Biggest Problem

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
thegimble

Re: Biggest Problem

Post by thegimble »

yokozuna wrote:
thegimble wrote:Graeme Souness gave it both barrels yesterday to jamie carragher. Carragher went on about Ashley letting everyone down in Newcastle and it was basically all his fault.

Souness said he was a coach in Newcastle and its the toughest job he had. And that included Rangers Liverpool and Galatasary. And the real reason they struggle was the fans as once they lose its get rid of him get him in he is crap etc. Basically he was saying that Noth East football fans do not give a manger a break. Lose 1 game and the media rips in and the fans get worse. And its the end of the world.

Are we the same. We are 3rd it could be a lot worse and tbh it should be. Do we excpect more than we actually can get. SL if flawed with the play offs it does not matter if you finish top its about top 4 and nothing else.
Not saying Souness isn't right or wrong about Newcastle, but he was a bloody awful manager for Liverpool. Took a successful team, dismantled it, brought in terrible players and effectively set the club back into reverse gear from which they really struggled to recover from.
I agree to a degree but he was left an old side but he took a hammer to it and broke the club.
sc74

Post by sc74 »

yokozuna wrote:
thegimble wrote:Graeme Souness gave it both barrels yesterday to jamie carragher. Carragher went on about Ashley letting everyone down in Newcastle and it was basically all his fault.

Souness said he was a coach in Newcastle and its the toughest job he had. And that included Rangers Liverpool and Galatasary. And the real reason they struggle was the fans as once they lose its get rid of him get him in he is crap etc. Basically he was saying that Noth East football fans do not give a manger a break. Lose 1 game and the media rips in and the fans get worse. And its the end of the world.

Are we the same. We are 3rd it could be a lot worse and tbh it should be. Do we excpect more than we actually can get. SL if flawed with the play offs it does not matter if you finish top its about top 4 and nothing else.
Not saying Souness isn't right or wrong about Newcastle, but he was a bloody awful manager for Liverpool. Took a successful team, dismantled it, brought in terrible players and effectively set the club back into reverse gear from which they really struggled to recover from.
:eusa2:

Awful example to use.
Another egomaniac, who many rightly wanted hoying.
gruffy

Post by gruffy »

thegimble wrote:
yokozuna wrote:

I agree to a degree but he was left an old side but he took a hammer to it and broke the club.
Theres little doubt Dalglish made some weird signings at the end of his first spell charge leaving Souness a massive task,but yes he wasnt up to the job but it wasnt all his fault in my view.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

medlocke wrote:as for Goulding look where he is playing now, if he was a great player then surely he would still be here.
I know yeah, I mean we never let good players go do we? Tomkins x 2, Burgess, Mossop, RICHARDS, Luluai, Taylor (all recently).
Warrior20

Post by Warrior20 »

The booze hound wrote:
medlocke wrote:as for Goulding look where he is playing now, if he was a great player then surely he would still be here.
I know yeah, I mean we never let good players go do we? Tomkins x 2, Burgess, Mossop, RICHARDS, Luluai, Taylor (all recently).
Bar Taylor and Joel Tomkins, all the players you mentioned have gone/are going to Australia. Joel went for more money and then came back. Mossop has come back, Sam Tomkins is coming back. Taylor wants to play for Hull. Richards and Leuluai have gone home.

Goulding has gone to Hull KR where he has hardly shone and stood out as an outstanding player when he has played. I liked Goulding at Wigan, but I think it was the right time for him to move on.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

Warrior20 wrote:
The booze hound wrote:
Bar Taylor and Joel Tomkins, all the players you mentioned have gone/are going to Australia. Joel went for more money and then came back. Mossop has come back, Sam Tomkins is coming back. Taylor wants to play for Hull. Richards and Leuluai have gone home.

Goulding has gone to Hull KR where he has hardly shone and stood out as an outstanding player when he has played. I liked Goulding at Wigan, but I think it was the right time for him to move on.
So are you saying we never let good players leave?
I could mention quite a few more if necessary (Farrell, Connelly, Edwards, Hanley, Betts, Clarke, Platt, Long, Carney, Brown, Robinson are obvious names that spring to mind). There is always a reason why a player leaves. Testing their hand in Oz, going "home", club finances, going for more money, not seeing eye to eye with the coach etc, etc, etc.
Warrior20

Post by Warrior20 »

The booze hound wrote: So are you saying we never let good players leave?
I could mention quite a few more if necessary (Farrell, Connelly, Edwards, Hanley, Betts, Clarke, Platt, Long, Carney, Brown, Robinson are obvious names that spring to mind). There is always a reason why a player leaves. Testing their hand in Oz, going "home", club finances, going for more money, not seeing eye to eye with the coach etc, etc, etc.
I don't believe I have said we never let good players leave. Maybe you are reading something that isn't there. Either way, nothing you can do to stop them. In many cases nothing the club can do to stop them. There are better teams out there in tougher competitions where players would like to test themselves, there is also more money out there at other clubs and let's be honest, it's a job, you have to go after the money while you can.