Wane not interested in NRL players

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Owd Codger

Re: Wane not interested in NRL players

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote: Obviously not
Instead of making your normal swiping at Wane, why not name a NRL player who in your opinion would make a good signing by the club.

That would be of more of interest to we supporters.
How can it be sniping at Wane if WW says we cannot compete and sign NRL players yet I quoted Wane saying we could. Whose right WW or Wane :lol:
Wane as he possibly knows more about what the club can sign than me or you!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote: Instead of making your normal swiping at Wane, why not name a NRL player who in your opinion would make a good signing by the club.

That would be of more of interest to we supporters.
How can it be sniping at Wane if WW says we cannot compete and sign NRL players yet I quoted Wane saying we could. Whose right WW or Wane :lol:
I never said anything you did.

BTW you were indeed wrong on this occasion but later in the same article Wane was equally wrong.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

cpwigan wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote: How can it be sniping at Wane if WW says we cannot compete and sign NRL players yet I quoted Wane saying we could. Whose right WW or Wane :lol:

BTW you were indeed wrong on this occasion but later in the same article Wane was equally wrong.

I would think Wane knows as well as we all do that signing players of the calibre of Greg Inglis etc is very unlikely or impossible.

The question then becomes "What should he say to the press?" If he admits the above, the message to Wigan players is "We'll have to stick with you second rate players, though we'd obviously prefer better Aussies if we could afford them."

Now a good coach would surely use the opportunity to boost player morale and say "I don't need the likes of Greg Inglis, I'm happy with what I've got."

Just a thought . . .
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

morley pie eater wrote:

I would think Wane knows as well as we all do that signing players of the calibre of Greg Inglis etc is very unlikely or impossible.

The question then becomes "What should he say to the press?" If he admits the above, the message to Wigan players is "We'll have to stick with you second rate players, though we'd obviously prefer better Aussies if we could afford them."

Now a good coach would surely use the opportunity to boost player morale and say "I don't need the likes of Greg Inglis, I'm happy with what I've got."

Just a thought . . .
Good analogy MPE :) Makes more sense than some other offerings to Waney's statement :wink:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

morley pie eater wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote: Wane as he possibly knows more about what the club can sign than me or you!

Just a thought . . .
Common sense prevails!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

morley pie eater wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote: Wane as he possibly knows more about what the club can sign than me or you!

Just a thought . . .
It is a very valid one and one I agree with, I was just 'playing with WW' and exposing his inability to judge anything Wigan.

By far the best comment was
"I remember the best Wigan teams of the 80s and 90s had a real strong nucleus of local people and were Wigan lads, where the club means a lot to them," he said.
Which beggars belief as it is clearly wrong and always has been. Truth be told, great Wigan teams signed the best wherever they came from.

1985 CC Final Teaml

Shaun Edwards Wigan
John Ferguson Australian
David Stephenson Fylde – Union / Salford RL
Steve Donlan Leyther Leigh
Henderson Gill Huddersfield Bradford
Brett Kenny Australian
Mike Ford Oldham Wigan Product
Neil Courtney Wire
Nicky Kiss Oldham Wigan Product
Brian Case St Helener Wire
Graeme West New Zealander
Brian Dunn - Leigh IIRC
Ian Potter - St Helener, Leigh/Wire
Nick Du Toit – South African
Danny Campbell – New Zealander

85 team included hardly any Wiganers, as many St Heleners, Leythers, Roughyeds overseas. To be honest Wane insults Wigan legends with his inaccurate knowledge of the club. Does he seriously think John Frguson, Brett Kenny, Graeme West, Brian Case, Henderson Gill did not give as much as anybody for Wigan simply because they were not Wiganers. It has always been bollocks. Can he have the Gaul to look Billy B in the face or Ellery Hanley or countless others.

If money was no object other than signing both who would he sign Sam Tomkins or Greg Inglis!

The next Wigan CC winning team included

Joe Lydon Wiganer developed by Widnes
Tony Iro NZealander
Kevin Iro NZealander
Dean Bell NZealander
Shaun Edwards Wigan
Andy Gregory Wiganer developed by Widnes
Adrian Shelford NZealander
Andy Goodway Oldham
Ian Potter St Helener, Leigh/Wire
Ellery Hanley Bradford

Ged Byrne Wiganer / Wigan Producr?
Shaun Wane Wigan product

Wigans success being about Wiganers is a huge red herring and an insult to every non Wiganer who played for Wigan!

Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Great points cp.Oh you forgot to add that Gregory,Lydon and Byrne were deemed too small or not good enough until they ruined us.
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:
morley pie eater wrote:
cpwigan wrote: I never said anything you did.

Just a thought . . .
It is a very valid one and one I agree with, I was just 'playing with WW' and exposing his inability to judge anything Wigan.

"I remember the best Wigan teams of the 80s and 90s had a real strong nucleus of local people and were Wigan lads, where the club means a lot to them," he said.
Which beggars belief as it is clearly wrong and always has been. Truth be told, great Wigan teams signed the best wherever they came from.

1985 CC Final Teaml

Shaun Edwards Wigan
John Ferguson Australian
Brett Kenny Australian
Neil Courtney Wire
Brian Dunn - Leigh IIRC

85 team included hardly any Wiganers, as many St Heleners, Leythers, Roughyeds overseas. To be honest Wane insults Wigan legends with his inaccurate knowledge of the club. Does he seriously think John Frguson, Brett Kenny, Graeme West, Brian Case, Henderson Gill did not give as much as anybody for Wigan simply because they were not Wiganers. It has always been bollocks. Can he have the Gaul to look Billy B in the face or Ellery Hanley or countless others.

If money was no object other than signing both who would he sign Sam Tomkins or Greg Inglis!

Tony Iro NZealander
Kevin Iro NZealander
Dean Bell NZealander
Shaun Edwards Wigan
Andy Goodway Oldham
Ellery Hanley Bradford

Shaun Wane Wigan product

Wigans success being about Wiganers is a huge red herring and an insult to every non Wiganer who played for Wigan!

Your inability is being unable to grasp that things have changed since 1996 and our clubs are now no longer able to sign top players from Union and those from the NRL at their peak like we did before that date.

Never mind, you can still keep looking at your scrapbooks and remembering the great days of signing players like Boston, Lake, Tuigamala etc from Union heartlands of Wales, Rhodesia, New Zealands etc, players at their peak from the NRL like Kenny, Ferguson, Miles or sign cheques like the club did under Uncle Mo to sign all the best players in our own game like many you give as a example plus of course the introduction of a dreaded salary cap.

Most supporters have moved on from those great day's!

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
morley pie eater wrote:

Just a thought . . .

1985 CC Final Teaml

Shaun Edwards Wigan
John Ferguson Australian
Brett Kenny Australian
Neil Courtney Wire
Brian Dunn - Leigh IIRC

Tony Iro NZealander
Kevin Iro NZealander
Dean Bell NZealander
Shaun Edwards Wigan
Andy Goodway Oldham
Ellery Hanley Bradford

Shaun Wane Wigan product

Your inability is being unable to grasp that things have changed since 1996 and our clubs are now no longer able to sign top players from Union and those from the NRL at their peak like we did before that date.

Never mind, you can still keep looking at your scrapbooks and remembering the great days of signing players like Boston, Lake, Tuigamala etc from Union heartlands of Wales, Rhodesia, New Zealands etc, players at their peak from the NRL like Kenny, Ferguson, Miles or sign cheques like the club did under Uncle Mo to sign all the best players in our own game like many you give as a example plus of course the introduction of a dreaded salary cap.

Most supporters have moved on from those great day's!

Make your mind up WW. You said Wane must be right now you are attacking me for mentioning Wanes statement
P.S WW was Fred 'Punchy' Griffiths well known before Wigan signed him? Tony Iro? Gells? Your losing the plot old boy :lol: :lol:

BTW Ferguson got more recognition from being at Wigan than he did for his NSWRL deed. I think that winter RL was the key to players playing both here and Aus personally.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote: I would think Wane knows as well as we all do that signing players of the calibre of Greg Inglis etc is very unlikely or impossible.

Just a thought . . .
So he thinks his players are all thick then?

Everyone knows what the salary cap is in the NRL and here, including the players.

Our players will know we can't sign Greg Inglis just like the fans so I think the idea Wane is engaged in some subtle moral boosting bit of mind games is reading far too much into this.

If we get the marquee rule I think ruling out NRL players is stupid.

Also even without it sometimes you get lucky. For example if a Pat Richards walked up and did as he did and basically wanted the opportunity his skills afford him to sample life here, we would be idiotic to knock such a player back.