wigan warriors up for sale

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
DaveO

Re: wigan warriors up for ...

Post by DaveO »

Markus35 posted:
'I'm more pessimistic about Wigan Athletic's future than you are. Even if they survive this time round, I feel the 2006-2007 season has proved that running a Premiership club is overall too complex and expensive a mission for those in power at the JJB. Considering the fanfare given to the club when they first got promoted to the top rank, I didn't expect them to be hanging on by their fingernails at the end of only their second season. It doesn't bode well'

If they win on Sunday,the financial implications will mean they will have an advantage over clubs in the championship for years to come.

The figures are mindboggling.

From next year you receive 30 million pound for finishing bottom of the premier league and a million more for every place higher,plus 200,000 every time one of your games features on sky

Plus if you get relagated you receive 25 million pound parachute payments for 2 years.

Compared to the two million salary cap in rugby league and the TV money on offer in the sport,its little wonder were Dave's attention lies.
If they get relegated this season, none of that applies so you had better hope they survive or it will be nigh on impossible to get back up.

If they stay up the fact they get all that dosh makes them no better off than other Premiership sides. Their relative financial standing to the other clubs will still be the same.

So if Chelski are £100 million better off than Latics this season they still will be next season despite what money Latics will get because Chelski will get the same or even more due to being on TV more (I assume) and come the end of the season finishing higher up the league.

As to the amount of cash itself that is also relative to the expense of playing in that league. To compete you need to be shelling out £25m for top class players, £15m for good ones and £10m for average!

That income you talk about does not go far when that sort of expense is required to retain your place in the competition.

So I would say DW's is going to be a worried man in one sense of latics stay up. He will be worried how he can compete with Chelski and the others.

I mean didn't DW call for a salary cap to be introduced in soccer? I think so and its because he can't compete with the big clubs on wages.

The extra money won't make any difference because all clubs get it and without a salary cap and with that sort of influx of cash it will be mostly heading one way - into the pockets of players (and their agents).

Dave
Markus35

Post by Markus35 »

'But how long is Dave going to be around for? He already spends half the season away. He must be thinking about retirement now, and if Latics drop this time, then it might be some kind of catalyst. I find it difficult to imagine him psyching himself up for another huge, financially and emotionally draining assault on the Premiership. '

I honestly think,Dave thrives off the attention Latics give him.He is in the papers,on the TV and Dave loves it.

He is a football man,and doesnt seem the type to ever retire to me.

Maybe the natural progression for both clubs is the sale of the Warriors and maybe the new owner will beable to devote the time/attention to the job,Warriors fans want to see.

Perhaps a new stadium,that is more suited to Rugby,on the outskirts of town may be a good idea as well.
Markus35

Post by Markus35 »

'So if Chelski are £100 million better off than Latics this season they still will be next season despite what money Latics will get because Chelski will get the same or even more due to being on TV more (I assume) and come the end of the season finishing higher up the league'

Income wise,i dont think the plan is ever to cpmpete with the big four.The Latics plan is to model themselves on Bolton/Blackburn.

Their is money to be made in the prem,Dave And Brenda have said they cant believe how much.

Latics owe Dave,9 million,if they win on Sunday that debt is wiped out.

Anyways,hers hoping for a Wigan double this weekend! :)
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

Markus35 posted:
'But how long is Dave going to be around for? He already spends half the season away. He must be thinking about retirement now, and if Latics drop this time, then it might be some kind of catalyst. I find it difficult to imagine him psyching himself up for another huge, financially and emotionally draining assault on the Premiership. '

I honestly think,Dave thrives off the attention Latics give him.He is in the papers,on the TV and Dave loves it.

He is a football man,and doesnt seem the type to ever retire to me.

Maybe the natural progression for both clubs is the sale of the Warriors and maybe the new owner will beable to devote the time/attention to the job,Warriors fans want to see.

Perhaps a new stadium,that is more suited to Rugby,on the outskirts of town may be a good idea as well.
You smoking crack?

You think Wigan Council would agree to another stadium, when the one they've currently got is only used half the year, and even then is only half-full?

Even if Latics stay up, their attendances are nowhere near good enough to justify building another stadium a couple of miles away. And if they drop, and they're back to crowds of 7,000, it's more likely that they'll be the ones asked to move.

