Next Season Centre?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Next Season Centre?

Post by josie andrews »

cherry.pie wrote:The only second row I'd consider at centre would be Jack Hughes, simply because it would allow him to get some first team experience which might be harder to come by with three new arrivals in the pack. He's big, quick and has good hands, but it still means a player being moved from his best position.
I asked Jack Hughes if he could play centre at the End of Season Dinner, He replied he didn't think he was big or fast enough!! But I agree with you cherry, he's a cracking prospect :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Just imagine Goulding and Roberts in the same threequarter line,we would be in serious trouble defensively.As for keep throwing youngsters in it is not the best idea.Yes Lomax and Gaskell did a decent enough job but Stains were forced into it,and lets not forget they won nothing.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

cherry.pie wrote:
josie andrews wrote:I asked Jack Hughes if he could play centre at the End of Season Dinner, He replied he didn't think he was big or fast enough!! But I agree with you cherry, he's a cracking prospect :)
He must be big enough. Didn't he make his Wigan debut against Barrow at prop?
I'm not sure how quick he is but he looks to have a fair bit of pace when I've seen him. In the 9's tournament at Orrell he was unstoppable out wide.
I hope he gets some first team opportunities this year, hopefully for Wigan but if not out on loan at a Super League club.
I agree with you cherry I think he is big & fast enough, perhaps he was being bashful! I also hope he gets some first team games this year :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Keith Senior? :wink:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Unfortunately, one of the issues holding British RL back is this pre-occupation and obsession with size. Yeoman is a prime example of a sluggish, limited skilled but big centre. Is that really what people want.

Whether it is by accident or design, both Saints and Leeds benefitted from having to blood young, fast, evasive backs. Leeds now have two fantastic young centres, Saints have several young backs.

Sadly for many Wigan fans, our youngsters are never good enough, need a year somewhere else etc We have a dilemna; George is on his last legs, Pat on his last contract and a centre spot vacant. The worst case scenario is to do nothing and have to replace 3 or more backs in a single season. Calculated gradual progression with a slow but measured turnover of playing personnel brings success.

Many Wigan fans are Wigan RLFC's worst enemies.
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

Whispers on RLFans that Jack Reed was seen with Sam around Wigan today, hopefully Sam was bending his ear about how great both the club and town are. :eusa10:
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:Unfortunately, one of the issues holding British RL back is this pre-occupation and obsession with size. Yeoman is a prime example of a sluggish, limited skilled but big centre. Is that really what people want.

Whether it is by accident or design, both Saints and Leeds benefitted from having to blood young, fast, evasive backs. Leeds now have two fantastic young centres, Saints have several young backs.

Sadly for many Wigan fans, our youngsters are never good enough, need a year somewhere else etc We have a dilemna; George is on his last legs, Pat on his last contract and a centre spot vacant. The worst case scenario is to do nothing and have to replace 3 or more backs in a single season. Calculated gradual progression with a slow but measured turnover of playing personnel brings success.

Many Wigan fans are Wigan RLFC's worst enemies.
Yeaman at 5' 11" & 93kg is that really being size obsessive for a centre.
At Wigan Martin Gleeson was 6' 1" and around 95 kg and that looked pretty normal for a centre.
In 2011 Yeaman was the equal Second highest "tries scored" centre with Atkins on 21 and just 3 behind Wellham who scored 24.
Not bad for a sluggish, limited skilled centre to be honest.
Maybe Ive got it all wrong, as Yeaman and Yeoman must be two totally different centres. :D
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Yeaman has been shown up badly in the 4N. I do not believe players should be judged marely on tries scored and apparently many Wigan seem to think the same given how poorly they rate Goulding for example.

Yeaman IMO is too slow, lacking evasion skills for a top centre and that in many respects comes down to his bulk. The worst thing that ever happened under Noble was an obsession to add bulk to Goulding.

The worlds best centre Inglis face a constant battle to optimize his speed & body shape because he can very easily become too bulk and whomever you are we add bulk naturally with age.

Dean Bell was a great centre was he not. I personally think Michael Jenning is a fantastic centre; Both hardly the biggest and never bulky. Ashton and Fox were a fantastic British centre pairing with very different body shapes.

You optimize what you are, you do not try to become something that you are not and one model does not fit all.
markill

Post by markill »

What about Arundel at Cas? He isn't a bad shout as a young player - I'd prefer someone seasoned but i can't see much about to choose from. Why do you think Jack Reed has been brought in in the first place? We're all aware super league isn't a wash with quality centres.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Wes

Post by Wes »

Josh Charnley would make an awesome centre, if memory serves he played on the left side for KR I too would play him on the left, I would use Carmont sparingly this year as cover or if needed and blood CHarnley in on that side with the ever solid Pat outside him.

On the right I would try Acton/Goulding/Reed if rumours are to be belived with Amos outside him with Ryan King in the waiting.

The thing is with us Wigan fans we want instant success, I would prefer to look after our youth and give them a chance!

Our youth are a predictable risk, with all risk to the coaching staff, to many of us they are the unknown!
1 thing about them being unknow is it creates excitement! I say bring it on!