Shameful Schoolboy Amateur RL

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Shameful Schoolboy Amateur RL

Post by DaveO »

Kiwiseddon - I go out of my way to make sure the family calender allows me to get to as many games as possible and I also have a drive along the M56 ad M6 for home games so I am certainly committed to the cause regardless of who is coach or how the team goes.

In 2006 when Noble arrived and Fielden was leading the pack our "great escape" was fantastic. I was there for every round.

I think the upshot of what I am trying to say is support is not an issue for event those perceived to be most cynical of posters on here. I do not think there are any fair whether fans who post on this forum.

Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

DaveO wrote:Kiwiseddon - I go out of my way to make sure the family calender allows me to get to as many games as possible and I also have a drive along the M56 ad M6 for home games so I am certainly committed to the cause regardless of who is coach or how the team goes.

In 2006 when Noble arrived and Fielden was leading the pack our "great escape" was fantastic. I was there for every round.

I think the upshot of what I am trying to say is support is not an issue for event those perceived to be most cynical of posters on here. I do not think there are any fair whether fans who post on this forum.

A fair point but I'm not suggesting that the people on here are not true supporters, I know we all care.
It just frustrates me that there is so much negativity even if there is every reason to be negative.
I regard Wigan as an escape, something I love and look forward to, as I'm sure you do. I just wish that we could occasionally overlook the glaring problems and accept that they're there but continue to support the club and celebrate its successes.
I'm of the opinion that it's our duty to pick up the team, like a true 18th man even in the worst situations.
I cannot analyse and critique games, coaching techniques and performances like CP and you but I'm not stupid (not that you were implying I was) and can see the problems. I just don't see what being negative about them can achieve. I don't believe that I can change Wane or IL's opinion on anything but what I can do is put on a cherry and white shirt and scream until I'm hoarse. If that helps my team and my club even the slightest percent then I'm glad I've done it.
I just want more positivity throughout the forum without being accused of being a happy clapper.
I genuinely believe that if every fan just shouted that little bit louder, sometimes it might be the difference between winning and losing. May be that's Utopian, I don't know but I sure as hell know that booing our team, as has been done in the past, ain't gonna help one jot.

"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I know (Obviously Binder wrongly believes otherwise) that player are NOW instructed to take chances, play as they see fit which is a far cry from the disciplined, methodicical eliminate mistakes RL that Madge gave them.

Anybody who believes you can play harlem globetrotter RL and be successful is deluded. The philosophy of WAne seems far closer to Gary Schofield than Madge.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

cpwigan wrote:Anybody who believes you can play harlem globetrotter RL and be successful is deluded. The philosophy of WAne seems far closer to Gary Schofield than Madge.
Weren't the great, successful Saints teams of the last 10-15 years referred to as the Harlem Globe Trotters of RL?
Apart from that, I agree that we need to show more composure and structure, apply more persistent pressure and then reap the rewards. I left Friday's game feeling extremely frustrated and disappointed.
Frustrated that the game was there for the taking and we should / could have won by 20 points. But, disappointed that we had so many stupid handling errors and instead of building pressure, we seemed to go for the miracle play instead.

I think I'm right in saying that we didn't force one single drop out from Wire. That's scandalous in modern RL, especially when we spent so much time in their half of the pitch.

weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

Sutty wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Anybody who believes you can play harlem globetrotter RL and be successful is deluded. The philosophy of WAne seems far closer to Gary Schofield than Madge.
Weren't the great, successful Saints teams of the last 10-15 years referred to as the Harlem Globe Trotters of RL?
Apart from that, I agree that we need to show more composure and structure, apply more persistent pressure and then reap the rewards. I left Friday's game feeling extremely frustrated and disappointed.
Frustrated that the game was there for the taking and we should / could have won by 20 points. But, disappointed that we had so many stupid handling errors and instead of building pressure, we seemed to go for the miracle play instead.

I think I'm right in saying that we didn't force one single drop out from Wire. That's scandalous in modern RL, especially when we spent so much time in their half of the pitch.
Hi Sutty, you're right about the Harlem Globetrotter tag that Saints attracted. It's the bit that people remember more than anything, but the flamboyance was built on having the quickest play the ball of any of the superleague teams. Millward specifically coached them to find the floor as quickly as possible and play the ball as quickly as possible to either get a penalty for offside or steamroller the opposition. Their mentality was we'll just score more than you.

It would have been interesting to see how Saints in their prime of this play, say 2003/04 wold have coped with a defence orientated team like Wigan 2010.
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

:lol: That's why it's fresh in my mind.

Watching them last night I thought 'Oh sh&t, they look like a classic Saints side again'.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

weststand-rich wrote:
Sutty wrote:

Hi Sutty, you're right about the Harlem Globetrotter tag that Saints attracted. It's the bit that people remember more than anything, but the flamboyance was built on having the quickest play the ball of any of the superleague teams. Millward specifically coached them to find the floor as quickly as possible and play the ball as quickly as possible to either get a penalty for offside or steamroller the opposition. Their mentality was we'll just score more than you.

It would have been interesting to see how Saints in their prime of this play, say 2003/04 wold have coped with a defence orientated team like Wigan 2010.
The Harlem Globetrotter (2006) style of play, albeit disciplined, returned on Sunday with a hammering to the Whinos.
Mike Rush was clearly trying to mimic a style he knows well from his assistant coaching days with Anderson.
It worked to very good effect and was exciting to watch too.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Kiwi. As a serving copper you must get more than your fair share of frustration and disappointment than most who post on here so I can well understand your ability to relax and enjoy watching our team regardless of what happens!

And on an unrelated point, what is this obsession with Garry bloody Schofield who lasted 5 minutes at Barrow no less?