Danny Maguire

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Matthew

Re: Danny Maguire

Post by Matthew »

As soon as I saw:
He has been charged by the RFL's match-review panel with a grade offence, which carries a suspension of one or two matches.
Ban of one match, quashed on appeal.

Disgusting

"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

I think you are right Matthew, and if that is the case then our Club should request a re trial for MM or question the decision given to Maguire. The only doubt I have to it being quashed on appeal is he has already given an early guilty plea in the last 12 months and served a ban.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
michael inch stoke

Re: Common sense to provale

Post by michael inch stoke »

Kittwazzer wrote:
Fujiman wrote:Think you should turn spell check on :conf:
Bet he doesn't win menny gaims of Skrabel! :lol:
:lol: :lol:
markill

Post by markill »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:I think you are right Matthew, and if that is the case then our Club should request a re trial for MM or question the decision given to Maguire. The only doubt I have to it being quashed on appeal is he has already given an early guilty plea in the last 12 months and served a ban.
I'm pretty confident McGuire won't be playing against us. A lot of similar offences to this from this season that have gone to disciplinary as a grade B for reckless high contact have resulted in a one match ban, but most have been early guilty plea or people with a previously clean record. A notable exception is Brent Webb, who got the maximum 2 games (yes, thats right, he plays for Leeds and got the maximum 2 games). No one they've charged with this got away with just a fine, all missed at least one game.

As McGuire doesn't have a clean record this season it's very hard to imagine he will get off completely, even on appeal, but as he doesn't have as bad a record as Webb over the years, and has never been called up for this type of offence before, they might just give him one game. I hope not.

By the way, this year Wigan have had 7 charges (according to RFL website) and only two players have had the maximum ban - Hock and McIllorum, who don't exactly have clean records.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
OJ

Post by OJ »

markill wrote:
OJ wrote:Looks like he has got 1 match - we await the appeal

http://www.therfl.co.uk/disciplinary/item?3844
That link is for a different offence back in July. The disciplinary meet on a Tuesday.
:redf: :redf: Sorry everyone must have been wishful thinking, I was so busy getting to the nitty gritty at the end I didn't read which match it was for - think I had better go to specsavers :eusa17:
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

markill wrote: A notable exception is Brent Webb, who got the maximum 2 games (yes, thats right, he plays for Leeds and got the maximum 2 games). No one they've charged with this got away with just a fine, all missed at least one game.
Wasn't Webb injured at the time; making it irrelevant?
markill wrote: As McGuire doesn't have a clean record this season it's very hard to imagine he will get off completely, even on appeal, but as he doesn't have as bad a record as Webb over the years, and has never been called up for this type of offence before, they might just give him one game. I hope not.

By the way, this year Wigan have had 7 charges (according to RFL website) and only two players have had the maximum ban - Hock and McIllorum, who don't exactly have clean records.
What was the grade of McIlorum's charge? Clearly it was deemed more serious than McGuire's as the maximum ban he can face is 2 games. The idea that poor ickle Danny wasn't trying to hurt Anderson is nonsense, I've never seen someone successfully tackle someone who is 90 degrees to them by forearm smashing them in the shins...

The point that I am trying to make is that players from certain clubs are more likely to be charged with a more serious offence - like MM and in a lot of cases, not at all.

As you say, McGuire may escape with a one match ban; however part of the frustration was that bent haler didn't send him off and he then went on to score the match winning try. MM was sent off 20 minutes into the game on the advice of the video ref - where was this on Friday night? The whole thing stinks.

With the prospect of the whinoes getting to another GF, you can bet you balls to a barndance that Hetherington will spend more time at red hall than headingly in an attempt to make sure that if McGuire faces as small a ban as possible.

"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
markill

Post by markill »

I'm not disagreeing with you, but just trying to add some facts to base our expectations on. I agree that the in game actions being so different from the same officials is ridiculous, but I can accept that MM's has been graded higher based on them seeing it as late and high (it was a C, max ban 3 games) but seeing DM as high only (so grade B max 2 games).

My opinion is he will get a one game ban, which isn't sufficient given he already has a record this year and didn't get called to justice in the game.

My issue wouldn't so much be the grading of the offences they call up for disciplinary, but the amount of similarly dangerous incidents that don't even get picked up by the MRP to be sent to disciplinary.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

To be honest with or without McGuire we will smash Leeds on Friday night, so don't give him a ban RFL, make it all the more sweeter on Friday when we win, in style!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

McGuire should be banned - Wane

SHAUN Wane reckons Leeds ace Danny McGuire deserves to be banned for this Friday’s play-off showdown at Wigan.

The Rhinos halfback faces the RFL disciplinary panel tonight after being charged with a Grade B high tackle during last Friday’s win at Catalan.

If found guilty, he faces a one or two match suspension.

And after seeing star hooker Mike McIlorum slapped with a three-game ban earlier this month for a high challenge, Wane admits he will be watching developments at Red Hall with interest.

He said: “If there’s any consistency from the review panel and the disciplinary then Danny won’t be playing on Friday because, if anything, what he did was worse than what Micky did.

“I expect him to be suspended. It’s straight forward to me, if Micky got three weeks for what he did... but I’m not holding my breath on that one.

“I’ll be watching it closely.”

Wane added: “Danny McGuire is a quality player but without him, Leeds still have a lot of attacking threats. So we’ll be ready, no matter whether he’s playing or not.”

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... -1-4958562
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

29wes28 wrote:I can't believe it's a B and not a C we'll I can he plays for Leeds, interesting that Fakir gets nothing for leading with the elbows yet probably the 1st player ever to get a B for a high tackle on burrows when common sense should prevail here given burrows is only 1ft1.
He did not lead with the elbow, pure and simple, it was a good fend. It should not have been a penalty. First contact was the wrist . The player slid down the arm. The arm was only slightly bent to cushion impact. Correct decision. As for high tackle, Burrows dived. Minimum contact with head as Fakir grabed shoulder. Burrows stopped as if he had dropped anchor. Hopefully no further action there. Jim