Hampshire

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Wandering Warrior

Re: Hampshire

Post by Wandering Warrior »

I'm sure menpond knows what he wants to say within his own mind, it just gets lost in translation to the outside world.
As an aside, I am right in assuming Stanley Unwin has departed the planet?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
menpond

Post by menpond »

Some one tell me WHO IS STANLEY UNWIN?
mp
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

menpond wrote:Some one tell me WHO IS STANLEY UNWIN?
Keyser Söze
sc74

Post by sc74 »

menpond wrote:Some one tell me WHO IS STANLEY UNWIN?
Someone tell me who Stanley Unwin is.

I think it is his second, or maybe even third language.

Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Stanley Unwin was a friend of the Small Faces and appeared on their themed album Ogdens Nut Gone Flake.
He spoke gibberish, a kind of menpond language.
Hope this helps? [/u]
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:
cherry.pie wrote:I could understand Hampshire going on loan as he has to either be in the Wigan first team or out on dual registration (I'm assuming we still have the agreement with Workington, despite it being farcical in the new set up). There's no guarantee he'll make the first team on a regular basis as there is plenty of competition but he's probably too good to be playing in the tier below. He's demonstrated already that he's got the skills to play in Super League (for those who saw him at academy level it's never been in doubt) and it's only really the physical aspect of the game which remains an unanswered question.

We definitely need a replacement for Green and as it stands, Williams has been the most impressive of the three young halves who could replace him. He's most comfortable playing on the left and is the most physical and direct of those available so he's the closest we'll get to a like-for-like replacement.

Powell hasn't really stood out but also hasn't had much stability. He was a very highly rated junior and some players will take a few years to really adjust to playing regularly in Super League. He shouldn't be written off and he has filled in at stand off quite well previously (and had an outstanding game in the friendly against NZ Warriors which made him first name on the team sheet for the WCC before getting injured).

They are likely to be the two preferred options and with both being capable understudies at hooker they are a good fit for the side.

Hampshire as a youngster has probably been more highly rated than both Williams and Powell but lacks size, strength and physicality. That's not unusual for a halfback but it gives Powell and Williams an advantage.

My concern with Hampshire is that the club will see Powell and Williams as the main contenders for the halfback role and because of Hampshire's weaker defence will try to make him into a fullback. It already looks to be happening but I'd always hoped it was a case of Hampshire being so good that he had to be given an opportunity somewhere and the club were simply giving him chances when the opportunity arose.

He's shown some excellent attacking play at fullback, but I also think he's been prevented from showing even more of his attacking game while in that position. He also looks far from confident under the high ball. That's not impossible to fix but when you're looking for a first choice player in a key position that's a big weakness.

Bowen has had his issues but he's looked confident and composed over 90% of the time but has come up with some real howlers in big games. Hampshire has generally lacked confidence defensively in every game.

It's possible that Bowen will have another average season next year but he could also do what many overseas players have and have a much better second season after a slow start.

Our best fullback this year was Sarginson. He now looks to have cemented his place at left centre but I don't think that means he shouldn't be considered at fullback. I think overall fullback is a more important position than centre and he's the best fit right now to be our next permanent fullback. As long as there is adequate cover at centre then it would have to be considered and I'd feel more confident with Sarginson at fullback and Thornley at centre (despite Thornley's drawbacks) than I would with Hampshire playing fullback.

That could all change of course. Most young players will continually be improving and Hampshire will no doubt be the same. With time it might work for him at fullback but at the moment he's probably not likely to be first choice at either fullback or stand off but could really benefit from playing rugby at Super League level.

Mind you, there's the possibility that any Super League club that did take him on loan would play him at fullback anyway and I'm not sure that will really ask the questions of him that need answering.
Good post Cherry and I'm with you all the way with what you say.
Maybe the fact that Williams and Powell can back up at 9 puts them ahead of Hampshire.
I fear for Hampshire's future if he is pushed towards the fullback position as he will be found out under the high ball and his confidence could just drop away and we loose the most talented young 6 Wigan has had for a number of years.
Obviously Shaun Edwards career was ruined by having to play fullback before playing at half back. Edwards then obviously suffered because Keith Holden and Mike Ford were given opportunities at half before him and Wigan signed Kenny / Ella and Gregory whilst Edwards was at the club.

Hampshire BTW will never lose confidence / be broken mentally. As for mistakes, every FB makes them but Rocky made less than Matty Bowen and Sam T before him. Sam and Bowen never look destro0yed by their countless mistakes.

How many timess did Sarge play FB last season :doz:

If Rocky plays FB does anybody seriously think in this day and age that means he will never play HB again?
Why the sarcasm in your post CP, re "obviously Shaun Edwards career was ruined by having to play fullback before playing at halfback.
I was just being honest with my post to the best of my opinion.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Is it sarcasm :eh:

I just do not get hung up re players and their so called positions especially when they are just breaking through. IIRC, one or maybe both Slater and Smith were junior halfbacks and neither ended up in that position in senior FB, Billy Whiz was a freakish half back as a junior but only played less than half a doen senior games there IIRC, THANK GOD. You can then go the other way and see the likes of Edwards starting at FB then ecoming senior halfbacks.

Change the record :)
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Im disgusted at this rumour Ryan should be in at number 6 he will never get game time if he,s not picked
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Suzieb wrote:Im disgusted at this rumour Ryan should be in at number 6 he will never get game time if he,s not picked
Isn't that contradictory Suzie? Rocky gets more game time at FB than he would if HB was his only position. It was a great way for Shaun Edwards to start his first team career, why not Rocky?
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Over the years, many players have alternated between full back and Stand Off,

Ratchford and Wellans being present day examples.

Edwards started his career in the first team at full back and I seemed to recall that our great Stand Off David Bolton played at full back on occasions.

Players today, now have to be more then ever be versatile in playing in different positions in the modern game.