Message to Ian Lenagan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Message to Ian Lenagan

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:Coaches are judged on results and so they should be!! For nearly 3 years now our results when it matters have not been good enough! Wane needs replacing asap!!
They are TBW but Wigan are also in the entertainment business and I can't remember the last time I got entertained watching this dross!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

If Wane was to go, who should replace him?

An assistant coach from a NRL team looking to strengthen his CV for a NRL first team post return, a bit like madge did.

An experienced Aussie coach on his way out of the NRL ratings.

A british SL coach, how many good ones are there to choose from.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Panchitta Marra wrote:If Wane was to go, who should replace him?
Depending on who IS available I would go for Stephen Kearney
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Firestarter wrote:He needs to go asap for me.
New coach can then see our faults and totally change our attacking system next season.
Tierney and Sarge driving the ball out is just poor tactics
TADA that is our problem we have have wingers and centres taking the ball up too often.
The Yonner

Post by The Yonner »

I agree with the majority view that Wane is out of his depth as Head Coach. Not only because of the tactical and organizational problems on the field, but because the squad is unbalanced.

Wane has signed a plethora of forwards, with a build halfway between the traditional prop and second rower - much like himself in his playing days. That means we have neither power enough for the "go forward" not speed and penetration to break the defensive line.

We have no halfbacks/loose forward/hooker who can consistently time a pass or confuse the opposition's defence. And our threequarters are woefully weak at the moment.

With Wane's history, you might expect him to model his coaching on Graham Lowe, John Monie or Michael Maguire. But to me the nearest comparison would be Vince Karalius. Karalius was considered ahead of his time in fitness and conditioning, but paid little regard to attacking flair, and according to Bill Ashurst's memoirs, actively suppressed enterprising attacking play.

Having said all that, with Sam Tomkins reinvented as a half back, and some strengthening in the areas mentioned above, a new coach could have reason to be optimistic.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Seriously Wane will never resign and IL will not sack him. Wane pulled the best red herring getting himself linked to the NZ Warriors coaching job.

The longer Wane has remained the more Wigan have lost the plot when in possession. Wane came into this job with a utopian view of what RL actually is about when the reality is very different. Hell, even Wire scoot their way to success. For a prop Wane is bizarely oblivious to go forward and momentum starts in and around the POTB with players grouped in that area. Wigan under Wane have from day 1 simply spread ludicrously wide and passsed laterally (Waneball :) ) and then done exactly the same the other way. if we do hit ups it is solo normally by outside backs with no options. If our props ever get it with no options they get smashed. It is incredibly sad to see the players flog themselves sily tackling because the Wane game plan requires near perfection or very poor opposition. Otherwise the Wigan players spend most of every game tackling.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

thegimble wrote:
New coach can then see our faults and totally change our attacking system next season.
TADA that is our problem we have have wingers and centres taking the ball up too often.
People keep complaining about our outside backs taking the ball out of defence (whilst at the same time calling for an Aussie coach), but nearly all sides, including virtually all NRL sides, do this. Josh Mansour, Manu Vatuvei, Semi Radradra... they all do it. Just as much, if not more, than Wigan.

Likewise the complaint about playing split halves. I would agree that half-backs should be prepared to show some in-game flexibility, but split halves is hardly a discredited tactic, plenty of top sides do it: the Cowboys (mostly, but not all the time) do, with Thurston on the left and Morgan on the right, Manly used to do it effectively with Cherry-Evans on the right and Foran on the left, and so on. Our issue on the halves is simply that Smith is not up to the job, and compares unfavourably to every 7 he comes up against (Sneyd on Friday, and when we played Cas last, even though Gale had a very poor game, he was still better than Smith), and Williams deserves the support of an experienced half to bring his game on, whereas at the moment he clearly realises he is the only attacking threat, and hence is tempted to do too much at times.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

And they are all big strong wingers
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

moto748 wrote:
thegimble wrote:
People keep complaining about our outside backs taking the ball out of defence (whilst at the same time calling for an Aussie coach), but nearly all sides, including virtually all NRL sides, do this. Josh Mansour, Manu Vatuvei, Semi Radradra... they all do it. Just as much, if not more, than Wigan.

Likewise the complaint about playing split halves. I would agree that half-backs should be prepared to show some in-game flexibility, but split halves is hardly a discredited tactic, plenty of top sides do it: the Cowboys (mostly, but not all the time) do, with Thurston on the left and Morgan on the right, Manly used to do it effectively with Cherry-Evans on the right and Foran on the left, and so on. Our issue on the halves is simply that Smith is not up to the job, and compares unfavourably to every 7 he comes up against (Sneyd on Friday, and when we played Cas last, even though Gale had a very poor game, he was still better than Smith), and Williams deserves the support of an experienced half to bring his game on, whereas at the moment he clearly realises he is the only attacking threat, and hence is tempted to do too much at times.
As the poster above says size. Manfredi can do some damage in the middle and so can Gelling. None of the others get more than 2 players into the tackle.

No team sees the wingers and centres take the ball up as much as we do. As you say all do it but we do it all too often and get nothing out of it.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Firestarter wrote:And they are all big strong wingers
Yes, they are, but I don't think we'd be found wanting in that department (certainly not at SL level) with Manfredi and Burgess.

I agree with the general view that Tierney is not a first-choice SL winger.