rubbish

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: rubbish

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Agreed platt!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

God wrote:Both Patrick and Tautai are excellent signings....nobody has even mentioned the amount of tackles Patrick has completed which by my reckoning is almost 70 in two games.

Different system and style, players either hit the ground running or they take there time adapting and for me Hughes has had ample opportunity and never took it where as Patrick will be brilliant.

Best signing of the close season won't be Carney or Kelly it will be Tautai Mark my words.
I think that Burns and Clarke may be better signings but I do agree that Toetie will be a good signing for us.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Southern Softy wrote:Thought I'd better sleep on it but it still seems awful in the light of morning.

Joel, Bateman, MM and Burgess were top-drawer (Burgess for his defence - thought Huddersfield sorted out their defence well to cope with him in attack) - Sutton & Logan were fine as was Farrell (still running like a train after 80 minutes) - the rest!!!
Bowen is a passenger - doesn't take high balls - doesn't tackle as the last man and joins the line infrequently. Like playing with 12 men. Gelling had a nightmare, believing he could offload all the time and determined to score himself at every move. I counted one pass to Josh (which, of course, he dropped). Powell still doesn't look anywhere near good enough - Hampshire suffered from ambition outweighing ability and what has happened to his place-kicking? Clubb is a walking penalty. Patriok looked lost and Crosby looked weak. Conor Farrell didn't get enough game-time to make an impression. SOL doesn't look right at all. Josh just had a bad day like Burgess last week.

What was worrying was when Huddersfield were near our line, the defensive tackling was limp and it took centres and second-rowers to rescue us time and again.

Basically, we have half a good side and that just isn't Wigan. Tactically, we look inept. Every penalty seemed to see Gelling tapping the ball to himself and launching on a lone charge to gain 3 yards. Same at every scrum. We seem to have lost the ability (Powell and Hampshire take the blame) to move the ball wide at pace to break defences and the tactical kicking was the worst I've seen in a very long time.

I don't normally go potty after a bad match but that's twice in a row that we have been less than ordinary. Fair enough for Wane to have a go at the team after the match but it's his tactics and his team.

And the Sky commentary was laughable and Silverwood, after warning Wigan, when both sides were guilty of consistent fouling, then let Huddersfield get away with murder in the second half. Lastly - isn't Ferres a nasty, sly piece of work?

Rant over - I'll ignore next week's charity match and wait to see if we improve when the real action begins again.
Why bother waiting till the morning?

Both first choice half backs out, Joel out of position, Lockers off, Hampshire in last minute, arguably our best 3 props missing!!

Guess I am a glass half full type!!

I agree things still need improving but I think you are being a little harsh!

I ignored the Budgie top drawer comment because if that is what you think then it sort of makes your next opinions questionable to say the least!! He was absolutely no where near top drawer!! Joel T was top drawer, Budgie is a shadow of him former self at the moment!!
I waited till the morning to see if it would seem better - it didn't. And I did say Burgess in defence only last night. He didn't get drawn out of position - tracked back - made sure his centre had room to tackle and was secure all night. Not sure what else he could have done in defence. That wing looked safe - unlike the other one.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

platt-warrior wrote:
Southern Softy wrote:Thought I'd better sleep on it but it still seems awful in the light of morning.

Joel, Bateman, MM and Burgess were top-drawer (Burgess for his defence - thought Huddersfield sorted out their defence well to cope with him in attack) - Sutton & Logan were fine as was Farrell (still running like a train after 80 minutes) - the rest!!!
Bowen is a passenger - doesn't take high balls - doesn't tackle as the last man and joins the line infrequently. Like playing with 12 men. Gelling had a nightmare, believing he could offload all the time and determined to score himself at every move. I counted one pass to Josh (which, of course, he dropped). Powell still doesn't look anywhere near good enough - Hampshire suffered from ambition outweighing ability and what has happened to his place-kicking? Clubb is a walking penalty. Patriok looked lost and Crosby looked weak. Conor Farrell didn't get enough game-time to make an impression. SOL doesn't look right at all. Josh just had a bad day like Burgess last week.

What was worrying was when Huddersfield were near our line, the defensive tackling was limp and it took centres and second-rowers to rescue us time and again.

Basically, we have half a good side and that just isn't Wigan. Tactically, we look inept. Every penalty seemed to see Gelling tapping the ball to himself and launching on a lone charge to gain 3 yards. Same at every scrum. We seem to have lost the ability (Powell and Hampshire take the blame) to move the ball wide at pace to break defences and the tactical kicking was the worst I've seen in a very long time.

I don't normally go potty after a bad match but that's twice in a row that we have been less than ordinary. Fair enough for Wane to have a go at the team after the match but it's his tactics and his team.

