Kris Radlinski

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pedro

Re: Kris Radlinski

Post by pedro »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:50 pm I think a lot of the resentment with Radders is he doesnt come across that well sometimes, he seems overly confident that he is right and the supporters are wrong on some issues and im not sure how to take anyone serious who described Mitch Clarke as the most destructive forward in Super league despite being unable to get into the Cas team at the time.

Ive gone back and looked on Wiki around the signings in the last 10 years now i could go further but i think its important to understand where we are and too far back distorts the view. In this time like it or not Rads would have been heavily involved in signings you cant blame everything on him but equally you cant absolve him, this being a major part of his role.

Ive avoided signings made for this season as its not been a full season yet so feels unfair

Firstly lets come to the thing i think most people would attribute to Rads from the way he talks about Wigan etc and thats the "re-signings" - so taking back players who have left there are 9 in total in this period and it makes up over a 1/4 of the signings in this time;

Joel Tomkins - had failed at Rugby Union, not sure many were keen on his return
Sam Tomkins - Signed injured after failing to make an impact but i would say most welcomed it
Joe Burgess - Failed to hold down his NRL gig wasnt the same player on return
Tommy Leuluai - Well over the hill and was brought with a coaching role attached
Dan Sarginson - Failed in the NRL wasnt really wanted by many on here as i remember
John Bateman - Generally welcome though we knew he wasnt the same player
Liam Forsyth - This is may be wrong on but i think he was part of the youth setup before crossing codes - then being brought back but never really made it
Lee Mossop - Had biscuit shoulders that only got worse as he failed to make an impact in the NRL
Iain Thornley - terrible idea

On the whole there isnt a single player in that list who went on to come close to the player they were prior to leaving Wigan - this was a systematic theme of re-signing players who failed to make it elsewhere - JB the exception as he killed it in the NRL but had large injury concerns surrounding him still i believe it was the right choice at the time to go in for him

Then the other signings ill start with the ones i think generated hype/excitement or proved to be a good buy either way

Joe Greenwood - I think people were excited about his signing he looked good before NRL
 Zak Hardaker - It divided opinion but regardless of thoughts on him he was and is a very good player but we only got him because no-one else really wanted him at the top
  Jackson Hastings - Was the top player in superleague so a good capture
 Bevan French - Although Lam is credited widely for his arrival either way brillaint signing
 Kai Pearce-Paul - Most people in the know knew his potential and he's proved that way
 Brad Singleton - I think most people welcomed the signing a solid pro
 Jai Field - See Bevan French
 Abbas Miski - although not a welcome signing i think he's proved a decent buy overall
 Willie Isa - served us well IMO
Mike Cooper - Lucked into him but a good signing

then theres the others - some may seem harsh but i dont think any of the below signings have been successful

George Burgess - People were excited but obviously very little in the way of medical checks were done and that is on the club
Taulima Tautai - never wigan standard
Larne Patrick - see above
Morgan Escare - signed played well then bumped into obscurity by an injured tomkins
Romain Navarrete - never wigan standard
Gabriel Hamlin - too small
Chris Hankinson - signed but club seemed to not want to play him even when we had no centres
Joe Bullock - overall poor
Jarrod Sammut - yes..........what?
Jake Bibby - average
Mitch Clark - terrible signing
Kaide Ellis - i put him here as he's yet to prove to me hes a good player
Patrick Mago - fitness is terrible and that should been picked up
Cade Cust - probably harsh
Ramon Silva - who?

So really out of 37 signings only 10 have proved to be decent and when you consider at least 2 of those were by chance thats nearly a 25% success rate in signings

If anyone in their job was hitting such a low bar i would expect questions to be asked personally

if you go back another 4 to when he started there are a few more

Bateman (first time)
Lima
Hoffman
Finch
Deacon
Matty Smith
Gelling
Flower
Green
Taylor
Bowen
Clubb
FPN

you missed all them who played a role in gaining us silverware
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

craigo wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:17 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:58 pm
Wes wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:36 pm Is it a Rads thing or an IL thing?

Next seasons signings look and feel like a change in calibre and direction and I’m sure there’s a couple more to come.

Maybe under Danson Rads will operate differently as per owner instruction🤷
Is it really any different to normal?