In reality of course, they wouldn't be. But the whole ethos of the JJB Stadium was to provide a home for the town's two main sports clubs. That was the reason Wigan Council signed off on it in the first place. It's a myth that's been propogated endlessly by Latics fans that actually it's their ground and that we're mere tenants. It's no more their ground than ours, and with their very disappointing crowds during two years in the Premiership, they've no more staked a claim to it than we have. You could argue that they've had their chance and basically blown it, though as I say, they won't be shown the door even if they get relegated.

As for new owners of Wigan RL wanting to find their own ground: for the reasons stated above I feel that's highly unlikely. Add to that the fact that a search for new home would mean another period of upheaval, during which crowds might dwindle, players get unsettled, etc - the club would be put on the back-foot again. They might not like it, but out of necessity I feel they'd have no choice but to continue paying rent at the JJB.

I must admit, I like your throwaway comment at the end - "a stadium more suited to Rugby". Presumably you mean one that's a lot smaller? I love being patronised by supporters of a club who can't even fill their ground for epic, do-or-die matches like the one last week against West Ham.
Markus35

Post by Markus35 »

'I must admit, I like your throwaway comment at the end - "a stadium more suited to Rugby". Presumably you mean one that's a lot smaller? I love being patronised by supporters of a club who can't even fill their ground for epic, do-or-die matches like the one last week against West Ham. '

Dont be paranoid cruncher!

I just feel the JJB is designed to watch football,a stadium like the Halliwell Jones is far better suited to watching RL.If your sat low down in any the stands,the game to me seems too far away.

Just a personal opinion.

As for the crowds they averaged 12,000 the last time we were in the Championship,so why would they go to 7000 next year?!

The RL base in Wigan as no need to feel threatened by Latics growing success,as many seem to be.

At the JJB at the moment Latics merchandise outsells Warriors merchandise 5-1.The town is full of kids and adults walking around in Latics replica kits etc.
Rugby will always have a following in Wigan though,even though in the future i fear it may be merged with Union to form some sort of hybrid game.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Markus35 posted:
Income wise,i dont think the plan is ever to cpmpete with the big four.The Latics plan is to model themselves on Bolton/Blackburn.

Their is money to be made in the prem,Dave And Brenda have said they cant believe how much.
It is the same for all the clubs which was the point I was making. If only Latics were getting that increased income you mentioned then that would be a different matter.
Latics owe Dave,9 million,if they win on Sunday that debt is wiped out.
Which is 9m less to spend on players to compete if they pay him off.
Anyways,hers hoping for a Wigan double this weekend! :)
I hope latics don't go down but I think you have a bit of a selective view of reality as concerns both Latics and Wigan RL.

Dave
Markus35

Post by Markus35 »

'I hope latics don't go down but I think you have a bit of a selective view of reality as concerns both Latics and Wigan RL.

Dave'

Matter of opinion i guess.

Anyway,youve done your part of the 'Wigan double',lets hope the Latics do it this afternoon.
Markus35

Post by Markus35 »

Just a quick note,on a grest double for the town,this weekend.

3200 Latics fan delirious at Brammall Lane.

It may not last forever but a fine sight to see!
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

just like 3,200 wigan warriors fans delighted at Headingley.

I am not a fan of this Latics outsells Warriors/ JJJB is a football stadium etc... what a load of rubbish.

The JJB is a sports stadium - simple. You can see the pitch from every seat so whats the problem? what is a rugby stadium 'meant' to look like? Wilderspool?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Markus35 posted:
'I must admit, I like your throwaway comment at the end - "a stadium more suited to Rugby". Presumably you mean one that's a lot smaller? I love being patronised by supporters of a club who can't even fill their ground for epic, do-or-die matches like the one last week against West Ham. '

Dont be paranoid cruncher!

I just feel the JJB is designed to watch football,a stadium like the Halliwell Jones is far better suited to watching RL.If your sat low down in any the stands,the game to me seems too far away.

Just a personal opinion.

As for the crowds they averaged 12,000 the last time we were in the Championship,so why would they go to 7000 next year?!

The RL base in Wigan as no need to feel threatened by Latics growing success,as many seem to be.

At the JJB at the moment Latics merchandise outsells Warriors merchandise 5-1.The town is full of kids and adults walking around in Latics replica kits etc.
Rugby will always have a following in Wigan though,even though in the future i fear it may be merged with Union to form some sort of hybrid game.
And you can prove it I suppose :conf: Sounds like guess work to me