Re: Lenegan not happy with Thornley

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

cpwigan wrote:Unfortunately you only have one version of events / circumstances. The opposite POV is actually that Thornley was not wanted at Wigan. One thing is for sure, long before the announcement he was being linked with various clubs in SL.

I just hope the players realises his considerable potential which at this point in his career he is some way of realising.

I do know this, I prefer Thornley at left centre and Gelling at right when Sarrge is not available.
He's been rubbish and/or injured for ages. I don't think he's going to show the Neil Fox potential you think he has TBH.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Unfortunately I think you are right Mike. Shame, he has so much going for him physically but whether he will ever find the ability / know how I would say not. He can be a decent SL player though, beyond that ??
gruffy

Post by gruffy »

The booze hound wrote:
gruffy wrote:It's a job now,gone are the days of being starry eyed and playufor a tanner and an orange at half time,the rise of agents has seen to that.

The main point for me is IL should have kept his trap shut,it was a pretty and petulant way to send an employee on his way,have those thoughts in private for sure but in public chairman should keep the gobs closed,but maybe the silver fox is enjoying the limelight a little at the moment?
I don't understand what your saying. If a player goes for the money is it not ok for the chairman to say he is leaving for the money? Loyalty works both ways, Thornley has walked away from us TWICE. We should never have had him back after his failed RU stint.
Good luck Mr Thornley but also good riddance.
That is exactly what im saying

Chairman should keep their traps shut,being an Everton fan of equal to wigan years standing i know about mouthy chairman,theyre the bane of sporting life,and for the most part other than signing checks and back slapping each other should should say nowt they add nothing to the game.

A chairmans job is threefold..

1 signing players,
2 signing checks and keeping club afloat,
3 singing the p45 at the end of contracts and sacking etc.

Job done accept slaps on back from other chairman and qwaff the drinks offered.

When you come out and criticise for taking an offer other than his is crass,we work in the free market and as such anyone can up and move when THEY feel like it,have the class to accept it in good grace,even if in private you're livid.

I cant help but feel though given that a groundswell of support are royally fecked off with this London malarky he came out and said this trying to make it that he tried to keep the lad,i dont know it just came accross that way given the reaction to the London game.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

If Thornley was offered roughly the same money at Wigan as HKR then the reason he's gone is one other than money.

Thornley is OOC this year and he was offered a new contract but decided to go. So what is the real reason he's gone? That would be really interesting to know!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:Unfortunately you only have one version of events / circumstances. The opposite POV is actually that Thornley was not wanted at Wigan.
Well IL is a very good actor then. Or very cynical.

The reality is more likely it is neither and he is genuinely annoyed he is going.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I never mentioned ILs mood Dave. I mentioned the facts. We have one version as to why Thornley decided to sign for Hull KR, ILs. Come on Dave you are usually better than that.

Daz Goulding signed for KR for far more money than he was on at Wigan, IL was right clubs like KR are prepared to offer more of his cap to players they feel can make a difference.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Why should Wigan better the contract of any player who is not likely to be a first choice selection at our club, but regarded as a first choice selection at a lower club.

Thornley is not the first to leave the club under the same circumstances and nor will he be the last as the bigger clubs like Leeds, St Helens, Wigan etc. clubs have bigger and stronger squads with some not getting regular game time and there comes a time that some at the lower end of a squad will seek employment elsewhere to play regular rugby.

Good luck to him and hope that he stays injury free!

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Why should Wigan better the contract of any player who is not likely to be a first choice selection at our club, but regarded as a first choice selection at a lower club.

Thornley is not the first to leave the club under the same circumstances and nor will he be the last as the bigger clubs like Leeds, St Helens, Wigan etc. clubs have bigger and stronger squads with some not getting regular game time and there comes a time that some at the lower end of a squad will seek employment elsewhere to play regular rugby.

Good luck to him and hope that he stays injury free!

I agree WW. I honestly believe that Thornley had / has huge potential but as yet he has not and MAY NEVER realise that potential.

So yes for successful clubs like Wigan you always have to make difficult decisions and trying to keep every player is nigh on impossible. You see exactly the same in the NRL were successful GF winning clubs are restricted to play SOME players more and that less successful clubs have more cap space and a player who could improve their team so they offer more.

I was a bit shocked that IL seemed upset. Why should he? it is business. Sport is a very short career and players rightly will try to earn the maximum they can. The only trade off is that they maybe less successful in terms of winning / winning competitions. It is not as if Ian Thornley hasn't left before; union stint!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

One door closes, another door opens for say Gildart!
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

cpwigan wrote:One door closes, another door opens for say Gildart!
And there would have been uproar on here had we retained Thornley and let Gildart go. It's a difficult situation and at some stage Wigan will make a poor /wrong decision, but in general I reckon they get a lot more right than wrong.