That’s not to say I’m not excited but it feels more of the same?
Signings really feel like a proper statement of intent. Long term deals. And getting current players tied down. Even new kit sorted out now.
I just need Morgan Smithies to be given a rest of your career contract then I am totally happy !. Future is very bright for Wigan.
There’s a 2, 3, 3, 4 year deal out of the 4 new players so it’s a complete mixed bag.

I’m excited but I don’t personally feel like it’s any different to previous seasons.

Last season everyone was excited at having two centres.

Year before everyone was happy with two props (Ellis and Mago) + Cust

Squad looks marginally stronger with more room to grow in the future, especially Chan and Walters, but the real determinant of our success in next few years will be:
- Getting an experienced prop and 2nd row
- making the right decision on who plays 6
- Smith getting better, regularly bringing out the performances that we’ve seen in some games
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

pedro wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:42 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:50 pm I think a lot of the resentment with Radders is he doesnt come across that well sometimes, he seems overly confident that he is right and the supporters are wrong on some issues and im not sure how to take anyone serious who described Mitch Clarke as the most destructive forward in Super league despite being unable to get into the Cas team at the time.

Ive gone back and looked on Wiki around the signings in the last 10 years now i could go further but i think its important to understand where we are and too far back distorts the view. In this time like it or not Rads would have been heavily involved in signings you cant blame everything on him but equally you cant absolve him, this being a major part of his role.

Ive avoided signings made for this season as its not been a full season yet so feels unfair

Firstly lets come to the thing i think most people would attribute to Rads from the way he talks about Wigan etc and thats the "re-signings" - so taking back players who have left there are 9 in total in this period and it makes up over a 1/4 of the signings in this time;

Joel Tomkins - had failed at Rugby Union, not sure many were keen on his return
Sam Tomkins - Signed injured after failing to make an impact but i would say most welcomed it
Joe Burgess - Failed to hold down his NRL gig wasnt the same player on return
Tommy Leuluai - Well over the hill and was brought with a coaching role attached
Dan Sarginson - Failed in the NRL wasnt really wanted by many on here as i remember
John Bateman - Generally welcome though we knew he wasnt the same player
Liam Forsyth - This is may be wrong on but i think he was part of the youth setup before crossing codes - then being brought back but never really made it
Lee Mossop - Had biscuit shoulders that only got worse as he failed to make an impact in the NRL
Iain Thornley - terrible idea

On the whole there isnt a single player in that list who went on to come close to the player they were prior to leaving Wigan - this was a systematic theme of re-signing players who failed to make it elsewhere - JB the exception as he killed it in the NRL but had large injury concerns surrounding him still i believe it was the right choice at the time to go in for him

Then the other signings ill start with the ones i think generated hype/excitement or proved to be a good buy either way

Joe Greenwood - I think people were excited about his signing he looked good before NRL
 Zak Hardaker - It divided opinion but regardless of thoughts on him he was and is a very good player but we only got him because no-one else really wanted him at the top
  Jackson Hastings - Was the top player in superleague so a good capture
 Bevan French - Although Lam is credited widely for his arrival either way brillaint signing
 Kai Pearce-Paul - Most people in the know knew his potential and he's proved that way
 Brad Singleton - I think most people welcomed the signing a solid pro
 Jai Field - See Bevan French
 Abbas Miski - although not a welcome signing i think he's proved a decent buy overall
 Willie Isa - served us well IMO
Mike Cooper - Lucked into him but a good signing

then theres the others - some may seem harsh but i dont think any of the below signings have been successful

George Burgess - People were excited but obviously very little in the way of medical checks were done and that is on the club
Taulima Tautai - never wigan standard
Larne Patrick - see above
Morgan Escare - signed played well then bumped into obscurity by an injured tomkins
Romain Navarrete - never wigan standard
Gabriel Hamlin - too small
Chris Hankinson - signed but club seemed to not want to play him even when we had no centres
Joe Bullock - overall poor
Jarrod Sammut - yes..........what?
Jake Bibby - average
Mitch Clark - terrible signing
Kaide Ellis - i put him here as he's yet to prove to me hes a good player
Patrick Mago - fitness is terrible and that should been picked up
Cade Cust - probably harsh
Ramon Silva - who?

