Anyone Fancy Starting A Petition For Us TO Keep Micky Higham?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Anyone Fancy Starting A Pe...

Post by DaveO »

butt monkey wrote:
DaveO wrote:It is a part of the modern game I agree but the justifications for Piggy v Micky based on what they earn are just not valid because if we re-signed Higham next season why would it be on mega bucks? It would be a new contract so anyone saying Higham doesn't offer value for money is completely ignoring the fact any deal would have been on new terms. What he earned this last three years is not relevant to any new deal. Why do people not understand this?

Dave
You are assuming that Higham would be willing to accept lower wages from Wigan though Dave. Have you ever heard that he would be willing to do so?
I have no idea but if he was not then that is his decision and he would know the consequences. We would also know Micky had turned down a deal as the club would announce it (they are well aware of the controversy the Higham situation is causing given IL reads the boards. It's even hit the press again).

What I am assuming is that any new contracts offered to any player will meet with IL's satisfaction. If a players refuses than that is OK but I do believe some people seem to think Higham can only be offered mega bucks to stay.
Irrespective of whether they would be "new terms" or not, he would most likely expect a very similar amount as he is currently on, as it would likely be his last for a SL side. So I for one, could not see an interchange hooker (for that was what he made a career on), remaining at a club desperate for a "real" number 9.
That would be up to him to decide. If he doesn't like the terms its up to him but I personally do not think he has been offered anything let alone a deal he would refuse.

Dave
Lil Feka's Dad

Post by Lil Feka's Dad »

butt monkey wrote:
Lil Feka's Dad wrote:
butt monkey wrote: So you "go along" with improving and strengthening the team, so long as Higham is the exception to that, you will be happy?
Apologies for not making my point clearly, please allow me to clarify - I do not believe the Wigan squad will be better without Higham.

As I said, if there is a better hooker available, bring them in. However I believe the best hooker at Wigan is Mickey Higham, so unless the powers that be decide to bring in 2 better hookers, I disagree with the decision not to retain Mickey Higham.
You are contradicting yourself there. You admit that Higham is the best hooker at Wigan :roll: (as if there is much competition). Then say if there is better
bring them in
. Which is exactly what Wigan feel they have done! :eh:

You cannot argue that Higham is/was a better interchange hooker ie made the most impact (and thus performed better), when he came off the bench. This is his problem, no-one to start the game at hooker for Higham at Wigan. With McIlorum at the club (probably for the "long term") then he was the obvious choice to be retained.
Again I apologise for my limited command of the English language.

I believe Mickey Higham is the best hooker at Wigan at present. I believe Higham is a better player than McIllorum.

If management believe they can improve the squad and bring in a better hooker than Mickey Higham, I support that decision. However, given that it is the accepted norm to select 2 hookers, I believe that Mickey Higham would still make a more significant contribution to the team alongside a new hooker than McIllorum would. If there is space within the squad for only 2 hookers, I do not see the benefit in releasing Higham and retaining McIllorum. I disagree with that decision, and believe it would be a better decision to release McIllorum and retain the services of Mickey Higham.

No contradiction there.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

butt monkey wrote:I for one, could not see an interchange hooker (for that was what he made a career on), remaining at a club desperate for a "real" number 9.
By real number 9 do you suggest a hooker who will play for 80 minutes? Are there any teams currently in SL which play the same hooker for the full game? I don't recall any at all, and certainly at Bradford Nobby utilised two hookers. There's nothing to suggest Riddell wouldn't be used in spells - interchanged - any differently to any hookers we've had in recent years.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

pieater-alex wrote:So does anyone want to actually start a petition then?
:lol: :lol:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
j658

Post by j658 »

Maybe we could hand a good luck in your new job card round the JJB for everyone to write a little farewell message.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Fraggle wrote:
butt monkey wrote:I for one, could not see an interchange hooker (for that was what he made a career on), remaining at a club desperate for a "real" number 9.
By real number 9 do you suggest a hooker who will play for 80 minutes? Are there any teams currently in SL which play the same hooker for the full game? I don't recall any at all, and certainly at Bradford Nobby utilised two hookers.
I call "real" no 9's (in the British game at the moment) the likes of KC, Terry Newton, Matt Diskin, John Clarke, Aaron Gorrell, Chad Randall - not saying they are all great, some are mediocre, but none are better coming off the bench as "interchange hookers" like Mick Higham, James Roby, Wayne Godwin, Mark Gleeson are. I think you can recognise that these players, despite all being hookers, have very different styles of play and roles whenever they enter the field of play? All the former players are far better from the kick-off, and they are the sort and style of hooker that Wigan are desperate for. The latter players, despite making big impacts whenever coming from the bench, are often very average when starting games - for whatever reason.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Lil Feka's Dad wrote: Again I apologise for my limited command of the English language.

