Referee For Saturday Is.....

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
robjoenz

Re: Referee For Saturday I...

Post by robjoenz »

stevocod posted:
robjoenz posted:

It is. Especially between the full time referees, they meet and discuss aspects of their game and aspects of the game in general.
Well this doesn't bring about an understanding within, that all of them agree to clamp down on specific things, they still penalise their own pet hates.
Give some examples... I think consistency has really improved in the last 10 rounds or so.
I think sport in general is about simplyfing things as best as possible and in tackling i think one should go low and tackle ankles and if it's a big man then one round the ball to prevent the offload too.
It's not simple at all really, that's why some sides are good at it and some sides are poor. I don't know if you saw the NRL match this morning. A player went in low to tackle a charging player, he got a knee in the head from Andrew Ryan for his troubles. What it needed was a player to go high first to slow Ryan down before going low.

Also, when it comes to stabilising the tackle and putting the ball carrier into a difficult position, there is an art to it. Ideally, you want the tackled player to be on his back facing the wrong way, Wigan rarely get the tackled player in this position.
Although in terms of defensive alignment St. Helens and Leeds do tend to be borderline offside at the play of the ball and constantly get away with it. Maybe they are good at it, but still it shouldn't happen.
They're no different to any other side, the difference is that as soon as the ball is played they're off the mark as a unit moving up on the ball carrier. If Wigan moved up fast there'd be a jagged line with massive gaps in it to run at.