And the Sky commentary was laughable and Silverwood, after warning Wigan, when both sides were guilty of consistent fouling, then let Huddersfield get away with murder in the second half. Lastly - isn't Ferres a nasty, sly piece of work?

Rant over - I'll ignore next week's charity match and wait to see if we improve when the real action begins again.
V poor summary,you obviously watched a different game to many of us.2nd game of the season remember.
Not sure which of the specific points you disagreed with. Perhaps you were impressed with Powell, Hampshire, Clubb, Gelling, Patrick, Crosby & Bowen.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Southern Softy wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:

Why bother waiting till the morning?

Both first choice half backs out, Joel out of position, Lockers off, Hampshire in last minute, arguably our best 3 props missing!!

Guess I am a glass half full type!!

I agree things still need improving but I think you are being a little harsh!

I ignored the Budgie top drawer comment because if that is what you think then it sort of makes your next opinions questionable to say the least!! He was absolutely no where near top drawer!! Joel T was top drawer, Budgie is a shadow of him former self at the moment!!
I waited till the morning to see if it would seem better - it didn't. And I did say Burgess in defence only last night. He didn't get drawn out of position - tracked back - made sure his centre had room to tackle and was secure all night. Not sure what else he could have done in defence. That wing looked safe - unlike the other one.
...do you not think that had something to do with having a certain Joel Tomkins inside him as opposed to a certain Anthony Gelling?
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

You need to be patient with Larne Patrick, he will take a while to settle in and we have seen this before when punters are calling for a players heads then a year later he is the best signing we have made " Send Pat Richards back to Australia he is crap" became the best signing for years.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:As I said on another thread, the same Larne Patrick who when playing for Huddersfield was regarded as possibly being a good signing for us by some those now calling him rotten.

And how many of the same fans were calling Jack Hughes as not not being good enough for us.

Come on, we know that from past examples that not all new signings start well with Richards being a prime example.

As for calling Tautai who in one game did nothing wrong is nonsense. From what I have seen of him, I rate him as a good signing.
Peoples opinions change, rightly or wrongly, some after thought and some off the cuff.
Looking at how well Larne Patrick played for Huddersfield against Wigan, he looked like a good signing.
Based on his performances for Wigan in the last two matches he has looked very poor. That's my opinion.
Jack Hughes I have always spoken of highly of and cant think of writing anything negative about the lad.
All I said about Tautai was that I wasnt stuck on him yet and all it means is that I haven't seen enough of in a Wigan shirt to decide.
I was one that also doubted Richards early doors, but its a discussion thread and we all have our opinions, some that can change. Some we get wrong but hey ho its a discussion thread.
Have I upset you by what I've been saying WW, as I can assure you its nothing personal.
I know!

I was only trying to say that some players shine straight away when they arrive while others take time.

To start calling new players after only a couple of games or so is nonsense.

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

ddtftf wrote:You need to be patient with Larne Patrick, he will take a while to settle in and we have seen this before when punters are calling for a players heads then a year later he is the best signing we have made " Send Pat Richards back to Australia he is crap" became the best signing for years.
But isn't he only with us for this season? If so, the Richards comparison is flawed!
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:As I said on another thread, the same Larne Patrick who when playing for Huddersfield was regarded as possibly being a good signing for us by some those now calling him rotten.

And how many of the same fans were calling Jack Hughes as not not being good enough for us.

Come on, we know that from past examples that not all new signings start well with Richards being a prime example.

As for calling Tautai who in one game did nothing wrong is nonsense. From what I have seen of him, I rate him as a good signing.
Peoples opinions change, rightly or wrongly, some after thought and some off the cuff.
Looking at how well Larne Patrick played for Huddersfield against Wigan, he looked like a good signing.
Based on his performances for Wigan in the last two matches he has looked very poor. That's my opinion.
Jack Hughes I have always spoken of highly of and cant think of writing anything negative about the lad.
All I said about Tautai was that I wasnt stuck on him yet and all it means is that I haven't seen enough of in a Wigan shirt to decide.
I was one that also doubted Richards early doors, but its a discussion thread and we all have our opinions, some that can change. Some we get wrong but hey ho its a discussion thread.
Have I upset you by what I've been saying WW, as I can assure you its nothing personal.
I know!

I was only trying to say that some players shine straight away when they arrive while others take time.

To start calling new players after only a couple of games or so is nonsense.**
I call it as I see it at the time.
Patricks form is currently poor, as I see it.
If and when his form changes so does my opinion and I will gladly post as such.

** Fixed the post quote
:)
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Sunday morning and still reading peoples views on the game and cannot for the life of me believe some of the things people put on here. Second game in one draw and one win. Williams injured, Tauti injured, Sargison injured ,Matty Smith suspended, Lockers lack of game time pre season, Hampshire last minute inclusion, Larne will adapt.If in a few weeks time we are still crap I can understand the negative comments then.