I believe Mickey Higham is the best hooker at Wigan at present. I believe Higham is a better player than McIllorum.

No contradiction there.
I could be facetious and say....

Ritchie Mathers is the best full back at Wigan, Colbon with his 11 trys is also a proven try scorer at Wigan, that Vaealiki was a great centre in his last 4/5 matches for Wigan, Shem Tatupu looked vey nice in his kit for Wigan etc etc etc. Just because he is the best at the moment in a very inconsistent and at times poor team, does not mean that Wigan should not look for better if it is available - which in Riddell's case, the club obviously hopes it has, in an effort to remove the inconsistencies and at times pathetic play from the team.

Nothing to do with grasping the English Language - just sense.

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Lil Feka's Dad

Post by Lil Feka's Dad »

butt monkey wrote: I could be facetious and say....

Ritchie Mathers is the best full back at Wigan, Colbon with his 11 trys is also a proven try scorer at Wigan, that Vaealiki was a great centre in his last 4/5 matches for Wigan, Shem Tatupu looked vey nice in his kit for Wigan etc etc etc. Just because he is the best at the moment in a very inconsistent and at times poor team, does not mean that Wigan should not look for better if it is available - which in Riddell's case, the club obviously hopes it has, in an effort to remove the inconsistencies and at times pathetic play from the team.
Go on…be facetious…I can take it!

The point of the discussion is not regarding the wisdom of bringing a new hooker into the squad. I think we’re agreed that we both welcome a new addition to the squad. The difference in opinion arises from the fact that I would prefer to keep Higham as I believe he has more to offer than McIllorum, whereas you appear to favour releasing Higham.

I still believe that Higham is a better player than McIllorum

pedro

Post by pedro »

cherry.pie wrote:
Lil Feka's Dad wrote: Go on…be facetious…I can take it!

The point of the discussion is not regarding the wisdom of bringing a new hooker into the squad. I think we’re agreed that we both welcome a new addition to the squad. The difference in opinion arises from the fact that I would prefer to keep Higham as I believe he has more to offer than McIllorum, whereas you appear to favour releasing Higham.

Would you be happy if the club released McIlorum is they needed room on the cap to keep Higham? I know Higham has been much better this season, but considering McIlorum's only 20/21? then Higham should be doing better. McIlorum has time on his side, and could become a very good player, while Higham is good, but probably expensive on the cap. I'd agree with keeping Higham, but not if it meant getting rid of McIlorum. It would just become another example of letting a young player go and then realising their potential.
loan him out
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

pedro wrote:
cherry.pie wrote:
Lil Feka's Dad wrote: Go on…be facetious…I can take it!

Would you be happy if the club released McIlorum is they needed room on the cap to keep Higham? I know Higham has been much better this season, but considering McIlorum's only 20/21? then Higham should be doing better. McIlorum has time on his side, and could become a very good player, while Higham is good, but probably expensive on the cap. I'd agree with keeping Higham, but not if it meant getting rid of McIlorum. It would just become another example of letting a young player go and then realising their potential.
loan him out
Is he willing to go "out on loan" to another club that (like the Feka being forced to sign for Hull thread in the rumour mill), possibly may be against his wishes?

We have a thread arguing about the lack of long term planning for our halves IF Todd Carney is signed on a one year deal. Which, more than likely will see Wigan looking for two new half backs in 2010, as Tim Smith is also likely to depart too. Then we have people stating that we should offer new terms to a player for a seasons long loan term so that McIlorrum can go elsewhere.

Or are you saying when you suggest "loaning" McIlorrum out - so that he doesn't play for Wigan for the full term of his remaining contract, because you are concerned enough that he "might" come back to haunt us, so retain him? :roll: , but just prefer to have your "favourite" in this side?

Don't forget, clubs also have to have a set number of junior players from their ranks in future 25 man squads - so that will also count against Wigan!
:wink: