Who will replace Faz

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Re: Who will replace Faz

Post by GeoffN »

thegimble posted:
heydude posted:
thegimble posted:

We did didnt we ?

His first post and he has just pit most of us in our place. EXACTLY

Well done mate.
thank you for the compliment the gimble and to the rest of you i think we are hoping who we can get which is no-one until next season, just consider that if we get into the top four or the play offs it's a bonus this year and started looking ahead to next season, i know i sound too negative (which i don't want to) but just trying to be realistic.(hoping i am prove wrong we get to the grand final and win it).
Im the same but you know in a couple of years we will dominate again. In no small partly due to the Youth system.
Assuming we can keep them all!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

GeoffN posted:
thegimble posted:
heydude posted: thank you for the compliment the gimble and to the rest of you i think we are hoping who we can get which is no-one until next season, just consider that if we get into the top four or the play offs it's a bonus this year and started looking ahead to next season, i know i sound too negative (which i don't want to) but just trying to be realistic.(hoping i am prove wrong we get to the grand final and win it).
Im the same but you know in a couple of years we will dominate again. In no small partly due to the Youth system.
Assuming we can keep them all!
Most are now on a long term contract and will be here for at least 4-5 years. We just need a couple of World Class OZ/NZ players there and we will dominate. Look at Leeds now they are starting to reap the benefits of what Dean Bell did but it takes time.

Clubs like the Bulls and Saints will struggle in the next 2-4 years if they do not get a youth system as good as what we have in place.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

thegimble posted:
Most are now on a long term contract and will be here for at least 4-5 years.
Hmm, long-term contracts. Where've I heard about those recently? They're not good enough (it seems) for Farrell, no guarantee they'll be any different for the kids.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Fraggle posted:
thegimble posted:
Hmm, long-term contracts. Where've I heard about those recently? They're not good enough (it seems) for Farrell, no guarantee they'll be any different for the kids.
Not only that but unless the 20/20 rule goes Wigan will be forced to relase some of the current crop of youngsters in the first team squad.

If you look at at the squad, minus Farrel it is 26 in number. Nine of them are newly promoted to the squad and likely to be on £20K or less.

So we have 17 currently on more then £20K a year leaving space for only three of the nine to be awarded wages of more than £20K as they gain experience.

The other alternative is ship out experienced players but the squad is already lacking that, especially with the loss of Farrell.

So don't be surprised to see several of these youngsters cut over the next couple of seasons. Probably not through choice but because of the rules.

Dave
gab0512

Post by gab0512 »

DaveO it seems that it is a little naive to believe that Wigan have not told a player to leave if not good enough. It is also a little naive to believe that players will not move on if either unhappy or tempted by another offer.

If anybody in any walk of life was approached by another company, and offered a lot more money to go and work for them. Then they would seriously consider it and either stay or go (depending on individuals circumstances at that moment). For those of us 'ordinary' individuals who swap jobs - are we not honouring the contract and being disloyal to our fellow colleagues!

If Faz is tempted by another job with more money, and wishes to go. Then ML is obligated to try and get the best deal for the club. I cannot believe that people think he should stay and honour his contract just because he is our most high profile player! It doesn't make a difference to the individual as Faz is looking after his no.1 priority - his family. Any one of us would do the same.

The fact is that Faz is not 100% happy at Wigan after receiving the offer from RU. We would not keep any player who is unhappy, because in my opinion, he will not perform as well than if he was fully content. We have therefore struck a deal to buy out his notice period and got as much money as possilbe (good deal). I am pretty sure that if Faz requested a transfer and we refused full stop, he may be on the first plane to the European court of human rights stating restraint of trade.

We can't live in the past neither. Whether it is your opinion or my opinion, nobody knows at this moment in time, how Faz will return. Either at the same standard or worse. He could play his first game and injury the weakened knees. Who knows - nobody does.

My option would be to think about the future not look back.
heydude

Post by heydude »

DaveO posted:
Fraggle posted:
thegimble posted:
Not only that but unless the 20/20 rule goes Wigan will be forced to relase some of the current crop of youngsters in the first team squad.

If you look at at the squad, minus Farrel it is 26 in number. Nine of them are newly promoted to the squad and likely to be on £20K or less.

So we have 17 currently on more then £20K a year leaving space for only three of the nine to be awarded wages of more than £20K as they gain experience.

The other alternative is ship out experienced players but the squad is already lacking that, especially with the loss of Farrell.

So don't be surprised to see several of these youngsters cut over the next couple of seasons. Probably not through choice but because of the rules.

Dave
I agree we could have success for 2-3 season like leeds are having now with their youth system but with the salary cap how many of them youngsters in a winning team will be tempted to go to other teams for more money and no more winning team,sometimes i wish that the salary cap was not a concern and more was focused on player development this applies to quite a few teams even some of the big four (don't want to mention names) (but i bet you can guess).
don't eat yellow snow
gab0512

Post by gab0512 »

The salary cap doesn't concern me at all. The 20/20 ruling and £1.8m should allow an average annual salary of £90k each! The issue comes in paying over this for the 'star' players. If we paid the up and coming players (for argument sake 10 out of 20) who have progressed through the academy say £40k each. This then allows £1.4m to be paid across the other 10 1st team squad members who are the seasoned professionals and stars. As the academy players gain experience and become better players, then we can increase their wages and allow for the older players to move on - squad rotation! If some of the 1st team squad are unhappy or cannot make the grade, we can move them on instead and bring through others.
proud_pie_eater

Post by proud_pie_eater »

Wigan may have 20 players on 20k but gareth hock last year was only on 10k and kevin brown on 12k it just makes you think where all the money is going.
NUMBER 1 SPOT HERE WE COME!!!
heydude

Post by heydude »

gab0512 posted:
The salary cap doesn't concern me at all. The 20/20 ruling and £1.8m should allow an average annual salary of £90k each! The issue comes in paying over this for the 'star' players. If we paid the up and coming players (for argument sake 10 out of 20) who have progressed through the academy say £40k each. This then allows £1.4m to be paid across the other 10 1st team squad members who are the seasoned professionals and stars. As the academy players gain experience and become better players, then we can increase their wages and allow for the older players to move on - squad rotation! If some of the 1st team squad are unhappy or cannot make the grade, we can move them on instead and bring through others.
if only this can happened in the real world it would be nice but you will always have players who will want more money for their required skills remember this is not a life long job so you've got to get as much money as you can.
don't eat yellow snow
proud_pie_eater

Post by proud_pie_eater »

exactly why Faz will go :( if he does!

I still have a little faith!
NUMBER 1 SPOT HERE WE COME!!!