Wane on Hamlin

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
SJ

Re: Wane on Hamlin

Post by SJ »

I and I believe Dave O and Ragman are not making out the lad is a "star" or any cognate expression We're just registering our disapproval at SW's public statement. For myself I stand by May remarks re Wanes dispensibiity We could be so much better with a coach with a brain
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I think some are extrapolating into infinity something which simply does not merit it. Wane praises Hamlin in every interview he gave after the game, and we are leaping on a stream of consciousness comment about quick ptbs also being important.
You clearly didn't listened to the clip on Radio Manchester if that is what you think. He was quite disdainful and I am sure the interviewer was as shocked as everyone else who heard it with Wanes response to his comment on Hamlin. The interviewer praises Hamlin and Wane reacts by saying the fans don't see the game the way he does, implying the fact we just saw how effective Hamlin was was some kind of mirage and we are all thick, and then he says what Hamlin did was "bad for the team". I bet the interviewers face was a picture when he got that response.

It was as if Wane was offended a player had the temerity to play the game differently to how he wants and be successful doing so!

As to whether he praised Hamlim elsewhere (which he did) that isn't the issue. He made a specific criticism in the radio interview that has given us an insight into his tactical thinking which is that he doesn't want forwards driving in like that despite having just seen it be effective and wants them to go to ground quickly.

He wants the game played his way regardless of how effective alternative tactics work.

Any sensible coach would on seeing HKR struggle with what Hamlin did get the message out for all his forwards to drive it in and might think that on other occasions it might also be an equally valid tactic. Clearly not Wane who thinks it's a bad idea full stop.
Wane found him, Wane signed him, Wane has been getting him fit, and Wane deserves the credit for how well he did yesterday. If we liked what we saw, we should be praising Wane and in many cases taking back the strong criticism he was given for signing an unknown in the first place.
Wane didn't find him and nor did he sign him. Like Gelling who was recommended by Dean Bell Hamlin was recommended to Wigan by contacts down under. You should know by now it's Rads and IL who sign the players.

As to praising Wane because we liked what we saw how in earth do you work that one out when he's just told you what we saw is not what he wants!
AncientWarrior

Post by AncientWarrior »

Surrender Tackle.

A referee may call "Surrender!" as a player is tackled to indicate that they have judged the player in possession to have allowed themselves to be tackled by diving to the ground or by collapsing in the tackle. The referee will allow the defending team more time to release the tackled player. The intention of the player in possession is to gain an unfair advantage by having a speedy play-the-ball and resumption of play so that their team can press their advantage by reducing the amount of time available for the defending team to organise their defence. The player in possession aims to allowing the tackle to be completed on their own terms, for example their body position, letting them more easily regain their feet.

A similar decision may be made where the ref considers that the tackler was ‘dominant’ over the player in possession. In other words, the ref makes a value judgement as to whether the tackled player is trying unfairly to get a quick ptb.

In contrast, therefore, the ref may consider that a player who takes the ball into contact in a determined fashion has ‘earned the right’ to a quick ptb and any interference will be penalized.

In both cases, Hamlin’s play was completely correct for himself and for the team.
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

The ref obviously decided than Hamlin had earned the right to a quick ptb hence the reason he penalised HKR tacklers for trying to delay Hamlin by hanging on to him.
Hamlin's effect on the game was massive both physically and mentally.
He dominated the tackles he went in to and the ground gained plus quick ptb and penalties earned gave the team a massive lift as well as us all in the crowd.
He could be massive again v Catalans as they try to slow down the ptb by all the usual methods. A repeat performance from Hamlin could bring the same results and points on the board.
That is, of course, if he is selected.
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

old hooker wrote:Hamlin may turn out to be an excellent signing and I certainly hope he does.But what is all the fuss about?He played very well against a dire side but that is about all.Wane or Radlinski decided to give him a chance on recommendations from people in the NRL so now its up to him, but lets not praise Hamlin for being a superstar yet or Wane for giving him a chance.

Realistically he was found not to be NRL standard so instead of going part time with a lower division club he came to SL, the minute he does something to get noticed he'll be back on the first plane. Not blaming the lad or saying I wouldn't do the same thing but no one should get carried away.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Josie's friend wrote: the minute he does something to get noticed he'll be back on the first plane.
Will he? Where did that come from? You just said he wasn't NRL standard...
sheepsteeth

Post by sheepsteeth »

not ready 4 pages can't be bothered.

When I played we got told burst the tackle or find the floor.

I think there's a fine line.

Fans cheer players who keep pumping the legs for an extra 5 seconds to make 3 more metres. This winds me up as it's pointless as it gives the defenders chance to get back.

If you can make several metres and attract extra defenders then great keep going. if not find the floor and play the ball.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

sheepsteeth wrote:not ready 4 pages can't be bothered.

When I played we got told burst the tackle or find the floor.

I think there's a fine line.

Fans cheer players who keep pumping the legs for an extra 5 seconds to make 3 more metres. This winds me up as it's pointless as it gives the defenders chance to get back.

If you can make several metres and attract extra defenders then great keep going. if not find the floor and play the ball.
Arnt you contradicting yourself. How can you attract extra defenders if your not carrying on pumping your legs for 5 seconds and trying to make extra ground. how can it give defenders time to get back if the player as drawn them into the tackle.
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

moto748 wrote:
Josie's friend wrote: the minute he does something to get noticed he'll be back on the first plane.
Will he? Where did that come from? You just said he wasn't NRL standard...
Did I released him from Rabbitohs development?
The answer is no.
Did I stop any other NRL Prem side coming in for him?
That would be a no too.
Are you just trying to be awkward?
Yes now go away