WIGAN AND HULL SET TO FACE SOUTH SYDNEY AND ST GEORGE IN AUSTRALIA

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: WIGAN AND HULL SET TO FACE SOUTH SYDNEY AND ST GEORGE...

Post by Firestarter »

Its a 2- 2.30 train ride from sydney circular if anybody is going...... god knows why they picked one of the longest sydney ground distances....... theres not much in woolongong neither( although its a pleasant little place).....ohhh and the grounds on the beach
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

old hooker wrote:Imo it just shows what Mr Lenaghan thinks of the supporters, the only beneficiary of this venture is Lenaghan himself.You can rest assured he will gain financially and supporters will lose.There are people who think the chairman has put lots of money into the club without reaping anything back, this is wrong.He is a businessman and his first priority is to line his own pockets.This decision is a slap in the face to Wigan supporters and I will be amazed if season ticket sales do not decrease for 2018.
You are entitled to your opinion, old hooker.

And mine is that Whelan's interest in the club had declined once he got the stadium and Latics in the top division. Regardless of whether he spent his own money or not, Leneghan came in and stabilised, even saved, a club which was in a dodgy state. For that I am grateful to him.

No two people will ever completely agree on exactly how Wigan should be run, what players we should buy/keep/release etc etc. Because we're fans, and passionate about our team, these disagreements will be heated at times. For me, criticism of Leneghan's decisions is perfectly valid, but your unfounded assertion that "his priority is to line his own pockets" is untrue, unfair and unreasonable. Maybe you could explain how you came to this conclusion?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Fujiman wrote:
old hooker wrote:Imo it just shows what Mr Lenaghan thinks of the supporters, the only beneficiary of this venture is Lenaghan himself.You can rest assured he will gain financially and supporters will lose.There are people who think the chairman has put lots of money into the club without reaping anything back, this is wrong.He is a businessman and his first priority is to line his own pockets.This decision is a slap in the face to Wigan supporters and I will be amazed if season ticket sales do not decrease for 2018.
IMO think youve got it completely wrong on almost everything youve said. Not sure about ST sales but if there down think it might be because of RFL in general not doing enough. this decision by Wigan is in effect saying to RFL to pulll your finger out. I heard Roger Draper interviewed on Talk sport yesterday and he was dreadful. Didnt do a good job of promoting RL

I agree the RL are useless and do not promote the game as they should, but are you seriously saying that we have to take a game of RL to Australia, where I might add the game is already stronger, higher profile and far better in every aspect just to hint to the RL to pull their fingers out?
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Morley I came to this conclusion because that is what successful business people do, they ensure that the will not lose out financially on any decision they make.Mr Lenaghan is no different, he wants to make money out of any project he is involved in, if he didnt he would not be successful.This is not criticism but fact, I may well be the same were I in his position but I can promise you he is not in it lose money or just please you and I.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

old hooker wrote:Morley I came to this conclusion because that is what successful business people do, they ensure that the will not lose out financially on any decision they make.Mr Lenaghan is no different, he wants to make money out of any project he is involved in, if he didnt he would not be successful.This is not criticism but fact, I may well be the same were I in his position but I can promise you he is not in it lose money or just please you and I.
Old Hooker, I'm sure you read much of the General Election thread on Off Topic, so you'll know that I have no liking for greed, capitalism or big business. To me, the tone of your post was to slag off IL on the basis that the prime purpose of the 2018 Aussie trip is to line his pockets.

I doubt if either of us has details of the costs or potential profits of this mini-tour, so we're both speculating. I'm not totally convinced that it's a great idea, but I think it's unfair to question IL's motives in the way you did.

If I had his money and his business experience, then, as a Wigan fan, I might decide to take over the club - "invest" in it, both financially and with time & expertise. To judge this mainly on the basis that if it costs me a fortune, I must be a good bloke, but if I make the club profitable, I'm a robber baron, seems beyond parody.

Owners/chairmen come and go, some better than others. (I was employed by Norman Bibby back in the day, you'll remember him.) I'd like us to win more trophies this year and next year, but not if it means there's no club here for my grandkids to watch in 50 years time. Imagine we had Chris Caisley as owner. Bradford won many trophies under him. But where are they now?

Leneghan has strengthened Wigan imo. He may not be perfect, but in the 90s and 2000s our future was uncertain. He steadied the ship and we've become a trophy winning team again. I don't think he deserves comments like yours, OH.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

morley pie eater wrote:
old hooker wrote:Morley I came to this conclusion because that is what successful business people do, they ensure that the will not lose out financially on any decision they make.Mr Lenaghan is no different, he wants to make money out of any project he is involved in, if he didnt he would not be successful.This is not criticism but fact, I may well be the same were I in his position but I can promise you he is not in it lose money or just please you and I.
Old Hooker, I'm sure you read much of the General Election thread on Off Topic, so you'll know that I have no liking for greed, capitalism or big business. To me, the tone of your post was to slag off IL on the basis that the prime purpose of the 2018 Aussie trip is to line his pockets.

I doubt if either of us has details of the costs or potential profits of this mini-tour, so we're both speculating. I'm not totally convinced that it's a great idea, but I think it's unfair to question IL's motives in the way you did.

If I had his money and his business experience, then, as a Wigan fan, I might decide to take over the club - "invest" in it, both financially and with time & expertise. To judge this mainly on the basis that if it costs me a fortune, I must be a good bloke, but if I make the club profitable, I'm a robber baron, seems beyond parody.

Owners/chairmen come and go, some better than others. (I was employed by Norman Bibby back in the day, you'll remember him.) I'd like us to win more trophies this year and next year, but not if it means there's no club here for my grandkids to watch in 50 years time. Imagine we had Chris Caisley as owner. Bradford won many trophies under him. But where are they now?

Leneghan has strengthened Wigan imo. He may not be perfect, but in the 90s and 2000s our future was uncertain. He steadied the ship and we've become a trophy winning team again. I don't think he deserves comments like yours, OH.
Good post Morley, no disrespect to Old Hooker BTW ????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

old hooker wrote:
Fujiman wrote:
IMO think youve got it completely wrong on almost everything youve said. Not sure about ST sales but if there down think it might be because of RFL in general not doing enough. this decision by Wigan is in effect saying to RFL to pulll your finger out. I heard Roger Draper interviewed on Talk sport yesterday and he was dreadful. Didnt do a good job of promoting RL

I agree the RL are useless and do not promote the game as they should, but are you seriously saying that we have to take a game of RL to Australia, where I might add the game is already stronger, higher profile and far better in every aspect just to hint to the RL to pull their fingers out?
Not at all but I'm proud to be a supporter of a progressive club that has always gone beyond just what was needed to be done.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Agreed, and I think our game would be healthier if IL was running the show rather than those deadbeats in Leeds.
doc

Post by doc »

Will the club be offering free transport to Sydney like they did to Millwall?

Only asking as I signed up to the direct debit scheme last year for cheaper season tickets and now find I'm losing a match next year, possibly two if we play as badly next year and miss out on the top four again.
oldhooker

Post by oldhooker »

Morley as a Wigan fan of over 60 years I have supported them through thick and thin, praised them whe I though right and criticised wnen I thought it correct to do so.I stand by mystatement that IL is thinking of IL first and his main aim is to make money.You may not like my opinion but it matters not to me.