Mike Cooper

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Mike Cooper

Post by Caboosegg »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:40 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:27 pm I'm shocked that Powell is getting so much leeway with his clear out. He's not exactly a trophy winning coach but it seem SL is better off because of it.

As much as what happened to Briers seemed harsh it's been good for us.
Why?

You don’t give a coach a big contract and then not back him that makes little sense,I said it a few weeks back Williams will be under Powell beady eye very much from now on,may not be this year but I’m sure he will want him moved on but we shall see.
Because he's take an underperforming team and made it worse, he hasn't shown anything yet other than taking Wire backwards.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:58 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:55 pm Kevin Ward was 33 when Saints signed him. He played for them for 3 years.

To me, the signing of Cooper seems like the coaching team identifying a need - strategic planning.
To be fair MPE there are not many like Wardy. I have always liked Cooper but I think his best days are behind him. There are other players around who could have done a better job. I hope he proves me wrong.
I understand what you're saying, and we'll see how it turns out. But my point was that when Saints signed Ward they didn't know how long he could go for or how good he'd be. I'd say that his 3 years there turned out to be the best of his career.

Secondly, I'd give credit to the coaching team, which includes Lee Briers who was at Wire until recently, that they believe that Cooper will add value to the team/squad. Some of this may be pack leadership, example in training, bringing on our young props/middles. As I said, it seems like a strategic move compared with the haphazard look of some of our past signings.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Powell does seem to 'fall out' with players on a regular basis doesn't he?

It does seem a not very progressive move for us but the coaching team has obviously identified a need. Let's hope Cooper sorts his general style of play out because we don't need another walking (or running) penalty on the pitch.
blindsideprop

Post by blindsideprop »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:55 pm Kevin Ward was 33 when Saints signed him. He played for them for 3 years.

To me, the signing of Cooper seems like the coaching team identifying a need - strategic planning.
Please let us not compare Cooper with Kevin Ward
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

blindsideprop wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:56 am

Please let us not compare Cooper with Kevin Ward
Almost without fail when I post something like this someone misunderstands, or gets the wrong end of the stick. Where did I compare Cooper to Ward? Please explain.

I compared the situations of signing older props - end of story. My focus was on the reasons the coaching team would do this, like us having young props, the need for leadership/example in that department.

If we have to go through every post we write and qualify every detail to ensure someone doesn't come back with a response to something that was never said or implied, it will get very tedious.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

morley pie eater wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:26 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:58 pm

To be fair MPE there are not many like Wardy. I have always liked Cooper but I think his best days are behind him. There are other players around who could have done a better job. I hope he proves me wrong.
I understand what you're saying, and we'll see how it turns out. But my point was that when Saints signed Ward they didn't know how long he could go for or how good he'd be. I'd say that his 3 years there turned out to be the best of his career.

Secondly, I'd give credit to the coaching team, which includes Lee Briers who was at Wire until recently, that they believe that Cooper will add value to the team/squad. Some of this may be pack leadership, example in training, bringing on our young props/middles. As I said, it seems like a strategic move compared with the haphazard look of some of our past signings.
I don’t disagree with any of that Morley and I would like Cooper to succeed and play for a few more years yet.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Southern Softy wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:30 am Powell does seem to 'fall out' with players on a regular basis doesn't he?

It does seem a not very progressive move for us but the coaching team has obviously identified a need. Let's hope Cooper sorts his general style of play out because we don't need another walking (or running) penalty on the pitch.
Just saw all the Wires props stats in the Warrington Guardian before coming on here and was interested to see Cooper had given the least penalties away of any of their props with just 3 in 12 games. I think it was Philbin top with 8 and Bullock next with 6.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Cooper is an intelligent and articulate man. When people say he's a leader then I for one would certainly believe it. This has Lee Briers influence all over it. Briers will know everything there is to know about Coopers game and it could be a very good signing for Wigan.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:17 am
fozzieskem wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:40 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:27 pm I'm shocked that Powell is getting so much leeway with his clear out. He's not exactly a trophy winning coach but it seem SL is better off because of it.

As much as what happened to Briers seemed harsh it's been good for us.
Why?

You don’t give a coach a big contract and then not back him that makes little sense,I said it a few weeks back Williams will be under Powell beady eye very much from now on,may not be this year but I’m sure he will want him moved on but we shall see.
Because he's take an underperforming team and made it worse, he hasn't shown anything yet other than taking Wire backwards.
Me lord I present the case for the defence…

Ian Watson last year at Huddersfield.

Me lord the case rests.

He has to be given time and his sort of player simple as that.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

NICKYKISS wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:51 pm
Southern Softy wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:30 am Powell does seem to 'fall out' with players on a regular basis doesn't he?

Just saw all the Wires props stats in the Warrington Guardian before coming on here and was interested to see Cooper had given the least penalties away of any of their props with just 3 in 12 games. I think it was Philbin top with 8 and Bullock next with 6.
Have you seen the full OPTA. Stats for the final?