An absolute bl**dy disgrace

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Alex the Warrior

Re: An absolut bl**dy disg...

Post by Alex the Warrior »

I've never liked Millward as a person (separating that from being Stains' coach). As I stated on here the other night, I hated Andy Gregory before he played for us, but loved him after he signed for the skills he brought to Wigan.

I'm not sure that loving Millie will ever be an option, but I dislike the cr*p served up by Wigan recently more than I ever disliked him. The bloke is a winner and we desperately need someone like him to revive our club. If the dejection felt by his sacking and appointment as our coach felt by a mate of mine is felt across the board by their fans, then this is a very good thing indeed.
From Mission Impossible (1991) to The Great Escape (2006)
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

The Gimble posted:

Apart from 2 other choices in Chris Anderson and
Shaun Edwards there were no other choice outthere of adequate quality for the job.
You having a laugh?
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

the gimble posted:

Forgot to mention in my rather large post that im also happy Denis stays. We now have a good coaching team and still have continuity
Are you hoping that the coaching of the team continues in the vein? Surely not.
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

Millward - Betts coaches are they the problem or does the board need to uncover the mirrors at home.
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

damien morrissey posted:
Millward - Betts coaches are they the problem or does the board need to uncover the mirrors at home.
Have you been listening to too many of Betts pre-match speeches?
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
damien morrissey

I dont need to i look at the team sheets and remember how they looked six years ago. I know we shouldnt look back but forward but that is proving painful at this point in time.
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Repeating myself here.

O'Conner, McDermott, Connelly, Cassidy could all make our squad after more than a decade playing 1st grade. All of them are light years away from playing for the GB team but could bolster our team immeasureably.

Robinson, Briscoe and Hodgeson would waltz into our squad as well. What greater indicment of the recruiting /retention policy can there be.
damien morrissey

Doveoverdave posted:
Repeating myself here.

O'Conner, McDermott, Connelly, Cassidy could all make our squad after more than a decade playing 1st grade. All of them are light years away from playing for the GB team but could bolster our team immeasureably.

Robinson, Briscoe and Hodgeson would waltz into our squad as well. What greater indicment of the recruiting /retention policy can there be.
I think we are on crossed lines here.Do you think that any coach would be happy losing the players in your final paragraph cos the coaches who have bought them are rubbing there hands.As to the first group of players amazing servants in there day but not going to give us any thing for the future due to wear and tear of playing the game for so long but where are the players the board should be buying to replace these players when the club turns them over.
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

damien morrissey posted:
I dont need to i look at the team sheets and remember how they looked six years ago. I know we shouldnt look back but forward but that is proving painful at this point in time.
No I didn't mean that! I meant your message seemed so cryptic for me at this time of night. Had a long tiring day full of Millward emotions and hang over.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

The older guys mentioned (Baz apart) wanted gadually replacing YEARS ago and weren't. Indeed Cassidy was very fortunate to have such a long career at Wigan because in the teams of old he never looked good enough to me. The forwards were left to stagnate or only bolstered with players nearing reirement age therefore exacerbating the problem.

We have good youngsters and decisions needed to made about who to release and who to retain. Somebody got this copletely wrong by releasing Robbo, Hodgy and Briscoe and keeping the likes of Brown and others.

I believe that any regular first teamer in the Wigan squad is not far from the mind of the GB coach.This is my yard stick.The old guard mentioned have had their day, Hodgy has made the GB 40 and the other two could maybe in a year or two.

Not one of our currant team would I select for GB at the Mo. Rads, Carney or Newton.

Recruitment/retention of players has been abysmal.