Everyone watching RU?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
lucky 13

Re: Everyone watching RU?

Post by lucky 13 »

Welski posted:

So it's a Union driven media conspiracy to destroy RL? :lol:
Well its not been one on a positive front and if RL had been destroyed think a few RU people would be happy rather than sad
I have been a 'true' fan of both League and Union for 40 years over that time I've seen both sides doing their bit to undermine the other. Union perhaps more so but that's a moot point.
Says it all really
As I say we are now in the 21st century and what I currently see is two versions of a similar game competing with other sports for an audience.
You may see at as the same game
says it all again ''cuckoo''
Union seems to have its act together in terms of world audience, player remuneration, TV coverage, global advertising etc. League, with what I consider since the switch to summer to be the better version, riddled with administrative problems. If they sorted out the salary cap the farcical refereeing standards/appointments not to mention Sky's televised commentary bias towards St Helens etc then we might see League get the recognition it deserves.
Well the last section I agree with so not as cuckoo as I thought :blush: :eh: :)
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

In my first week at school (11 yrs old) I was asked to write out the positions for a Rugby team for PE homework. I did 1. Full back ..

Spent the next 5 years running round the pitch for every PE and games lesson and banned from playing in school teams - Cricket, football everything. 100% true no exaggeration.

First game of Rugby Union I ever played was against Sale U21's after I had a bet with Tony Ashton (Brian Ashtons son) that I could get into the Manchester University side because I knew how to offload in a tackle and had a half decent sidestep. I scored our only 2 tries and was still given a bol##cking for not kicking in my own 20 (or 22 whatever it is)
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

Welski

Post by Welski »

lucky 13 posted:
Welski posted:

So it's a Union driven media conspiracy to destroy RL? :lol:
Well its not been one on a positive front and if RL had been destroyed think a few RU people would be happy rather than sad
I have been a 'true' fan of both League and Union for 40 years over that time I've seen both sides doing their bit to undermine the other. Union perhaps more so but that's a moot point.
Says it all really
As I say we are now in the 21st century and what I currently see is two versions of a similar game competing with other sports for an audience.
You may see at as the same game
says it all again ''cuckoo''
Union seems to have its act together in terms of world audience, player remuneration, TV coverage, global advertising etc. League, with what I consider since the switch to summer to be the better version, riddled with administrative problems. If they sorted out the salary cap the farcical refereeing standards/appointments not to mention Sky's televised commentary bias towards St Helens etc then we might see League get the recognition it deserves.
Well the last section I agree with so not as cuckoo as I thought :blush: :eh: :)
Try reading the post again.

You seem to have trouble with a couple of definitions;

"Similar" does not equate to "same".

Moot point i.e. "open to discussion or debate; debatable; doubtful: a moot point"

Hope that helps.

Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
Welski

Post by Welski »

kick it int duggie posted:
Welski posted:

I'm sorry but the ban on rugby league in France during the war WAS suggested to the vichy/nazi govt by the French Rugby Union and they recieved all the seized assets of the fledgling French rugby league and guess how much was paid back, yes you got it. Forgive maybe, forget never.
Of course it was, I am not disputing the facts merely pointing out that Nazi regime of that time was perhaps not built upon the sanest of ideals. Lots of people did lots of things during that period that no sane person would dream of doing now.

If you cant forgive then that is of course up to you, but my point was, I find it a little hard to believe that people think it still has relevance today. After all we are talking about 'sport'; lots of people have much more important reasons to resent what happened back then but they have moved on.
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Welski posted:
kick it int duggie posted:
Welski posted:

I'm sorry but the ban on rugby league in France during the war WAS suggested to the vichy/nazi govt by the French Rugby Union and they recieved all the seized assets of the fledgling French rugby league and guess how much was paid back, yes you got it. Forgive maybe, forget never.
Of course it was, I am not disputing the facts merely pointing out that Nazi regime of that time was perhaps not built upon the sanest of ideals. Lots of people did lots of things during that period that no sane person would dream of doing now.
True. But that does not mean the injured parties are not due recompense.
If you cant forgive then that is of course up to you, but my point was, I find it a little hard to believe that people think it still has relevance today. After all we are talking about 'sport'; lots of people have much more important reasons to resent what happened back then but they have moved on.
Well it might have been 'sport' but then banning South Africa from 'sport' was not just 'sport' was it?

If it is a well known fact the French RU under the vichy govt. attacked the French RL then reparations should have been forthcoming. They have not.

Dave