Have we judged Mathers too early?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan Watcher

Re: Have we judged Mathers too...

Post by Wigan Watcher »

highland convert wrote:We could turn this on its head and talk about how brave Rads was. So if talking about a player’s lack of determination is wrong then so is talking about another’s bravery.

There is a big difference between lack of determination an lack of bottle. You said we all agree with you that Mathers lacks bottle. I said no we do not. Serveral time I have refered to lack of determination in my support for Noble. If the players have a lack on the field that may not be down to the coach. There is a few who have been worse than Mathers in this respect. Calders for one. Fielden first half of the season for another. So have you changed your mind and Mathers now lacks determination not bottle,
Jim
I don’t think I said we all agree.

No I have not changed my mind about Mathers I was trying to say it in a more palatable way for you but I still call a spade a spade and say he lacks bottle.

Do you still think this is a cowardly attack?

highland convert

Post by highland convert »

I do think the duration of the attack has reached its limits. Without some diversification of topic it is cowardly. Nothing new is being said. Mathers himself has spoken about this year and next. Your reference to Ashton and bottle and we must agree suggest you are saying we must agree to Mathers bottling it. This topic run its course once. It was revamped uder this new heading but the posts here are the same as the original. In the last few games he was one of the players who lifted his game. Mistakes he made could be down to a bad read of the situation. Unless you are under a high bomb you don't see the situation so you cannot criticise someone for not catching one. Do you honestlythink the Leeds coach did not suss out the blind spot for the high bombs. Kicking position hight and landing zone would be down to the lat metre. The kick would be practised until webb's leg was sore. You will not give leeds credit for that. Insteadyou run down one of our own.
Jim
pedro

Post by pedro »

He has no pace, lack of positioning and a very poor tackling technique. He does have a lot of enthusiasm and needs to improve his all round game for next year.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

highland convert wrote:I do think the duration of the attack has reached its limits. Without some diversification of topic it is cowardly. Nothing new is being said. Mathers himself has spoken about this year and next. Your reference to Ashton and bottle and we must agree suggest you are saying we must agree to Mathers bottling it. This topic run its course once. It was revamped uder this new heading but the posts here are the same as the original. In the last few games he was one of the players who lifted his game. Mistakes he made could be down to a bad read of the situation. Unless you are under a high bomb you don't see the situation so you cannot criticise someone for not catching one. Do you honestlythink the Leeds coach did not suss out the blind spot for the high bombs. Kicking position hight and landing zone would be down to the lat metre. The kick would be practised until webb's leg was sore. You will not give leeds credit for that. Insteadyou run down one of our own.
Jim
You mention attack again; sorry this is not the case
You mention cowardly, sorry again I don’t know where you get that from.
This site is for discussion and if people say the same things well that’s fine and if you don’t like it then don’t read it!
I’m not saying in any way you must literally agree with anything I say
You mention this topic has run its course once, you will find that a topic dies its own death and not when you think it has.

You go on to mention about Mathers has lifted his game, well that is your opinion and I respect that then you go onto mention why the high bomb was used and that is fair enough.

All in all there has been no attack on anyone or cowardly actions as you put it but that is your opinion. To be honest I just don’t know where you get that statement from, but again this forum is for everyone to say what they want within reason.

I will leave you to ponder over what you have said especially the cowardly attack statement and just see if you can retract it or not.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It is a basic rule of fullback play that you never let the ball bounce. At Headingley he refused to attempt to catch the high kick several times. I cannot imagine Hampo or Rads ever doing so.

We have a fullback that receives favoured status yet he cannot tackle, he cannot catch and offers very little on attack. He is a great cheerleader though.
highland convert

Thats ok CP but this is the www. he cannot answer his critics anywhere but on the field. He says he is going to. Will you apologies if he proves you wrong :)
Jim
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Of course Jim alas I am confident which makes me sad because I have to apologise then at least it is for a far greater cause.

TEW, I am on the slippery slope mate. Carpet slippers and communal bingo next.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

At the end of the day everyone wants Mathers to do well because if he does we are a better team.

I think he has put himself under more pressure with the statement he has made because it is only human nature to see if he is going to do what he said he is..

I would have thought a no statement would have been better and just do it on the field.

Personally I think a big flop is coming for him as he is not that good in my opinion but hey if he proves me wrong then brilliant Il be the first to say I’m wrong.

Good luck to him...He will need it!

Pity other people cant say they are wrong when coming out with comments that are not justified!

It would be Golden to Retrieve a statement one has made...
:wink:

highland convert

WW do you think the statement was to counteract the negative posts he is getting on here. I would expect him to look in on this website. It's human nature to want to. He has taken a pounding. Lets face it I had already said I saw an improvement towards the ens of the season and expect him to continue the lift. End of next season I am Prophet or Pratt. That's life. Jim
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

highland convert wrote:WW do you think the statement was to counteract the negative posts he is getting on here. I would expect him to look in on this website. It's human nature to want to. He has taken a pounding. Lets face it I had already said I saw an improvement towards the ens of the season and expect him to continue the lift. End of next season I am Prophet or Pratt. That's life. Jim
You seem to be digressing from your statement of cowardly attack, but that’s ok lets leave it there and move on.