Who should Wigan sign?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: Who should Wigan sign?

Post by nathan_rugby »

LooseHead wrote:I'd lose Mossop and bring in Alex Gerrard from Widnes.
Very solid player. Capable of 80 minutes at prop, never does anything silly, great at winning the floor and also good in defence.

Having played for Golborne and then Hindley he was a Wigan fan, but he's very happy at Widnes.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Thomas Bosc as a centre?
Not a chance. Not good enough and we have some good years ahead with Gildart and Gelling.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Can't remember who it was, but they were going for Ah Van of Widnes.

Can honestly say I've never seen a bigger carthorse than watching him today for Widnes v Saints. A winger wither little speed and no evasion, just relying on muscle power to beat opponents. These days with the power and strength of most SL players you need much more than this, although on occasions he'd be strong in limited chances within 5 metres of the line.

Also, for a winger it gave his error count at FIVE, and that with 20 minutes still to run, when I had to go out. If a Wigan player had racked up such a massive number of errors, there'd be an outcry on here.

So I'd say steer well clear of him; the best prospect I've seen lately has been the young Wakefield winger, Johnstone.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Nezza Faz wrote:Can't remember who it was, but they were going for Ah Van of Widnes.

Can honestly say I've never seen a bigger carthorse than watching him today for Widnes v Saints. A winger wither little speed and no evasion, just relying on muscle power to beat opponents. These days with the power and strength of most SL players you need much more than this, although on occasions he'd be strong in limited chances within 5 metres of the line.

Also, for a winger it gave his error count at FIVE, and that with 20 minutes still to run, when I had to go out. If a Wigan player had racked up such a massive number of errors, there'd be an outcry on here.
Even Martin Offiah had bad games
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

I'm not a fan, but Luke gale appears to offer much more than matty Smith, not a bad goal kicker either.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Smith, Williams, Powell and Hampshire all have around three years left on their contracts. Therefore can't see us buying a half back anytime soon.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Johnstone would be a great buy IMO. More so if Josh is leaving and Budgie is not returning ASAP.
Cherry_Warrior

Post by Cherry_Warrior »

cpwigan wrote:Johnstone would be a great buy IMO. More so if Josh is leaving and Budgie is not returning ASAP.
I think that is who we will go for if not already made a bid. I would be very surprised if he isn't already firmly on our radar. Phil Clarke keeps bigging him up and would guess he has mentioned it to the coaching staff at some point.I haven't seen much of him if i am honest, just what people have said but what i have seen is that he is very quick and has got fast feet.
LooseHead

Post by LooseHead »

nathan_rugby wrote:
LooseHead wrote:I'd lose Mossop and bring in Alex Gerrard from Widnes.
Very solid player. Capable of 80 minutes at prop, never does anything silly, great at winning the floor and also good in defence.

Having played for Golborne and then Hindley he was a Wigan fan, but he's very happy at Widnes.
Every pack needs someone who lightens the load of the other forwards. We had it with Mick Cass, then HH and Coley but over the last 2 seasons we've not had a workhorse. And by workhorse I don't mean it to demean skill, I mean someone who the opposition know will be first or second man into every tackle in the middle 20 metres of the pitch. Ok, Powell racks up 53 tackles v Stains and Lockers has had game after game of 50 plus tackle matches in his career but a regular 35 tackle forward who plays 80 min is worth their weight in gold. Alex G can do that, Chris Hill, the new guy Houston at Widnes and a few others and we could really do with one.