New player

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cow yeds

Re: New player

Post by cow yeds »

Kittwazzer wrote:He's our player now in the 38 shirt so let's give the lad a chance.

And let's not forget, Tuigemala didn't set the world on fire straight away yet many of us would put him in our top 5 favourite wingers!
As someone has already mentioned, it is easier for a back to adapt than a forward.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

DaiJones wrote:Does anyone on this board watch RU? Have you seen Powell play?
Where is this myth that players in Union are so unfit coming from?
Yes, there are different aspects in Union and League conditioning because of the nature of the sports but I have no worries about Powell's shape. He is a very fit athlete and is likely to become both an effective prop for us and a cult figure.

As for his "misdemeanours", he has had a couple of high profile incidents that amounted to not very much at all (especially by League standards) and is actually a genuine character always popular with fans and players everywhere he has been.

His signing sends out a great message and will hopefully reopen the gangway between the two codes. Well done Ian Lenegan.
I watch as little RU as possible because it is so predictable. Endless "phases" after endless "phases."

The problem for a RU forward is that it is scrum and maul -based - neither of which is any use in League. Also, with the constant line-outs, it is incredibly stop-start and slow. Watch what happens when a kick goes into touch. everyone walks very slowly and there are long delays for everyone to get into position and recover their breath.

Union is now a set-piece game. Scrum - line-out etc. League is dependent on speed and strength with passing and tactical kicking being paramount - which is what Union could have been but chose not to be and why we all watch League as the better game.
i'm spartacus

Post by i'm spartacus »

29wes28 wrote:Tbh I think Powell will go good for us and he'll shock a few people, don't worry about his fitness as Bitcon will work wonders with him.

Totally agree with that!

Despite his off field antics, Andy Powell is a big unit with good balance and a lot of impact. Unlike most of you I would guess, I watch Sale Sharks when I get the chance and the guy has all the attributes to do very well in super league.

I've got to point out the obvious hypocrisy of some of the opinions put forward on the wider forum before anyone condemns Andy Powell on his age.

Fair enough, Pat Richards at 31 is a proven first class player and I'm sure all of us are sad to see him depart. Nonetheless the view has put forward on other threads that it was thought he would stay for a couple more seasons. Last season, I'm sure nobody wanted to see the ageing 31 year old Brett Finch depart and most wanted him to stay for a couple more seasons. I'm also sure none of us were thrilled when George Carmont left the club.

Andy Powell is the same age as those first two players, and a fair bit younger than the third, yet everyone seems to condemn him for being 'too old'. The transition from a Rugby Union forward, to a Rugby League forward isn't anywhere near as difficult a transition as it is for half backs and backs. I'm glossing over the finer points, but you are basically doing the same job and keeping hold of the ball. Good fit players are not ready for their pension at 31; Steve Menzes is older then Yoda, but he is still one of Cats best players, and he can still throw out a full 80 minute stint.

It isn't anything like Gareth Thomas all over again; GT was 35 when he signed for Crusaders, and despite his age, he still managed to outpace much younger wingers on opposition teams, and in the end he turned out to be quite an asset for them right up until their demise. On the deal Powell signed, he will still be younger at the end of it than GT was when he signed his deal to come to RL.

I'm of the opinion that Andy Powell will slot right into the set up at Wigan. Certainly he's made some glaring errors of judgement off the field while he played union, but who amongst us hasn't done things we wished we hadn't when we've had a few.

cow yeds wrote:
As someone has already mentioned, it is easier for a back to adapt than a forward.
No it isn't. The set up for Union plays inside and outside centre; generally the outside center is always outside and the inside is inside. The half backs are much more kick oriented and rely territory gained off kicks. If your forwards are ineffective, you get very cold. I made the transition from the backs in league to union, and then switched back again; It is a whole new world
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

i'm spartacus wrote:
29wes28 wrote:Tbh I think Powell will go good for us and he'll shock a few people, don't worry about his fitness as Bitcon will work wonders with him.

Totally agree with that!

Despite his off field antics, Andy Powell is a big unit with good balance and a lot of impact. Unlike most of you I would guess, I watch Sale Sharks when I get the chance and the guy has all the attributes to do very well in super league.

I've got to point out the obvious hypocrisy of some of the opinions put forward on the wider forum before anyone condemns Andy Powell on his age.

