GANSON A JOKE

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: GANSON A JOKE

Post by cpwigan »

Thats the bottom line. The Aussies used to go to France and the referees would simply blow penalty after penalty in favour of the French. The Aussies still won. Much closer, much harder BUT they won.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan posted:
Rob he was useless. He cannot referee. He did not lose us the match BUT he was poor. Grapple tackles, high shots, lying on, poor 10 yards. Some odd penalties.

I have not watched it again and it is not Gansons call BUT the try when Goulding lost the ball? was that not ripped out of his hands and forward by a Cats player? Therefore knock on?

Wigan lost the game due to their ineptitude. Anybody who says otherwise is silly. Likewise, anybody who thinks Ganson had a good game is silly.
The only criticism I can give him is for a few flops from Catalans whilst Jones was off in the bin. He let one go, penalised the next and then let a couple more go.

You're obsessed with high tackles that don't exist. Arms very often end up near the head, especially as the player falls to the ground and the tacklers are upright. There is no point in penalising every time an arm brushes past the back of someones head. You'd be the first to complain about nothing penalties spoiling the flow.

Name the odd penalties? The last time Wigan had Ganson I remember saying that he'd given a few penalties that had baffled me. Today though, each and every one was valid. The Calerwood shove looks nothing on TV but in real time I called it before he gave it, definatly interfered. Good call.

As GeoffN said, Jones ripped the ball 1 on 1 before the tackle was complete, knocked the ball back again and his team-mate collected and grounded it.

I also thought he managed the 10s well, he went back 12 and walked forwards 2, got all the players back. There weren't many ocassions were the defensive line was offside today.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Casey McGuire took Hock around the neck with the line begging. No action. I will watch the match again and itemise the grapples for you Rob.

I loathe referees who care more about players talking back to them than the welfare of the players.

How many time were Cats penalised in that first half for repeated high tackles? 3? And yet no warning for repeating the same offence. Odd I thought that was what the sin bin was for.

Ganson is no more a referee than I am a diplomat
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Matthew posted:
Come on CP - don't waste you time. Rob is a ref now - he isn't going to say anything against a ref unless the opinion has been rubber stamped by red hall.

ganson is always crap - he's a crap referee. But that is not to say what happened today was his fault. For once a stains fan was not needed to consign us to defeat we took care of that in the first 20 minutes
Just because you can't think of anything sensible to challenge my valid opinion doesn't mean CP can't :wink:

(Note my criticism of Ben Thaler's try call for Catalans and Ganson allowing a couple of flops for Catalans in the second half.)

You've probably noticed by now that I don't just blindly say referees have had good games, I always back up my opinions. I've changed a bit in the last couple of years, my understanding of the game has massively increased. I've also gained a more objective outlook, I've got rid of the cherry and white tinted spectacles most on here can't remove because they're so passionate about Wigan. My new passion is for having a well controlled, flowing game whre incidents are prevented from ocurring where possible.

Regardless of how today went you'd have said Ganson was crap, purely because you don't like him and then because Wigan lost (and you like to try and wind me up :wink: lol).
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan posted:
Casey McGuire took Hock around the neck with the line begging. No action. I will watch the match again and itemise the grapples for you Rob.

I loathe referees who care more about players talking back to them than the welfare of the players.

How many time were Cats penalised in that first half for repeated high tackles? 3? And yet no warning for repeating the same offence. Odd I thought that was what the sin bin was for.

Ganson is no more a referee than I am a diplomat
Don't recall a high shot on Hock near the line.

I think Catalans were penalised for a few but none of them were dangerous high hits. They were careless but were not dangerous. You only use the bin if you need to so why find a reason to bin a player for a problem that doesn't really exist?

In fact, as far as I can recall there were no high tackles or dangerous challenges today that put any players at any increased risk (to normal play). So if there is no danger there why make an issue of it? At no point today was player welfare an issue. Maybe if it was an under 10s game you'd have a point.

Also, name a point where Ganson lost control of the game today. A good referee maintains control of a game.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

He never had control of it Rob. He did his time honoured trick of being bone idle and not following play up and walking back to his imaginary next 10 yards. Hence, he cannot see anything that happens in and around the play of the ball and is totally dependent upon either his touch judges or the video referee.

RFL is the only sport where the referee moves in the opposite direction to the play. Until Cummings rectifies this short cut, officiating will never improve.

The sin bin is for repeating the same offence. Going high repeatedly near your own line to prevent tries is a professional foul. If you are denying tries by fould play it is simply not in the spirit of the game. Nor is time wasting. :wink:
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan posted:
He never had control of it Rob. He did his time honoured trick of being bone idle and not following play up and walking back to his imaginary next 10 yards. Hence, he cannot see anything that happens in and around the play of the ball and is totally dependent upon either his touch judges or the video referee.

RFL is the only sport where the referee moves in the opposite direction to the play. Until Cummings rectifies this short cut, officiating will never improve.
Name an example of how he had lost control of the game then?! You don't seem to realise that the match officials are there as a team, it's not just the referee out there, he relies on the other guys too.

I really don't see what your problem is, how would you suggest referees operate differently? Don't tell me you want them stood in the attacking line where they can't see the ball?
The sin bin is for repeating the same offence. Going high repeatedly near your own line to prevent tries is a professional foul. If you are denying tries by fould play it is simply not in the spirit of the game. Nor is time wasting. :wink:
The sin bin is for sorting out problems that arise. Les Catalans didn't repeatedly go high near their own line. There were a couple of careless tackles near to each other that were penalised and the problem went. Why use the bin if you don't need to? The fact that the problem sorted itself out is testament to the control Ganson had on the situation.

One thing you hate is referees spoiling a game so why make issues of separate innocuous challenges?

SCENARIO - Barrett is penalised for catching someone high. In the next set the player Lockers is tackling falls to the ground and Lockers hands end up grappling his head and a penalty is given. Then two sets later Bailey catches a player in the face as he falls into the tackle and is penalised. What would you do here? Sin bin Bailey? What you have is three innocuous challenges, not a problem. No problem so no sin bin IMO.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

You walk forward Rob, the same direction as the play is. You keep your eye on the tackle and then as you call held you run backwards. Run being the operative word. It takes players what on average from held being called to releasing the player? 3 to 5 seconds. Enough time to set the line 10 yards away. Hard work BUT hey these referees are full time and have their own physical conditioning expert.

I would also investigate where SL position themselves. I know NRL referees position themselves differently.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

And if you want an example of control lost. DV and Mogg fighting.
jammie

Post by jammie »

as soon as the defending players have got hold of an attacker he's off skipping back ten yards,he cannot see any one of the three players trying to steal the ball,giving out facials infact he cannot see anything until the defenders roll away,and is dependant on those useless idiots with flags i think they are called touch judges although i have forgotten exactly what is in there job discription,and think they just want to get into matches for free.
English by birth. Wigan by the grace of God.