very worrying only 140k left under the cap

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
gpartin

Re: very worrying only 140...

Post by gpartin »

NICKYKISS posted:
thomo posted:
Very much of topic but when was the last time the wigan academy produced a big young forward who was build like a tank?
Ricky Bibey

Neil Baynes :o :)
Fantastic examples of well toned battering rams ;)
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

thomo posted:
I think it is a double bluff as someone said earlier - tell everyone wigan has no money so any signings think there ia lack of cash and resources available and then wouldn't hold the club to ransom as they have in previous years.
That is very unlikeky IMO. If one minute IL is saying we only have cap space of £140K then announces even just one high profile signing he would have the press, the fans, the Cas chairman and everone else involved in RL saying we were deliberately breaking the cap once again as was said when we signed Fielden.

In any case it would also mean that you could not believe a word IL said and he would appear no different to Mo with the old smoke and mirrors statements.

I think we have to face up to the fact that 2008 is another right-off of a season as the squad still won't have any depth too it and we will be relying on good luck with injuries as the only way we can match this season let alone progress.

I see HKR have announced another NRL player being added to their side so on paper they look capable of wiping the floor with us while we speculate if we can get anyone in for £140K.

IL's straight talking might be a refreshing change but when HKR are doing that and we are being told the signing speculation has nothing behind it then I think IL's up-front information on this will do nothing for season ticket sales.

Dave
standishwarrior

Post by standishwarrior »

DaveO posted:
thomo posted:
I think it is a double bluff as someone said earlier - tell everyone wigan has no money so any signings think there ia lack of cash and resources available and then wouldn't hold the club to ransom as they have in previous years.
That is very unlikeky IMO. If one minute IL is saying we only have cap space of £140K then announces even just one high profile signing he would have the press, the fans, the Cas chairman and everone else involved in RL saying we were deliberately breaking the cap once again as was said when we signed Fielden.

In any case it would also mean that you could not believe a word IL said and he would appear no different to Mo with the old smoke and mirrors statements.

I think we have to face up to the fact that 2008 is another right-off of a season as the squad still won't have any depth too it and we will be relying on good luck with injuries as the only way we can match this season let alone progress.

I see HKR have announced another NRL player being added to their side so on paper they look capable of wiping the floor with us while we speculate if we can get anyone in for £140K.

IL's straight talking might be a refreshing change but when HKR are doing that and we are being told the signing speculation has nothing behind it then I think IL's up-front information on this will do nothing for season ticket sales.

Dave

what do you want him to do then? the guy cant win can he! would you sooner him lie to the fans just to get increased season ticket sales? imo he's done the right thing least people know what a mess wigan are in and he's trying to sort it out. if people dont want to renew there season tickets thats upto them.illbe getting mine along with the gf next week.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

standishwarrior posted:
what do you want him to do then? the guy cant win can he! would you sooner him lie to the fans just to get increased season ticket sales?
What do you mean "What do I want him to do?". I was making the observation that it is 1. highly unlikely he is not telling it like it is (in response to the suggestion he really has signings up his sleeve) and 2. saying the news we have little cap space left may harm season ticket sales.

Where is that slagging him off?

If I had said "IL was wrong to say that because it will harm season ticket sales" you might have had a point but I didn't.
imo he's done the right thing least people know what a mess wigan are in and he's trying to sort it out. if people dont want to renew there season tickets thats upto them.illbe getting mine along with the gf next week.
Good for you. I have already renewed mine but I can't see the current situation at the club regarding next years squad doing a lot for season ticket sales. Are you expecting the signing of Coley to have people queueing up?

Dave
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO posted:
I see HKR have announced another NRL player being added to their side so on paper they look capable of wiping the floor with us...
Dave
Again!

I take your point though.

I'm still hoping that the WEP is more accurate than usual in giving the Cooper rumour some more space.

Optimistic, as always!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

This is no double bluff.

The players deferred their payments because they were offered far far better contracts. So not only did we incur the cost of their salaries for the deferred months we then started to pay them even more. Those enhanced salaries have swallowed up a large amount of the money we presumed would be available.

DW and ML never told us the truth, they never told us that the credit note was spread over 4 years etc etc.

IL is being honest and upfront with fans. He rightly says that until 2009 his hands are tied. He has said players are VERY well paid at Wigan RLFC (Too well paid) and that he wants players who WANT to play for Wigan rather than come for a huge pay cheque.

The guy has told us far more in 24 hours than ML / DW did in a season.
Jimmy Birts

Post by Jimmy Birts »

cpwigan posted:

The guy has told us far more in 24 hours than ML / DW did in a season.
Exactly. A masterstroke by Leneghan to put the record straight, straight away. We KNOW where we stand and WHY we are in this position. Good of Leneghan to communicate this to the fans. No wonder Mo jumped ship before news broke that he had yet again, due to his financial mismanagement screwed yet another season up. I see DW on Wigan Today campaigning for Mo to get a Gong. Ha ha ha ha ha
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Both (DW/ML) were at a recent Latics match together too. The bottom line is both have a history of trying to buck the system and doing a runner before the poop hits the fan.

JJB Sports sold / new owners having to drastically overhaul the club. Ditto Wigan RLFC
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

cpwigan posted:

IL is being honest and upfront with fans. He rightly says that until 2009 his hands are tied. He has said players are VERY well paid at Wigan RLFC (Too well paid) and that he wants players who WANT to play for Wigan rather than come for a huge pay cheque.
Thats what i can't get my head around in the mess that Mo has left us with.

When he approaches a player that a fgew clubs are in for surely the guy was in a stronger barganing position straight away because of the club he had on his hands.

If player 'X' wanted say 100k from Wigan because he had been offered it at Hudds/Hull Kr then there is no way i would pay him that to play for us. A player should want to play for Wigan becuase it's a great honour not just for the money.

Any player worth his salt that we would want on board would accept 80k at Wigan over 100k at almost any other club and if they wouldn't then we don't want them.

Thats the way to bargain and thats the way IL will i reckon and thats why we will be back at the top of the tree before too long.

We need to put the pride back in the club.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

cpwigan posted:
Both (DW/ML) were at a recent Latics match together too. The bottom line is both have a history of trying to buck the system and doing a runner before the poop hits the fan.

JJB Sports sold / new owners having to drastically overhaul the club. Ditto Wigan RLFC
Exactly.

"I want our reputation and prestige, which has been damaged, to return to the high level it always was."

Indeed, yes!