Fair enough, Pat Richards at 31 is a proven first class player and I'm sure all of us are sad to see him depart. Nonetheless the view has put forward on other threads that it was thought he would stay for a couple more seasons. Last season, I'm sure nobody wanted to see the ageing 31 year old Brett Finch depart and most wanted him to stay for a couple more seasons. I'm also sure none of us were thrilled when George Carmont left the club.

Andy Powell is the same age as those first two players, and a fair bit younger than the third, yet everyone seems to condemn him for being 'too old'. The transition from a Rugby Union forward, to a Rugby League forward isn't anywhere near as difficult a transition as it is for half backs and backs. I'm glossing over the finer points, but you are basically doing the same job and keeping hold of the ball. Good fit players are not ready for their pension at 31; Steve Menzes is older then Yoda, but he is still one of Cats best players, and he can still throw out a full 80 minute stint.

It isn't anything like Gareth Thomas all over again; GT was 35 when he signed for Crusaders, and despite his age, he still managed to outpace much younger wingers on opposition teams, and in the end he turned out to be quite an asset for them right up until their demise. On the deal Powell signed, he will still be younger at the end of it than GT was when he signed his deal to come to RL.

I'm of the opinion that Andy Powell will slot right into the set up at Wigan. Certainly he's made some glaring errors of judgement off the field while he played union, but who amongst us hasn't done things we wished we hadn't when we've had a few.
And yet more backs than forwards have made it from RU.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

i'm spartacus wrote: I've got to point out the obvious hypocrisy of some of the opinions put forward on the wider forum before anyone condemns Andy Powell on his age.
No you haven't because there isn't any.
Fair enough, Pat Richards at 31 is a proven first class player and I'm sure all of us are sad to see him depart.
Sad but its not the end of the world. The point you miss and why Pat would still have value here at 31 is he is a proven first class RUGBY LEAGUE player.

His experience at playing the game of rugby league will help him despite his legs not being as fast as they once where. He will be able to read the game and like many experienced players who are at the top end of the skills spectrum it's this understanding of league that will help him prolong his career.
Nonetheless the view has put forward on other threads that it was thought he would stay for a couple more seasons. Last season, I'm sure nobody wanted to see the ageing 31 year old Brett Finch depart and most wanted him to stay for a couple more seasons. I'm also sure none of us were thrilled when George Carmont left the club.
The difference is people can see how these players were playing in our sport. If people wanted another season or two out of these players it was because they were dong the business on the pitch.
What you are glossing over is you are comparing RL players who know the game inside out with a rookie. Menzies can play the game on auto-pilot.

It's exactly like GT. Powell is at the end of his RU career as Thomas was and now has to adapt to a new sport. He has to do it in a top side who expect to be competing for trophies as well which is a very different environment to the one Thomas entered.

If we want an experienced prop I'd have no problem with a rugby league player of this vintage like a Craig Smith or Quentin Pongia being signed on a short term deal but we just don't need to be educating veteran RU players. And we certainly look rather stupid making out as if its some sort of capture. As Andy Wilson points out its likely to be players of this vintage we will be getting if we get any more from RU.
Why bother taking the risk in the first place? He's been an idiot off the field and he is nearing the end of his RU career. Instead of trying (and failing) to justify why he is no different than Pat Richards how about considering why on earth are we bothering in the first place?

Wes

Post by Wes »

2 points Dave, Sale offered him a new deal and he played league as an amateur.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

29wes28 wrote:2 points Dave, Sale offered him a new deal and he played league as an amateur.
Wes. Dave argued against George Carmont getting a 2 year deal in 2010. He's used to dealing with egg on his face. That's why we love him!
i'm spartacus

Post by i'm spartacus »

DaveO wrote:
i'm spartacus wrote: I've got to point out the obvious hypocrisy of some of the opinions put forward on the wider forum before anyone condemns Andy Powell on his age.
So wanting a player at 31 to stay for another couple of years at the age of 31, whilst saying that the age 31 is too old to sign on isn't hypocritical?

Sad but its not the end of the world. The point you miss and why Pat would still have value here at 31 is he is a proven first class RUGBY LEAGUE player.
You make it sound like he's signing on to play a sport which bears no relation to his original sport. The clue is in the fact that both sports contain the word rugby. There is no 'chance' to take, he is a capped international 'rugby' player. You cast aspersions on the guy, and I will lay odds that you have never seen him play at all.

It's somehow strange that top grade Rugby League players always seem to make the grade in Union, but somehow you believe top class RU players cannot cut it coming the other way.

The fact is that 'rugby league' coaches, who have played the game of 'rugby league' at international level. The self same people who coach a team currently at the top of super league, have made a decision that they believe he is good enough to play for that team. The separate games, despite their differences are in many respects, very similar. It isn't like learning to speak a foreign language.

