Re: All Credit To Brian Noble

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Panchitta Marra wrote: Maybe a change of coach at this time of the season is not a good thing.
I agree and ironically wigan49's original suggestion of out by Easter would have been the time to act to give the new coach some time to get the team playing better this season and have input on signings for next season.

It's too late for either now IMO.
My concern is that Noble inherited an extremely successful team from Brian Smith & Mathew Elliot.
Whatever the reasons for his success at Bradford it is what he does at Wigan that counts.

What he has done here so far leaves me with three major concerns:

1. For three seasons running we have had poor starts to the season and the evidence shows the teams that are consistent and play well all season end up at the top of the league and they are the ones who win the GF. The notion of peaking at the right time is a myth as evidenced by the facts as to which teams have actually won the competition.

2. His selection policy which remains pick the established players if fit regardless of form. This is actually my biggest criticism of him and I fear if he gets a new deal of any length he will be severely detrimental to the prospects and development of our younger players who he will never pick unless forced into it. I am not suggesting we pick the entire junior side or go for an all Wigan produced team. Far from it but his selection policy is downright poor.

3. He doesn't seem to actually coach the side. Our players have faults and these never seem to get addressed. It could be lack of fitness, poor ball retention, giving too many penalties away or whatever but they don't seem to get any coaching to improve on these aspects. They still do it and we end up with inconsistent results across the season.

I don't think any of the above three points can seriously be argued against with any conviction as I think they stand out as obvious issues with his time here. I simply do not have the faith he can rectify any of these issues because he has not done so over three years. Why will he do it over the next one or two?

Dave
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

THE 18th Man wrote:i travel to all home matches and almost all away matches and spend hundreds of pounds on the club every year and love supporting the team just because you dont like someones opinion it doesnt mean your right
I live 2 miles from the JJB Stadium so that must mean I am not so much of a supporter. Maybe I should move to Newcastle so that I will also have an expensive round trip and therefore be able to expect my comments to be read with much more gravitas!! :(
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote:
THE 18th Man wrote:i travel to all home matches and almost all away matches and spend hundreds of pounds on the club every year and love supporting the team just because you dont like someones opinion it doesnt mean your right
I live 2 miles from the JJB Stadium so that must mean I am not so much of a supporter. Maybe I should move to Newcastle so that I will also have an expensive round trip and therefore be able to expect my comments to be read with much more gravitas!! :(
Out of order!

You have deliberately taken those two lines out of context to make a point.

Had you included in your quote the previous lines:

"and finally just because i dont like Nobles coaching it doesnt mean im a so called fan."

And read the post this was a reply to it would be obvious all they were doing is showing they were a fan having been labelled a "so called fan".

There is nothing in the original post to imply you or anyone else is a lesser fan just because they live in Wigan.

Dave
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

HC wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote: Maybe a change of coach at this time of the season is not a good thing.
1. For three seasons running we have had poor starts to the season and the evidence shows the teams that are consistent and play well all season end up at the top of the league and they are the ones who win the GF. The notion of peaking at the right time is a myth as evidenced by the facts as to which teams have actually won the competition.

And three years running we have had different key players or players coming through. Injuries and suspensions also played a major role. Name the teams that have been consistant throughout the season. We were virtually a new team this season with players gone and new players in the playmaking role. Other teams hit the ground running and we did not cope. We played as well as we were allowed to. Now we are better. Sam has played a vital role since he emerged yes but Smith was also showing why we brought him over. Riddell who had so much flak also shows why we needed him. Lockers really stepped up to the plate. MM was there alredy even if as understudy, When the knives were out for Noble he stuck by his guns and now we are reaping the benifit.
2. His selection policy which remains pick the established players if fit regardless of form. This is actually my biggest criticism of him and I fear if he gets a new deal of any length he will be severely detrimental to the prospects and development of our younger players who he will never pick unless forced into it. I am not suggesting we pick the entire junior side or go for an all Wigan produced team. Far from it but his selection policy is downright poor.
Why he is the one working with the players. He is the one reading the results from the physios, He is the one that sees them week in week out in the training park. The idea of dump them and replace is not an option of the players are coming through. The established players had to earn the right to be there. Again Noble stuck to it and the team emerged.

