Relegation for wigan this season ?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
MrsLam

Re: Relegation for wigan t...

Post by MrsLam »

I want to hear a realistic yet positive approach to the second half of the season. It's still possible to get into the top 6, it's still possible to get into the semis of the CC if not further. Both these competitions seem to have been forgotten for this year and that's just not good enough. I'd rather get there and lose than not get there at all (getting used to it now anyway) I want a top 6 finish and at least a semi appearance in the CC, anything less and I'll be disappointed. It's not an unrealistic ask.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
Lockers15

Post by Lockers15 »

MrsLam posted:
I want to hear a realistic yet positive approach to the second half of the season. It's still possible to get into the top 6, it's still possible to get into the semis of the CC if not further. Both these competitions seem to have been forgotten for this year and that's just not good enough. I'd rather get there and lose than not get there at all (getting used to it now anyway) I want a top 6 finish and at least a semi appearance in the CC, anything less and I'll be disappointed. It's not an unrealistic ask.
ye everyone is to busy moaning about the position where in that the forget
where still in the CC cup! and there is only 7 other teams that can say that. :) and anyway what is wrong with some of the players that we have now? you cant expect them to be superstars when they have been rushed throught the academy because we pile up the annual mile long injury list! fans must think positive. in a couple of years time the superleague experience that the youngsters have from this season will put them above the rest because other teams didn't give their youngsters a runout.
Ron

Post by Ron »

MrsLam posted:
Not expecting owt special from us this season but it bothers me that I have paid for a season ticket and attended every home match and 90% of the away matches and I'm now being told "We're building for next year" This season isn't over yet, I paid for this year and would like to see at least some positive change before October
Yes it would be nice to see some results this season. I did not buy a season ticket this year but on the signing of IM I decided to get a mini season ticket. People asked why would I buy a season ticket to watch the team as it at present. My reply was that it would be interesting to see the team at its worst and watch gradually over the weeks to, hopefully, see them improve. Maybe you could look at it this way and not feel too depressed.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

MrsLam posted:
The way the results have gone today it looks like 6th is the best we'll manage, but there's now us, London, Huddersfield and Salford sharing the points for that slot. Warrington are 6 points ahead in 5th, and I can't really see us being able to overhaul that even if we manage to get ahead of the others all after that coveted last top 6 spot.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Tom_McCooey posted:
Exactly, I'm chuffed we have Millward too and he really does need time. You can't turn a squad round in 11 days.. Also, people keep comparing this squad to 1997, I think people are forgetting that we actually finished 4th in 1997, so really we were in a better position then. Anyway, forget that, just give Millward a season and we'll see because he can deliver.

As MO said last week there is a plan of where we have to be within a year.

That is 365 days not 14 days. Some Wires fans come on here and start winding things up and most fall for it.

Well struggle to make top 6. And for me it would be a blessing to miss out. A few weeks more rest for the players and new recruitment will help us a lot morew than to make the play offs win 1 game and lose the next one.

Well not win a thing this season that is obvious to all. Most propably the get IM out are Saints fans who are not too happy with him joining us.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

MrsLam posted:
Realistically well lose to the Saints and not make top 6. As u say its not unrealistic.

We need to get through this season and not pick up any key long term injuries. As soon as we are safe from relegation for me players like Newton and a few others would be rested. It will take 1 step back to make 2 steps forward.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Think we might struggle for 6th. We have 12 games left in which we play Leeds, Hull and Saints twice. We are not likely to get much from these games, whereas Hudds have IMO a much easier run in playing Wakefield, London and Leigh twice. The end of season could be really interesting. Our penultimate game is Saints at home, theirs is Bulls away, then we meet at their place in the last game!!
mario

Post by mario »

El Rifle posted.
Have any of you doubters of fletcher actually seen him play???
I don't question Fletchers' ability,but i question the logic of bringing somebody of his age over here on a 2 year contract when Mo only saw fit to give Hock a 1 year contract last season.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Fletcher is universally regarded as a top class player who, at 30, is hardly past it. Everybody yaps on about bringing Lam back and he's 33, 34?

Hock was developing but is nowhere near the finished article Fletcher is. IMO it is possible but by no means certain Hock would have continued to develop into an international class 2nd row. He needed to put on a lot of weight and the prudent thing to do was give him a short term contract to see how he turned out.
mario

Post by mario »

That's what our problem is! we keep signing overseas players( that are not over the hill), instead of our young prospects. IMO Hock is certain to become a class player,if not world class.