So really out of 37 signings only 10 have proved to be decent and when you consider at least 2 of those were by chance thats nearly a 25% success rate in signings

If anyone in their job was hitting such a low bar i would expect questions to be asked personally

if you go back another 4 to when he started there are a few more

Bateman (first time)
Lima
Hoffman
Finch
Deacon
Matty Smith
Gelling
Flower
Green
Taylor
Bowen
Clubb
FPN

As well as this there some looking at hindsight.

I'd disagree with

Larne Patrick he went well.
Tautai was a main player until he broke law
Gabriel Hamlin went really well, there was post about him being refreshing because he drove forward in tackles, his failure can be put down to KR. He did drugs and got caught.
Morgan Escare went well for us he was obviously not.staying long term when tomkins game back.

I also find it interesting that Hardaker is a success? With the way he left surely he's on the failure list.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:08 am
I also find it interesting that Hardaker is a success? With the way he left surely he's on the failure list.
He’s a failure to me! I always liked him as a player & admired the club for taking a chance on him & exorcising his demons.

But!! He s7at on us, not once but several times during his time here & I cannot forgive him for that & then the straw that really broke the camels back was the excuse as to why he left "the travelling from Pontefract", but it’s easier to travel a few miles less to Leigh??
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:08 am if you go back another 4 to when he started there are a few more

Bateman (first time)
Lima
Hoffman
Finch
Deacon
Matty Smith
Gelling
Flower
Green
Taylor
Bowen
Clubb
FPN

I did stipulate to limiting the reach backwards because you get too far away from the here and now - again i come back to a work place if you were performing overall poorly for the last 10 years do you think the argument of "yes but before that i was spot on for 4" would cut it?

pedro wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:42 pm As well as this there some looking at hindsight.

I'd disagree with

Larne Patrick he went well.
Tautai was a main player until he broke law
Gabriel Hamlin went really well, there was post about him being refreshing because he drove forward in tackles, his failure can be put down to KR. He did drugs and got caught.
Morgan Escare went well for us he was obviously not.staying long term when tomkins game back.

Larne Patrick was probably a bit harsh but i didnt think he did anything of note for the club in fact until i did this i forgot he even played for us

Tautai being a main player is a stretch, he was very error prone and this extract from his Wiki was the year before his convivtion
In 2018, he played over 20 matches for the season, but was not selected in the finals series, and was not a part of the 2018 Super League Grand Final final winning side.

Gabe Hamlin i would say maybe had an initially good couple of games but he was smaller than Gildart i remember a social media post of them stood next to eachother and was never in my opinion what we needed

Escare i agree was very good for a short time maybe that one was too harsh but even if you take all of these and stick them in the positives he still wouldnt clear a 50% success rate

Hardaker could of gone in either but in my opinion the idea of signing him was correct - it didnt pan out but i did try and look at what i felt at the time was the right or good signing but making note of the ones that proved to be good even though they didnt seem it like Miski
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Yes Saints have done brilliantly!

Ryan Morgan, Travis Burns, Luke Douglas Dom Peyroux, Jack Owens, Tommy Lee, Mark Flanagan, Atelia Vea,Jordan Turner, Dan Norman, Stuart Howarth, Will Hopoate erc.
josie andrews

Re: Kris Radlinsk

Post by josie andrews »

No straw damn us wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:56 am Yes Saints have done brilliantly!

Ryan Morgan, Travis Burns, Luke Douglas Dom Peyroux, Jack Owens, Tommy Lee, Mark Flanagan, Atelia Vea,Jordan Turner, Dan Norman, Stuart Howarth, Will Hopoate erc.
Yes we forget that other teams can make the same signing mistakes with players 😊
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

What ill never understand how clubs like Wakefield/Salford/Hull KR will consistently end up landing a top player year on year - granted its normally just the one but still nearly every year you will see one of those clubs sign someone you think, how??!
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:45 pm What ill never understand how clubs like Wakefield/Salford/Hull KR will consistently end up landing a top player year on year - granted its normally just the one but still nearly every year you will see one of those clubs sign someone you think, how??!
This also is an anomaly 🤔🤔
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:45 pm What ill never understand how clubs like Wakefield/Salford/Hull KR will consistently end up landing a top player year on year - granted its normally just the one but still nearly every year you will see one of those clubs sign someone you think, how??!
It can only be one of 3 things:

1 - salary
2 - timing
3 - connection with the coach
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."