3. He doesn't seem to actually coach the side. Our players have faults and these never seem to get addressed. It could be lack of fitness, poor ball retention, giving too many penalties away or whatever but they don't seem to get any coaching to improve on these aspects. They still do it and we end up with inconsistent results across the season.
Every match is different. Every ref is different. Ganson would penalise for a ball steal, Silverwood would not recognise one if it happened in front of his face. You cannot fault Noble for player error on the field. Salford beat stains, Celtic beat us. It happens. The only teams that beat us the last two seasons was the front runners. The cup defeat against Cats, Johns admitted they had saved the players for the match because they had no fear of religation. Noble has had his problems but he has worked through them.

There again I still think Barrett was a liability that undermined Noble, so what do I know,
Jim
Edited by DaveO to sort the quoting out.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

DaveO wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:
Out of order!

You have deliberately taken those two lines out of context to make a point.

Had you included in your quote the previous lines:

"and finally just because i dont like Nobles coaching it doesnt mean im a so called fan."

And read the post this was a reply to it would be obvious all they were doing is showing they were a fan having been labelled a "so called fan".

There is nothing in the original post to imply you or anyone else is a lesser fan just because they live in Wigan.

Dave
Sorry Dave, and you are quite right!

Just got a Tax Rebate this morning so I am feeling a bit skittish!

New I would get a good reaction from someone, and my money was on you!!

Sorry again!! :D :D :D
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

DaveO wrote:
I agree and ironically wigan49's original suggestion of out by Easter would have been the time to act to give the new coach some time to get the team playing better this season and have input on signings for next season.

It's too late for either now IMO.
My concern is that Noble inherited an extremely successful team from Brian Smith & Mathew Elliot.
Whatever the reasons for his success at Bradford it is what he does at Wigan that counts.

What he has done here so far leaves me with three major concerns:

I don't think any of the above three points can seriously be argued against with any conviction as I think they stand out as obvious issues with his time here. I simply do not have the faith he can rectify any of these issues because he has not done so over three years. Why will he do it over the next one or two?

Dave
As you say Dave.
Point 1, evidence repeatedly shows he will continue to condition for the end of the season run in.
Controlled rest rotation of squad players throughout the season is a far better method in my mind, failing injuries.
Point 2, Forced player selection has shown how well our younger players can perform.
Like you I think there are senior players who are good, O'loughlin, for example, however, the selection of Pryce, Tim Smith over Sam Tomkins, plus Riddell over Mike McIllorum has been a no brainer.
Point 3. IMO we have the best try scorer in SL.
Shaun Ainscough's confidence is down, in part due to the labelling of his poor defence especially under the high ball. As a good coach, with dedicated training, plus changing how we defend, to help SA out.
There is no reason why Ainscough could not be the seasons top try scorer with some good coaching.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

cpwigan wrote:Who are these regular posters Guy?

I am led to believe numerous times after a bad result fans have been at one anothers throats in the South Stand Bar over reactions when Vievers et al enter both positive and negative.

If moderators believe a comment is unacceptable they should moderate it.
mike binder nobbys girl??? there are 2 i can name
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
jackoh

Post by jackoh »

Ellery you`ve missed the point , we want a coach who can coach a team all season , you`ve just picked out two games , I can pick out 5 early season games where we were very poor , plus Celtic.
It s not rocket science to see that the teams picked up when the uounger players have come in.
This is Nobles trouble he won`t play them " DUTY OF CARE".
We would have been pressing for top spot but for these bad games .
Lets look at the season as a whole and not last week .
Nobles got to go !!!!
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

If we had Richard Myler ,Joe Westerman and Sam Burgess in our reserves would they be internationals under Noble.???????????????????????????????????????
IMHO they would have not have had any game time at all DUTY OF CARE .

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

mike binder wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Who are these regular posters Guy?

I am led to believe numerous times after a bad result fans have been at one anothers throats in the South Stand Bar over reactions when Vievers et al enter both positive and negative.

If moderators believe a comment is unacceptable they should moderate it.
mike binder nobbys girl??? there are 2 i can name
Mike Binder now self employed, change of circumstances
Gemma, busy as can be with TP, change of circumstances