Long to quit Salford & take role with Wigan U19's

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
the winky one

Re: Long to quit Salford & take role with Wigan U19's

Post by the winky one »

cpwigan wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:
cpwigan wrote:I was told this week that Waney wanted Long at Wigan but they did not have a spot for him. Perhaps they do now.
Wasn't Sculthorpe on our radar at one point?
Apparently.

Long seems to have some decent coaching ability from what people say and despite his 'antics' his father was no mug in that department either.
He's hardly a good role model to young people though is he?

:eusa13:
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Are we that desperate for a coach for our younger players that we have to employ someone with a background like Long's?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

l plyers with bad history. Some go on to become superb role models; E.G Ellery / Jon Clarke
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

In the case of Clarke and Long, try telling that to the victims!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

We would be at crisis point even compared to now if we stopped players with a criminal record / past from participating in our sport.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

What,even those who break a person's jaw?

As bad as or even worse than biting a player's arm or ear!
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Whelley Warrior wrote:What,even those who break a person's jaw?

As bad as or even worse than biting a player's arm or ear!
Or punching a girl in the face. Or swamping a bed in a strangers house, that you had smashed the door in, in order to gain entry. Or chucking a strangers bike in to a river when you're cycling drunk. Or taking banned PED's. Or turning up drunk to numerous training sessions. Or having another court case hanging over you for allegedly punching another woman in the face.

It's these and many other indiscretions that bother me. If Long can improve our youngsters, not be a bad influence on them and can sort himself out, then he deserves a chance. Jon Clarke was slightly different, granted he battered someone and served time for it, but he seemed to really sort himself out after that. Long just seems to go from one incident to another.

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Thing is, all of these unsavoury incidents are in the public domain since the idiot decided to publish them in his book!

Everyone at Wigan will be aware of them, and the £10,000 cash he walked away with. I'm sure it will have been discussed during his interviews and expect him to be kept on a short leash whilst he is with us.

Any more 'incidents' would make the club a laughing stock for hiring him in the first place!
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

I agree entirely. When I read his book, I didn't find any of his misdemeanours humorous. He just came across as a selfish, inconsiderate chav. Maybe he'll grow up and change, but he's still got a court case hanging over him.

Like I said though, if he toes the line and keeps himself in check I don't have much of a problem with us signing him. Especially if he's as good as people are saying. He's only just starting out on his coaching career, so hopefully he can be very beneficial to our club in the long run

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Sutty wrote:I agree entirely. When I read his book, I didn't find any of his misdemeanours humorous. He just came across as a selfish, inconsiderate chav. Maybe he'll grow up and change, but he's still got a court case hanging over him.

I think the latest case is different. The lady in question is/was a tenant of his property who may well have her own agenda. Perhaps we shouldn't really be discussing it as it may be sub judice!