The difference is people can see how these players were playing in our sport. If people wanted another season or two out of these players it was because they were dong the business on the pitch.
Again, you make it sound like he's only ever played cricket. He is at the top of his game, he has toured with the Lions, he was in a Welsh grand slam winning team. He is an international standard 'rugby' player

What you are glossing over is you are comparing RL players who know the game inside out with a rookie. Menzies can play the game on auto-pilot.
You failed to understand what I wrote. I wasn't comparing RL players who know the game inside out, with a rookie. I was comparing forward play in union, to forward play in league.

It's exactly like GT. Powell is at the end of his RU career as Thomas was and now has to adapt to a new sport. He has to do it in a top side who expect to be competing for trophies as well which is a very different environment to the one Thomas entered.
But Andy Powell isn't at the end of his rugby career is he? He's at the end of his contract with Sale, that doesn't mean his career is over, and it fact it wasn't over. He chose to come to us, he could have gone elsewhere. I don't think anyone in their right mind would say that a club players career is over just because he didn't get picked for his national side.

If we want an experienced prop I'd have no problem with a rugby league player of this vintage like a Craig Smith or Quentin Pongia being signed on a short term deal but we just don't need to be educating veteran RU players. And we certainly look rather stupid making out as if its some sort of capture. As Andy Wilson points out its likely to be players of this vintage we will be getting if we get any more from RU.
Why bother taking the risk in the first place? He's been an idiot off the field and he is nearing the end of his RU career. Instead of trying (and failing) to justify why he is no different than Pat Richards how about considering why on earth are we bothering in the first place?
I did not once compare Andy Powell to Pat Richards in anything other than age. I cannot see how I failed to do that as they are both 31 years of age and that was the only comparison I was making.

Just as a matter of interest, have you ever watched Andy Powell play, or had you even heard of him before he signed for Wigan

I am betting not, and don't lie.

Wes

Post by Wes »

Kittwazzer wrote:
29wes28 wrote:2 points Dave, Sale offered him a new deal and he played league as an amateur.
Wes. Dave argued against George Carmont getting a 2 year deal in 2010. He's used to dealing with egg on his face. That's why we love him!
Too true Stuey, he certainly mixes it up so can't knock him really.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

i'm spartacus wrote:
DaveO wrote:
So wanting a player at 31 to stay for another couple of years at the age of 31, whilst saying that the age 31 is too old to sign on isn't hypocritical?

G

You make it sound like he's signing on to play a sport which bears no relation to his original sport. The clue is in the fact that both sports contain the word rugby. There is no 'chance' to take, he is a capped international 'rugby' player. You cast aspersions on the guy, and I will lay odds that you have never seen him play at all.

It's somehow strange that top grade Rugby League players always seem to make the grade in Union, but somehow you believe top class RU players cannot cut it coming the other way.

The fact is that 'rugby league' coaches, who have played the game of 'rugby league' at international level. The self same people who coach a team currently at the top of super league, have made a decision that they believe he is good enough to play for that team. The separate games, despite their differences are in many respects, very similar. It isn't like learning to speak a foreign language.

Again, you make it sound like he's only ever played cricket. He is at the top of his game, he has toured with the Lions, he was in a Welsh grand slam winning team. He is an international standard 'rugby' player

You failed to understand what I wrote. I wasn't comparing RL players who know the game inside out, with a rookie. I was comparing forward play in union, to forward play in league.

But Andy Powell isn't at the end of his rugby career is he? He's at the end of his contract with Sale, that doesn't mean his career is over, and it fact it wasn't over. He chose to come to us, he could have gone elsewhere. I don't think anyone in their right mind would say that a club players career is over just because he didn't get picked for his national side.

I did not once compare Andy Powell to Pat Richards in anything other than age. I cannot see how I failed to do that as they are both 31 years of age and that was the only comparison I was making.

Just as a matter of interest, have you ever watched Andy Powell play, or had you even heard of him before he signed for Wigan

I am betting not, and don't lie.

Are you for real? Comparing the two sports because they both use the term "rugby"? Are you therefore suggesting we sign Suarez, Rooney or Aguerro? They play association football, we play rugby league football. Easy change for them to make.
RL and RU in the modern era are as similar as chalk and cheese. Correction, chalk and cheese both contain calcium, they are more similar than the two sports.
If RU and RL were comparable, more people would watch both codes.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09