Leigh v Wigan Friendly

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kittwazzer

Re: Leigh v Wigan Friendly

Post by Kittwazzer »

cherry.pie wrote:
The only players who didn't perform well were Gelling, who looked weak in defence and just generally off his game, and Tierney who spilled two catchable kicks, the first leading to pressure which led to a try and the second leading directly to a try.
With Budgie hovering overhead, Gelling has it all to do this season if he wants to establish himself. And I really hate to say this, but I don't think young Lewis is going to make it at Wigan! :(
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

El Bobbers wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Yes, deffo on Leythers radio and probably on WISH FM
Leigh has a radio station!? Didn't think they were that advanced!
Eventually technology reaches even the most backward of places.

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:
El Bobbers wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Yes, deffo on Leythers radio and probably on WISH FM
Leigh has a radio station!? Didn't think they were that advanced!
Eventually technology reaches even the most backward of places.

CP, I'm prepared to put up with most of your nonsense but I WILL NOT HAVE YOU MAKING FUN OF THE OVALTEENIES.

We were all happy girls and boys! :lol: :lol:
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Looks like Gelling is now established as number one target to call rotten now that lauaki is no longer around.

Just a observation!
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Looks like Gelling is now established as number one target to call rotten now that lauaki is no longer around.

Just a observation!
Gelling has a lot to do, he needs to perform a lot better on a regular basis. At the moment, in my view, he is way off first team standard. I won't be bagging him but I hope he is nowhere near the first 17.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Looks like Gelling is now established as number one target to call rotten now that lauaki is no longer around.

Just a observation!
No it doesn't. People making the observation he didn't play well in one game doesn't mean he "is now established as number one target".

That is quite a ridiculous thing to say.

And if a player is as consistently as poor as Lauaki was, discussing that isn't "targeting" the player either.

The implication that posters have some sort of vendetta against players is as daft as someone suggesting the club were right to sell Hansen because he wasn't giving 100%.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wane on Leigh Win

A young Wigan side got the Warriors off to a winning start in 2014 as the Warriors defeated near neighbours Leigh on Sunday afternoon.

Wigan ran out 28-36 winners with four tries from 19 year old Winger Joe Burgess, a brace from debutant Dan Sarginson and a touchdown for another player wearing a Warriors shirt for the first time, John Bateman.

Speaking post match Head Coach Shaun Wane said,

"I thought we did well, I though Dan Sarginson did well as did John Bateman, Joe Burgess had a good game and I thought there was some really good stuff that we did but we aren't consistent yet but that is what pre-season games are all about.

"These games are really useful to us, I thought all the new lads did good and those that have been here a few years did everything within our system, we were just a little bit rusty in patches I thought but that is why we play so many pre-season games."

Asked about Joe Burgess and whether he had put a marker down now for a Wing spot, Shaun added,

"Yes he did well but I thought Dom Manfredi also did well on the other side as well. Joe impressed with four tries.One of those will get that Wing spot and I am confident and comfortable with both of them.

"All the First Team Squad were here today and that's great that they show support for the young kids, that shows the unity we have."

Shaun was also asked about Josh Charnley who missed the recent trip to Florida and required a small operation,

"Josh is good, he is fine, he is doing alot of rehab and hopefully he is on track to play against Huddersfield next month and in Australia as well."

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... Zvq8tfU.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
markill

Post by markill »

DaveO wrote:

Just a observation!
No it doesn't. People making the observation he didn't play well in one game doesn't mean he "is now established as number one target".

And if a player is as consistently as poor as Lauaki was, discussing that isn't "targeting" the player either.

The implication that posters have some sort of vendetta against players is as daft as someone suggesting the club were right to sell Hansen because he wasn't giving 100%.
If the coach, who gave him the 5 shirt, is also suggesting (reading between the lines of his comment) that Burgess and Manfredi are ahead of Gelling for that left wing spot then I think its totally fair to pass observations on Gelling from those that watched the game and have an opinion.

I had to go to a wedding fair so didn't go to the game but my understanding is Gelling was named captain. As a point of ballance, in fairnesss to Gelling, he was the only player that featured in the World Cup that was selected to play if I remember right - may be a factor if he was sluggish.

I also heard the right side defence was a bit poor first half, and from the highlights I saw it looked like Gelling was right centre in the first half but then Sarginson popped up there in second half, so I can't be sure.

Good to see that some of the new guys contributed.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Aaron C. Rescue

Post by Aaron C. Rescue »

markill wrote:
DaveO wrote:

Just a observation!

If the coach, who gave him the 5 shirt, is also suggesting (reading between the lines of his comment) that Burgess and Manfredi are ahead of Gelling for that left wing spot then I think its totally fair to pass observations on Gelling from those that watched the game and have an opinion.

I had to go to a wedding fair so didn't go to the game but my understanding is Gelling was named captain. As a point of ballance, in fairnesss to Gelling, he was the only player that featured in the World Cup that was selected to play if I remember right - may be a factor if he was sluggish.

I also heard the right side defence was a bit poor first half, and from the highlights I saw it looked like Gelling was right centre in the first half but then Sarginson popped up there in second half, so I can't be sure.

Good to see that some of the new guys contributed.

Gelling wasn't captain, Sam Powell was.
"Are you a jew by any chance ?", "No, a tree fell on me"

'I was certain, positive, convinced, and yet...unsure'

'It's only rock 'n' roll, but I like it'
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Sarge started left centre and Gelling right centre Mark. Thereafter, Gelling was taken off, Thornley played left centre AND Sarge moved to the right centre.

The coach must have seen what we all saw given he took Gelling off so early. Of course, Winder could just have been nasty and vindictive :roll: :wink:

Lots of players went really well yesterday. The possibility of a trip to Aus (WCC) may have motivated several. Sarge step for his 2nd try was IMO reminiscent of the outstanding Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

Both young wingers had excellent games. Hampshire at FB is lightning over 10-40 yards reminicent of Billy Whizz.