Powell pens new deal

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Powell pens new deal

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Barney841 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:49 pm
southportcdm wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:16 am I'm a fan of O' Neill and feel that he has the potential to become our first choice 9 in time but even I wouldn't claim that he's better than Powell overall at this stage. Brad did a good job whilst Sam was banned. Although he didn't look like a world beater (how may do at 19?) I think he actually deserves lots of credit for just not messing up under a great deal of pressure. He played in a cup final winning team after starting very few first team games. Surely the best way for a young hooker to develop is to alternate with an experienced player and this also reduces the wear and tear and the more experienced bloke. I'm sure the plan is to give Brad plenty of game time as the season progresses and. if this is the case, I'm happy that re-singing Sam was a sensible decision. If Brad has his head screwed on he shouldn't be looking looking for another club at 19 simply because Sam has been given another two years.
I would go along with that but with past experiences with peet has shown that we play with a subs bench full of forwards, no back or hooker. And O’Neil hasn’t had a look in unless powell has been injured or banned
Tommy was on the bench in the cup final.
boggart

Post by boggart »

Sad the way Wigan fans take against certain players. Unjustifiably in my opinion. Powell and Partington currently, and Danny Tickle one from a while ago. All good players, but no matter how well they play, still the same criticism. Bibby and Isa as well, now I think about it. All this vitriol and mean-spiritedness says more to me about the inadequacy of those commenting than the players. In language they might understand, just shut the f**k up....if you wouldn't mind, obviously and support the team.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Whilst not thrilled with the announcement, because I would like to see an attacking hooker for once, it was very much expected.

I am sure most will agree that Powell is fantastic in defence and is very well thought of at the club for his experience, leadership and way he condones himself at training etc.

I am sure we would all agree that he is very limited in attack and I think this is where most people have the gripe. Attacking qualities are often a lot more easier on the eye, easier to notice and easier to therefore point the finger.

O Neil is still young, he did well standing in for Powell, but let's be honest his attacking abilities did look a bit better, but by no means was it a marked improvement. Whether this is down to O Neil himself or the team strategy, I guess we won't find out for a while.

The Powell re-signing also doesn't factor in salary cap, his wages and the cost to sign an improved hooker.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

boggart wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:30 pm Sad the way Wigan fans take against certain players. Unjustifiably in my opinion. Powell and Partington currently, and Danny Tickle one from a while ago. All good players, but no matter how well they play, still the same criticism. Bibby and Isa as well, now I think about it. All this vitriol and mean-spiritedness says more to me about the inadequacy of those commenting than the players. In language they might understand, just shut the f**k up....if you wouldn't mind, obviously and support the team.
Some people really need to get a grip on here.
This is a FORUM for OPINIONS.
And for now someone to say something about peoples character who make comments on this FORUM is just unbelievable.
I’ll say this again if you don’t like what peoples opinions(which is all they are) are you shouldn’t be in FAN FORUM
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I think we would be better off if we set up a Powell sub forum, so that we can focus on the 99% of things that we prefer to write about. I think Nathan rugby probably has it about right - pretty much everyone agrees he is a good tackler, but limited in offence and then we have 2 evenly divided camps about what to conclude from that.

I think it could have been a lot worse - it’s only 2 years and we may even plan to use the time so O’Neill takes over at the end of it. If it pans out like that, I could live with it.

Set against the wonder that is Matty Peet, our attack this year, our back 3, winning the Cup, going toe to toe with and beating Saints, re-signing Havard and Field, Powell is a single cloud on a sunny day.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

boggart wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:30 pm Sad the way Wigan fans take against certain players. Unjustifiably in my opinion. Powell and Partington currently, and Danny Tickle one from a while ago. All good players, but no matter how well they play, still the same criticism. Bibby and Isa as well, now I think about it. All this vitriol and mean-spiritedness says more to me about the inadequacy of those commenting than the players. In language they might understand, just shut the f**k up....if you wouldn't mind, obviously and support the team.
It's not vitriol, it's an opinion which some of us back up by pointing out why we don't rate a particular player and why we do rate others.

If you want an example of vitriol and mean-spiritedness, read your own post back while looking in the mirror.