Hull FC will miss out on long-term target Scott Taylor – for now

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Hull FC will miss out on long-term target Scott Taylor –...

Post by cpwigan »

menpond wrote:To, CP WIGAN. Who are you to say Taylor will be wasting his time at Hull.? He might enjoy fighting for his home town ,on a big salary,in a losing side.< personally do not believe Hull will not come good>.But anyway thats what A Farrell did for all those failing years at Wigan..,and presumably he and the club and fans were happy.? As for signing him up for 5 years,maybe he said no ,to keep his options open ? AS the best prop in the club,maybe we did well to get him for another year,rather than throwing him out.? The FORCE is with the club,driven by the excellent management. ONE more decent second row and we will be better than most for next year. REGARDS
I believe Taylor has huge potential to be one of the best if not the best front rower in SL and represent his country. The balance and athleticism he shows cannot be taught. Yet, Taylor IMO has bags of improvement in him. Improvement that is more likely to be brought out at a successful club rather than one with a very 'raw' coach and more likely to be fighting to stay in SL than win it in the next year or two. Wigan cannot compete with his home club love but other than that he would be risking career suicide in terms of Scott Taylor, the player!
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Isn't there supposed to be a clause preventing clubs approaching players who are in contract?

If this is an illegal approach for a player surely it should be reported to the RFL for investigation and this constant and unsubstantiated unsettling of a player stopped?
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

butt monkey wrote:Isn't there supposed to be a clause preventing clubs approaching players who are in contract?

If this is an illegal approach for a player surely it should be reported to the RFL for investigation and this constant and unsubstantiated unsettling of a player stopped?
Would the approach by Hull FC not have been dependant upon when Wigan decided to take Taylor up on the third "optional" year of his contract?
pedro

Post by pedro »

menpond wrote:To, CP WIGAN. Who are you to say Taylor will be wasting his time at Hull.? He might enjoy fighting for his home town ,on a big salary,in a losing side.< personally do not believe Hull will not come good>.But anyway thats what A Farrell did for all those failing years at Wigan..,and presumably he and the club and fans were happy.? As for signing him up for 5 years,maybe he said no ,to keep his options open ? AS the best prop in the club,maybe we did well to get him for another year,rather than throwing him out.? The FORCE is with the club,driven by the excellent management. ONE more decent second row and we will be better than most for next year. REGARDS
Farrell won the GF and CC with Wigan, not too bad really.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

pedro wrote:
Farrell won the GF and CC with Wigan, not too bad really.
Yes he did ok and he could shout at players to command respect. Pity SOL does not do that he might have won as much as Faz as captain. AHH hold on a sec.

As for Taylor maybe wanting to go to Hull. Alan Shearer said during a piece on him on SKY sports the reason he did not join Man United and went to Newcastle was that it was his childhood dream and still was at that time to play for Newcastle. He knew he was sacrificing guaranteed trophies for his dream. But his dream was more important.

Steven Gerrard said that the reason he did not go to Chelsea was that the 6-8 trophies he could have won for them would mean half as much as winning a trophy at Liverpool.

People forget that sometimes a player has a dream of playing for his childhood club and if the chance comes round would jump at the chance. Also if his wife is home sick i think its rather admirable of him to put his family before his career.

Lets put it this way is Joel Tomkins an idiot for coming back to us given he has sacrificed a bigger wage, bigger profile and a chance of playing in the union world cup where England has a chance of winning. For playing for his childhood club with wanting to be nearer his family as his wife is going to have a baby.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The flip side of that Gimble is Any Greg and Joe Lydon. Wigan in a dire state, they signed for Widnes; Wigan on the up, they signed for Wigan. Andy Platt likewise.

The other option is to do an Ellery, sign for your hometown club at the end of your career.

Some players are never lured by the home town pull, Billy Whizz.

The family issue is a bigger one, moreso IMO a different country / continent. To the best of my knowledge it is not an issue re Scott.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

cpwigan wrote:
The family issue is a bigger one, moreso IMO a different country / continent. To the best of my knowledge it is not an issue re Scott.
Sorry cpw but if you were carrying out missionary work in Yorkshire as I am (as well as trying to bring civilisation to the place) you would know that for any true Yorkist it most certainly is a different country. :lol:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

ian.birchall wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
Sorry cpw but if you were carrying out missionary work in Yorkshire as I am (as well as trying to bring civilisation to the place) you would know that for any true Yorkist it most certainly is a different country. :lol:
:lol:
michael inch stoke

Post by michael inch stoke »

ian.birchall wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
Being married to a yorkshire lass I can definitely vouch for that :lol:
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

ian.birchall wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
If in any doubt about these words of wisdom from me and the poor soul who is married to a Yorkshire girl I hope you noticed how often at the end of the Widnes/Cas game we were told that 'its an all Yorkshire final'. I counted 6 times by Lynch,Powell,Peacock,Noble,Crabtree and even Tanya but I could quite easily have missed a couple more times as my eyes glazed over.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.