Andy Farrell Return

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Andy Farrell Return

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think both SOL and Andy Farrell Have been/were great captains of Wigan in their own right.

It's unfair to compare because they come from different era's of the game really it's also unfair to demean how good Farrell was off the pots he won or the however you feel about his move to union.

Farrell was an awesome player and a fantastic athlete in the days were athletisicm wasn't as focused on, rugby league in Farrells day was more barbaric, more bravado and macho - it required you to have a strong leader and most the good sides did, Farrell was perfect for Wigan during those days, he was as fearless as they came, wasn't afraid to mix it in a bit of biff but knew when to get involved and when to leave it. He had an excellent skill set and was respected by all - even the Aussies

SOL is much more of a leader by example and in the modern game that is really what is needed. The modern game is about skill and speed, sports science is held of in high regard and the game is no longer about having a good punch up to settle a score. I think the modern game it's more important that the coach is the big talker and the captain is the one leading the way with his actions. SOL is great at this and people respect him because they know he runs his blood to water for the team and again he is one of the few GB player the Aussies respect

Both great captains both from different times
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:I think both SOL and Andy Farrell Have been/were great captains of Wigan in their own right.

It's unfair to compare because they come from different era's of the game really it's also unfair to demean how good Farrell was off the pots he won or the however you feel about his move to union.

Farrell was an awesome player and a fantastic athlete in the days were athletisicm wasn't as focused on, rugby league in Farrells day was more barbaric, more bravado and macho - it required you to have a strong leader and most the good sides did, Farrell was perfect for Wigan during those days, he was as fearless as they came, wasn't afraid to mix it in a bit of biff but knew when to get involved and when to leave it. He had an excellent skill set and was respected by all - even the Aussies

SOL is much more of a leader by example and in the modern game that is really what is needed. The modern game is about skill and speed, sports science is held of in high regard and the game is no longer about having a good punch up to settle a score. I think the modern game it's more important that the coach is the big talker and the captain is the one leading the way with his actions. SOL is great at this and people respect him because they know he runs his blood to water for the team and again he is one of the few GB player the Aussies respect

Totaly agree and good assesment of both players.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:I think both SOL and Andy Farrell Have been/were great captains of Wigan in their own right.

On hindsight yes, Farrell was a good captain, I was really referring to the success O'Loughlin has had.

They are both very different players but it took SOL years to throw off the mantle of 'Andy Farrell's brother-in-law' & the comparisons that many made.

I watch both play from an early age but I still prefer the type of captain SOL is & told him when he was 18, he would be the next captain of Wigan after Faz :)

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
michael inch stoke

Post by michael inch stoke »

:eusa2: :eusa2:
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

josie andrews wrote:

On hindsight yes, Farrell was a good captain, I was really referring to the success O'Loughlin has had.

They are both very different players but it took SOL years to throw off the mantle of 'Andy Farrell's brother-in-law' & the comparisons that many made.

I watch both play from an early age but I still prefer the type of captain SOL is & told him when he was 18, he would be the next captain of Wigan after Faz :)
I agree for me SOL is the ultimate team player. Not as good individually as Faz was but he dictates a game friends me of Laurie Daley type player.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

nitsua wrote:I have seen a lot of Wigan captains in my time, but Andy Farrell IMO is one of the best ever. I'm not knocking SOL because he is one of my favourite players, but he wasn't as great a captain as Fot nz.
Why do you think that Andy was a better captain than SOL or indeed any other captain of Wigan?

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
nitsua wrote:I have seen a lot of Wigan captains in my time, but Andy Farrell IMO is one of the best ever. I'm not knocking SOL because he is one of my favourite players, but he wasn't as great a captain as Fot nz.
Why do you think that Andy was a better captain than SOL or indeed any other captain of Wigan?
They were all exactly the same.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Mike wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
They were all exactly the same.
Same in what way?
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Different people/players and time. For me Faz had some very very good players around him, he was also playing against teams with the same level of players. SL is not able to either hold or attract that same pedigree now in Lockers time as to when Faz was leading.
Looking at it from the outside I get the feeling Faz would have had, and did himself, have more attitudes and characters to deal with. I remember some massive performances from Faz and plenty shouting behind the sticks when we was loseing. With the talent in the side did he really achieve as much as he could have at Wigan?
I don't get that same feeling with Lockers, with the team, players and coaches for that matter I seem to be of the oppinion he's done just as well if not better without the fuss or noise made about it.
Lockers captaincy has been good, it's hard to judge who's better because owners, coaches, players and the strength of other teams dictate how successful you are more.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
SJ

Post by SJ »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Farrell set his stall out not only to get more money in Union at the end of his playing career, but more so to take his Son Owen to Union.

Yes, Owen did come back to Wigan to play games for St Patricks and from what I have been told wanted to stay in Wigan with a relative, but was persuaded to do otherwise by Andy who saw a bigger future for his Son, both financially and playing wise in Union, especially at International level which has a higher profile than our game.

For that you can hardly blame Andy, but at the same time the fact remains that a potential Rugby League Star and International was taken away from our game.

p.s. And I am not the only one in Wigan who has that opinion!

Whelley Warrior has taken a lot of stick for having the opinion he holds on this topic Yet he is factually correct in what he says as far as he can be indeed some of the criticism is supported by these same critics; such has he(Faz) can't be blamed for putting his family firstWW expressly states (see above) "for that you can hardly blame Andy. " which connotes that WW doesn't blame him for that. and refers the readers to the "fact " that is the reason why he wouldn't welcome him back to be our coach. Later he goes on to say we should look elsewhere and he gives examples which I won't rehearse here.
Like it or lump it it's his opinion if there were a trophy.for the most loyal fan on this forum I would give it WW. ( Whelley send my fee via the club

:D