Please Sky, put us out of our misery

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Re: Please Sky, put us out of our misery

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Eddie Waring , Saturday afternoon Granstand on BBC 1 , Tuesday night BBC 2 Floodlight Rugby League . My first introduction to this great game and the Mighty Wigan RLFC.

Am I old and past it or what ?
2002 and EW is hooked
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

Well, I'm outnumbered, so I bow to the views of the rest. Eddie Waring was clearly OK, so that's OK with me.
Just on a point of order however I was born and bred in Wigan and still sound like it after all these years. I never mentioned accents, and of course when I walk round Wigan - I haven't got one, just like everyone else in our great and ancient town (the oldest in Lancashire as a matter of fact).
Stevethegas
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Steve don't worry about being outnumbered I get it all the time. It doesn't mean you're wrong just that you have a different opinion. When you're a Wigan fan with a broad west yorkshire accent living in Hull you get used to it.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Went to Bournmouth about 30 years ago and talking to an engine driver on the station.He asked me where I came from and i said Wigan his reply to me was love watching Rugby League and listening to Eddie Waring .
BriH

Post by BriH »

Didn't mean to imply there was something wrong with having a Northen accent! Just the fact that Eddie Waring's accent became synonymous with RL i.e. The North. I didn't think it was that strong actually.
Josie, you summarised everything I think is wrong with Eddie and Stevo.
Trouble is, if you were at a match you could turn round and tell them to shut up - can't do that with the tele unfortunately. I don't like turning off the sound because I like to hear the crowd. Why doesn't Sky bring in the commentator mute button like they have in football?
Returning to Northern accents. I first went to Sunderland Poly, where a Malaysian girl with a perfect English accent asked me why I didn't speak English properly?
As she was very beautiful and I fancied her rotten I didn't take offence!! A long, long time ago!!
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Brilliant I hope your willingness to forgive paid dividends :lol:
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."