Tonights game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Tonights game

Post by fozzieskem »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:If I was IFL I would be worried, people will start voting with their feet.
I think its the casual fan theyre losing too,perhaps the ex season ticket holder new fan sort of person,whos going to pay "new" money for that sort of display on a regular basis?

moto748

Post by moto748 »

I was saying to a mate of mine the other night, frankly I'd swap Tomkins for Ratchford any old time. Who was the best full-back on the pitch tonight? And ST is probably on twice his wages. And as for FPN, don't get me started! :evil: Clubb came on and once again showed the way. He must be pretty dispirited with the way the rest of the team played.

Wire didn't have to be good to beat us, and they weren't. I'm not looking forwards to Leeds; they will slaughter us on this form. And we can forget about the Cup too if this continues.

At half-time I thought, well, at least we've usually finished the stronger in the last twenty, but not tonight. Just brainless football, giving the ball away in our own half with stupid offloads. Do they ever watch videos of good sides? Queensland, the Cowboys, the Storm, the Sharks, if they do find themselves behind, they don't panic; they keep to their structures, keep playing solid footy in the knowledge that it will come good. Why can't we do that?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

moto748 wrote:Do they ever watch videos of good sides? Queensland, the Cowboys, the Storm, the Sharks, if they do find themselves behind, they don't panic; they keep to their structures, keep playing solid footy in the knowledge that it will come good. Why can't we do that?
Well that presupposes we are playing solid footy in the first place which we aren't. Plan A is the one that isn't working.

The reason we start flinging it about in the last 15 or 20 minutes is because in my opinion until then any deviation from said rubbish plan A will be met at half time by a bollocking. At the end if we are losing then there is nothing to lose.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I never wanted Sam back, I knew he wouldn't be the same player. You need a full back with pace who can join the line and make the defence think, you won't get that with Sam anymore as he's lost his pace. I'd have escare back at full back in the new season, more of a threat.
Bateman doesn't look fit, don't have a clue what's happened to Williams.
Our rugby isn't going to change under Wane it's always gonna be pretty dyer. We won't make the playoffs(deservedly so) but we will end up winning the CC so that will save Wanes arse and we will have to put up with his crap for yet another season.
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

Really difficult to know where to start with this one but at the very least I'd like to hear some hint of Shaun Wane taking responsibility for these abject performances. If it's not injuries, it's the players not turning up. The underlying message always seems to be 'if they would only do it my way everything will be OK' but it seems as if every bit of flair has been coached out of very good players. Some of the plays last night looked shocking and inept but were the result of sheer desperation on behalf of the team. And yet - apparently we don't need any help this season and all the comments from the club point to more of the same next season. I've been watching Wigan for a long, long time but can't ever remember (yes, even in late 70's, early 80's) having less enthusiasm for matchdays. Finally as well as hearing SW take some responsibility and admitting that he is clueless about attacking rugby, I'd like to hear some expression of concern from IL and/or Kris Radlinski about where we are heading. Please give us something to be excited/enthusiastic about soon, some hope!

I don't really care if SW is a good or a bad coach; it's now irrelevant. I feel the club is disrespecting the lifeblood of the club - the fans. Many of us can't/won't take much more and someone needs to front up to the paying customers. It really is time for change.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Fan4Fifty wrote:Really difficult to know where to start with this one but at the very least I'd like to hear some hint of Shaun Wane taking responsibility for these abject performances. If it's not injuries, it's the players not turning up. The underlying message always seems to be 'if they would only do it my way everything will be OK' but it seems as if every bit of flair has been coached out of very good players. Some of the plays last night looked shocking and inept but were the result of sheer desperation on behalf of the team. And yet - apparently we don't need any help this season and all the comments from the club point to more of the same next season. I've been watching Wigan for a long, long time but can't ever remember (yes, even in late 70's, early 80's) having less enthusiasm for matchdays. Finally as well as hearing SW take some responsibility and admitting that he is clueless about attacking rugby, I'd like to hear some expression of concern from IL and/or Kris Radlinski about where we are heading. Please give us something to be excited/enthusiastic about soon, some hope!

I don't really care if SW is a good or a bad coach; it's now irrelevant. I feel the club is disrespecting the lifeblood of the club - the fans. Many of us can't/won't take much more and someone needs to front up to the paying customers. It really is time for change.
You're quite correct about the management of the club frankly ignoring the fans,during that awful run not once did IL or Rads diegn to speak to the faans,throw a crumb of comfort to say "we know its bad but stick with us"type message.

Look at Leeds and ole Gary H and his letter to the fans,it seemed to galvanise everyone up there,team,the fans all seemed to feel they were in it together,nothing from our top dogs at all,just keep on buying the sub standard merch please.

You can only fool people for so long,ive said all along this game is about bums on seats,there is plenty of other interests vying for peoples hard earned leasure cash,the gaps in the DW seem to be getting bigger as the season wares on,who is really going to go meaningless super 8 games that seem to be looming?

The team has to entertain and isnt and hasnt for a good while it needs fixing,the sooner the better even if they win the CC it wont disguies the issues that the side has and has had for awhile now.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Caboosegg wrote:because as said and repeatadly ignored by the Expert fans. Smith ran the show . just as saints form improved when he came back from injury.
There has not been a "show" for about two or three seasons. Our attack has been poor for far too long. Smith had a handful of good games a season and for the rest of the time was poor. He scared no one in the opposition team and never took the line on. Probably because he knows he hasn't got any pace.

The problem isn't the lack of Smith but a clueless coach.
just not true though.

people forget how bad we were the season we followed Deacons attack plan. they said at start of the season we where trying something new it didnt work deacon moved to sale and wane got blamed for the attack.

we have had issues since Harris left for salford.

but im going to have to disagree with you on smith, id agree he only have a few very good games but 99% of the time he was good and solid (goal kicking apart) he spends the entire 80 minutes organising talking and looking for the options. we had a very similar injury crisis last year but we won the GF. we had a settled halves with smith organising Williams was allowed to play what he saw/wanted.

tommy doesnt do this sure he attacks the line more. hits harder but he doesnt seem to talk much and is out of position alot. i dont blame the player. we had to very different halves last season which both played very different games. this year we have lost the organiser and just have two attacking halves.
Thanks for savjng my phone battery totally agree.

Wane needs to swallow some pride and get an attack coach. 2012 best attack we have had in sl and Wane was tbe coach.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Wandering Warrior wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote:Wane is untouchable I'm afraid, get used to it. It will get much worse before it gets better.
I could write a wish list of what I'd like for the team player wise and that won't happen neither.
I wonder if Waney has sleepless nights this season or is it a case of no sense no feeling?
Tonight was embarrassing at best.
In Wanes defence i think he feels every loss as bad as us, the issue is he just isn't capable of changing. He just isn't good enough, maybe if we had a union style attack and defence coach set up he would be good but we don't and he isn't
TBH I agree with what you say, just venting off my annoyance.
We did with Harris and Wane was a good coach in 2013
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Agreed, except we won't get past Salford playing like that, let alone win the Challenge Cup. And I hate to say it, but I'm starting to think I'm on the side of those fans who say they hope we don't win it; if it's a necessary sacrifice to force change for the future, it'd be well worth it.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

The under 19s could have put up a better showing than this.Some of the Wigan players are stealing a living