Wigan vs Saints match thread

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Re: Wigan squad for Saints

Post by morley pie eater »

Mike wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:33 pm
Suzieb wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:16 pm Sam Tomkins Blake Green George Williams all right footers end of discusion
Which discussion?
The one that just came to an abrupt end. I guess it's like Mrs Morley - when she gets to the "Oh shurrup!" stage, I know she's lost :lol:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Nathan's above
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Mike wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:33 pm
Suzieb wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:16 pm Sam Tomkins Blake Green George Williams all right footers end of discusion
Which discussion?
The one in her husbands head
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Coaches don't tend to make wholesale changes after a big defeat, they often look to the players involved previously to come up with a reaction. There are definitely potential issues raised by how easily Catalans tore us apart.

The biggest issue is the right edge defence. King, Field and Nsemba all got caught out and that's concerning given the problems we had down that side early in the year. King will most likely keep his place as he's shown he can respond well but his performances have taken a bit of a dip recently whereas Wardle has been on the up. Maybe Thornley will be putting some pressure on him soon.

Can Field defend in the line or is he too much of a weak link? Before he'd played there for us I assumed he would struggle. However, every time he played there up until last weekend he'd looked fairly comfortable. Was last week the moment he got 'found out' or was it a difficult first game back? Our other options at stand off aren't massively convincing either. Cust struggled early in the season, though why we didn't just try moving him back to the left I don't know. Hampshire did okay but also got caught out a few times. It's depressing that on balance Joe Shorrocks has been our best 6 so far this year.

There's always the possibility of Field and French performing the hybrid 1/6 role that I think was discussed earlier in the year. Field is a little bit better defending at fullback due to his rapid pace and French really likes coming into the defensive line and looks fairly strong in the tackle. Is either really suited to playing like a half? I'm not sure but I think moving Field back to 1 and French onto the wing is going backwards to something most people seemed to agree wasn't really working at the start of the season.

Smithies hasn't really been as noticeable since moving to the right edge second row. I was a fan of Peet making the move initially but it doesn't get the best out of Smithies. While I'm a firm believer that Shorrocks is better at 13, when our pack is depleted a lightweight forward down the middle doesn't always help. Maybe Smithies back at loose and Shorrocks to right side second row is an option, given how well Shorrocks played on that edge while on loan at Leigh. He's unlikely to be much of an attacking threat as he can't play as a pivot, but we've got Nsemba on the bench who is more attack minded but less defensively sound.

I can't see wholesale changes being made but perhaps some minor tweaks. The reaction of fans is usually that we have to change the whole right edge as so many players looked badly exposed but too many changes means some unfamiliarity between players and that's an issue itself.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

If he leaves king on that right edge it could backfire on the coach
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Powell and King dropped!
Blackpool_Pie

Wigan vs Saints match thread

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Powell and King dropped

Field
Miski
Thornley
Wardle
Marshall

French
Smith

Ellis
O Neil
Byrne
Shorrocks
Farrell
Smithies

Cust Singleton Mago Hill

King 18th man

Disappointed no Nsemba
EagleEyePie

Re: Wigan vs Saints match thread

Post by EagleEyePie »

Powell being dropped is a surprise, but not an unwelcome one. I mentioned in the other thread about potential areas for changes and mentioned Field/French switching and playing dual roles and Shorrocks moving to the right edge, so I'm happy with the side and think it's the best we can do.

It's a bold call to change the entire right edge except for Miski. The question is whether it fixes our area of weakness or their lack of familiarity playing alongside each other leads to a bit of rustiness. Matt Peet hasn't got too many things wrong though.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Good effort the coach has to try something
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I'm surprised too. Bold decisions by MP.