe Vangana 18.8 (brad)
Chris Feather 17.9 (Brad)
Eorl Crabtree 18 (Hudds)
Keith Mason 17.9 (Hudds)
Darril Griffin 18.7 (Hudds)
Ian Kirke 18 (Leeds)
David Mills 18.9 (Quins)
Gareth Carvell 18.7 (Hull)
Hutch Mavia 18 (Hull)
Chris Leikvoll 19.2 (Warrington)
Paul Rauhihi 18.6 (Warrington)
David Tangata-Toa 17.9 (Hull kr)
Gareth Haggarty 18.6 (Salford)
Feka 18.7

Prescott is 14.9
O'Caroll is 14.7

Andy Coly is 17 stone exactly as is Fielden
sorry to say but over half of the players you have named here are crap one of the best props at the moment has been andy lynch at bradford and he is only 17 stone so sometimes weight does not matter.
don't eat yellow snow
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

lancaster077 posted:
If you read my previous posts Coley is not as good as Fletch and gives too many penalties away.

But he is now our player so i will give him my full support if he plays his all for the club, himself and the fans and not just for the wedge of cash and going through the motions like Fielden and DV.

I think if we play Coley as a prop then a couple of more pounds of weight wont hurt him ater all Fielden is too light at 17 stone as a prop according to some people on hear and Coley is the same weight.
CoLey gives nowhere near as many penaltys away as the Saintly O'loughlin, yet you seemed to be praising Lockers to high heaven in another post, is it a case of Boo Hoo Hoo we never signed the player i wanted so all others are poo or do you have the "no player is good enough for Wigan standard" syndrome (as i like to call "head stuck up own backside" syndrome)

the guy hasn't even put a shirt on yet and 6537 fans have already dismissed him as being shi'ite
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Coley has conceded the most penalties of any player this season. I've been supporting him and even I won't dispute that.

It's one area of his game that he really needs to work on
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
lancaster077

Post by lancaster077 »

Coly is leading the charts as the player who gives away the most penalties this year.
With Lockers and Hock i feel we will be in big trouble next year.

Coley needs to take the penalties out of his game.
chrisJJ

Post by chrisJJ »

lancaster077 posted:
Props near 18 stone or above.

Joe Vangana 18.8 (brad)
Chris Feather 17.9 (Brad)
Eorl Crabtree 18 (Hudds)
Keith Mason 17.9 (Hudds)
Darril Griffin 18.7 (Hudds)
Ian Kirke 18 (Leeds)
David Mills 18.9 (Quins)
Gareth Carvell 18.7 (Hull)
Hutch Mavia 18 (Hull)
Chris Leikvoll 19.2 (Warrington)
Paul Rauhihi 18.6 (Warrington)
David Tangata-Toa 17.9 (Hull kr)
Gareth Haggarty 18.6 (Salford)
Feka 18.7

Prescott is 14.9
O'Caroll is 14.7

Just to prove a point and this doesnt include players just over 17 stone e.g. 111kg +.And yes i have far too much time on my hands.

Andy Coly is 17 stone exactly as is Fielden
kirk isnt a prop and O'carroll and presscott are like 19 obviously they need to muscle up, that's why there are suce exciting prospects because they're doing ok now so imagine what they'll be like in a few years time
To be the best
you have to beat the best
lancaster077

Post by lancaster077 »

Hopefully great players because i think they are good players but a little bit light for props.

Just need a bit of muscle and they could be good impact players.

I thought Kirk was mainly a prop who can play in the second row.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

In terms of Coley replacing Fletcher it might be a backward step in some regards. But we need to sign decent players on a decent wage not 1 mega star and blow money we could use on 2 or 3 good players.

Saints sign the odd great player but get very good value for money players. Wilkin being the prime example. Also Fasavalu and Hargraves