CC Final

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: CC Final

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

thegimble wrote:Our 6 and 7 have been shocking most of the game put into shame by the Hull FC combination.

Williams created nothing all game and TL well he is stealing a living in the game atm in time. Hull far superior in virtually all areas. Clubb no try was a try all day long blatant ball steal as the FC players arm moves and forces the ball out.

Only decent thing is we lost by 4 FC by 16 and more would have been a fair reflection. Our attack is clueless against organised defence. Season will be over on Friday thankfully its been painful to watch at times.
The biggest problem are our forwards. Jonathan Thurston would struggle behind our six. Williams and Tommy have no room to play in, their half backs had plenty of time and room in which to operate in. I don't think Sneyd got tackled in 80 mins.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

Wintergreen wrote:Well that was fun..........

My thoughts on the final:

1. Presumably Davies was injured. Marshall was a liability. Not his fault, but frankly he is too short to be a winger in the modern game.

2. We desperately need an organising #7. George is not suited to this role, he needs to be given the freedom to play off the cuff.

3. Sam is very ordinary at Full Back. Not useless, but not going to set the world on fire.

4. Burgess is either injured or has issues. Doesn't justify his place at the moment.

5. Reffing. It's awful. How was the ball not stripped out of Clubbs hands? I would seriously love to know the reasoning behind that decision.

Overall the sad thing is it wasn't a surprise to lose that game.

We were beaten by an average team by being disorganised and lacking in any attacking threat. Strangley enough I was watching George in the warm up and the amount of balls he dropped, he just looked "off it".
What about FPN, MM and Clubb? They were bullied! Our best spell was when those three were replaced.
shaunedwardsfanclub

fozzieskem wrote:Finally people are seeing what Smith brought to the table,not the best but far better than this seasons miserable offerings,not that the lynchmob will listen they made their minds up years ago.

Williams is in his current state in danger of being a "lost" player,let alone a marquee player,I asked a couple of times was he still on the pitch so abject his performance was.

Don't know what is the matter with Burgess he simply isn't the same player that left,miles of the pace.
Smith brought nothing to the table. What pots is he breaking at Saints? We need a class 7, two good props and a bloody good coach. We could have won today although we didn't deserve to.
shaunedwardsfanclub

acwrlfc wrote:Williams is the most overrated player in SL end of
Wayne Bennett doesn't agree.
shaunedwardsfanclub

butt monkey wrote:Firestarter wind yer bleeding neck in.
Even most of the neutral fans left at final hooter, now got a 3 hour wait get off the feckin car park
There were plenty still there in the lower tier when the players came over at the end.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I have not seen the final, I am on holiday in the US. Bad planning on my.part.

However having read the comments it seems as if we played pretty much as we have all season which is simply not good enough on attack.

The fact goal kicks separated the teams at the end just highlights a deficiency Wane has failed to address at all. The buck stops with him with that one.

Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

In fairness they were hard kicks and I didn't expect them to go over.

Then again Hull kicked theirs from the touchline so.........

One player who impressed was Gelling. Every time he got the ball he at least half broke the tackle. He looked very dangerous. Sadly we didn't get him into the game enough.

I will watch the game again today, but I didn't get the feeling it was our forwards who were dominated, just our lack of organisation. Maybe I was so obsessed with this aspect, I missed it.

Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

Wintergreen wrote:In fairness they were hard kicks and I didn't expect them to go over.

Then again Hull kicked theirs from the touchline so.........

One player who impressed was Gelling. Every time he got the ball he at least half broke the tackle. He looked very dangerous. Sadly we didn't get him into the game enough.

I will watch the game again today, but I didn't get the feeling it was our forwards who were dominated, just our lack of organisation. Maybe I was so obsessed with this aspect, I missed it.
Gelling did look good but he's being expected to play as a second row. 99% of his carried are a straight pass where he has to run at 2 or 3 defenders. Unfortunately, Tommy on Gelling's side of the field has created nothing all season for his centre and it's forcing Gelling to just play as another forward.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Clubbs try should of been given but i doesn't forgive the sh*t we've been producing.
There's not one player in that team who you can say stood out in that game. Completely outplayed and the best team won in my eyes.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Wintergreen wrote:
acwrlfc wrote:Williams is the most overrated player in SL end of
I think the talent is there, the issue he has is that he cannot play in a structured role. He needs someone alongside him to do this and free him up to do what he does best.

He reminds me of Hanley in that respect.
Problem is we got rid of Smith and got in a Hooker effectively to play 7 who can not kick and can not control a game. Williams form this season compared to last is a lot worse in the bigger games.

As I have said we have 1, 6 and 7 sorted for next season with the removal of TL to either coach or bit part player. Whilst Sam is improving at FB I see his future at 7 with Escare at full back.

Both in tandem would destroy SL as both can make a break or put a player away. Williams needs to develop his game whilst playing with TL that is not going to happen.

If we had Matty Smith yesterday we would have won.