Low aspirations

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Re: Low aspirations

Post by GeoffN »

OAMJS wrote:
Millward was a good coach it was the board who did not back him in the changing room when he wanted to weed the the chaff out and other cultures

He coached both my lads and they say to this day that he is the best coach they have worked with
Read what Kris has to say about Millward in "Simply Rad" if you get the chance.
yoda warrior

Post by yoda warrior »

cpwigan wrote:
2009 we have far more consistency of performance this season. The major low perfomances seem to have been removed.
How does that statement equate with
Wigan 16 7 0 9 374 321 14
Inconsistency is a trait of Wigan under Noble.

Lows. Wakefield? Catalan (Even IL sent Noble a txt telling him he would not get a new contract after that debacle)

Only 3 clubs in SL are not capable of achieving or bettering our record if they play the same number of games
St Helens 15 12 0 3 441 262 24
Hull K R 15 10 1 4 362 257 21
Leeds 15 10 0 5 379 237 20
Huddersfield 15 10 0 5 370 249 20
Harlequins RL 14 9 0 5 349 259 18
Wakefield 15 8 0 7 354 337 16
Wigan 16 7 0 9 374 321 14
Castleford 15 7 0 8 335 371 14
Hull 15 7 0 8 294 334 14
Warrington 15 7 0 8 345 392 14
Catalans Dragons 15 6 0 9 352 418 12
Sorry but our SQUAD is far far better than those results which means you have to look at the coach. A coach that has had 3 seasons and we still seem stuck in the same malaise. Surely Wigan RLFC has to represent something better than that. No wonder I created a thread called low aspirations. Several fans prove my point.
you seem to be confusing performance and results at the top. i'm talking about
wakefield 38-6 wigan 2007
st helens 57-16 wigan etc
these kind of huge lows have been eradicated, that means consistency of performance has improved. i didn't say consistency of results has improved but that it will if we keep on the same track. this may happen quicker under a different coach, but also that may backfire. i think noble has built good foundations and requires a quality half back to win some of the tight games. he's been unlucky this season in that he's got them consistently competitive at a time when we have thae least skill quality of his tenure.

the lows you mention, sure not the greatest days for the club but we were in those games, weren't MASSIVELY 2nd best and could have won both. the two games mentioned were lost comfortably and early in the game.
i agree our squad compares favourably with most and i think we might be about to hit some form to finish up near the top.

i certainly don't have low aspirations.

looking at saints when he took over, and us, we were miles apart and getting us back to that level was always going to take time. take hull kr in the middle of 06. in a lower division but certainly on a better path than we were. they have got steadily up to the top 4 with quality ball players being the main difference between the clubs now. i put it to you that if barrett had stayed we would be up there with them near the top. most people, me included, credit justin morgan a great deal for what they've done and people say what a great coach he is. it isn't nobles fault that our best player of recent times left and wasn't replaced. if he was still here nobles achievement would mirror morgan but he wouldn't get anywhere near the credit.

i'd be inclined to give noble one more year with a quality half and if the improvement doesn't come, then will be time to go for me. replacing him at the end of the year isn't necessarily the answer.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

We have done some creative moves this season with smith's and lockers miss out passes I dont think the problem can be put down to losing Barrett as you suggest, of course we miss him but that doesn't explain the fact that Sam Tomkins splits a defence on more than one occasion one week and gets dropped the next or that Amos Roberts who according to Nobby earlier on in the season is an exceptional fullback yet he gets beaten everytime a ball gets kicked to the corner yet he gets picked every week. Or that once again this season the defence seem to be taking more out of our props than the other way round. We're still making the same silly mistakes in crucial positions and letting tries in due to lapses in concentration. I'd go as far to say that if we did have Barrett this year we may have done better but we'd been in a far worse position for next year because Sam would have stagnated completely in the reserves and we'd have had the same problem of inexperience next year. We have Fielden who everyone knows is overpaid etc etc yet despite the fact that some people are too afraid to drop him we played better against Salford without him than with him in the team in fact last week we actually went backwards when he came on because he managed to rile them. Amos Roberts uses a quota spot which could have gone on a half back, young or otherwise but he actually does even less than Mr Average Colbon we got rid of and Piggy who has two decent games so far and some people claim that justifies his signing. Yes we may have had some closer games but Saints have certainly gone backwards despite their position in the League and its not as if we've had a 66-6 like we did against hull last year, we always end up conceding a few more points. When players supposedly arent good enough or ready to play for Wigan yet seem to do ok for teams that are better than us then there's something wrong, and when players like Pryce get mentioned in the 19 EVER, it really does make you wonder what planet our coach is on. People insist on saying how well other coaches are doing with squads that seem worse than ours yet give reasons/excuses why we aren't performing without mentioning the coach. It goes both ways.

The latest has been that Nobby hasnt picked the players, yet as a 'World Class' coach he still wants to stay in a situation that could potentially ruin his career. Strange isn't it?
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."