Fans Forum - Status quo, No change

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
platt-warrior

Re: Fans Forum - Status quo, N...

Post by platt-warrior »

Has anybody else noticed now that CP has gone to work "thank goodness"how:
1 everybody else can contribute with reasonable posts.

2 the level of common sense has increased.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

weststand-rich wrote:Some of these things don't add up for me. How can we possibly be behind Saints for marketing/merchandise and income. Leeds perhaps, but Saints??? Saints average crowd is 5000+ per game less than us and they struggle to get their kit out in time for bl**dy christmas some years. They might generate additional income through their finals appearences, but I can't see their being millions difference.

RE Fekas weight. Ha Ha!! I stand vindicated. :o

IL is in a difficult position in these events because he's the interface between the fans, the coaching staff and the playing staff. For him to say the squad we have lacks quality and leadership and Barret is already disinterested is more than any other chairman would say. It would be impossible for him to reveal the precise reasons for poor squad performance and they must know. No team ever would to their fans - it's always kept in camp.

If IL genuinely wanted fan constructive fan input he should bin the forum and appoint a focus group of 10-12 fans that meet several times a year to discuss issues relating to club development.
Rich sadly the only answer IL could come up with is we have a very young squad (which is not true!) and the players are very quiet (which is true) and that they can change the makeup of those people and that changing the coaching personnel is a knee jerk reaction. By gradually adding players who are not quiet things will change. Richie Mathers claps his hands and encourages, I can talk/shout for England but that does not make us great Wigan RLFC players. In fact we are both garbage.

As far as they are concerned that is the problem and the need for some extra assistants. THEY NEVER PROVIDED ANSWERS BECAUSE THEY DO NOT KNOW THEM.

Some of their concepts are ludicrous. Enforcer props like Kelvin Skerrett (whilst fantastic and again your at that meeting and oh how does it hearten the Wigan fans to drop in memory lane like that) do not exist in the strict sense anymore because if they did they would not last 5 minutes. Jason Cayless is not an old style enforcer. Jamie Peacock is not an old style enforcer. Petro Cirnoceva and Steve Price are the modern great props and it is about having little self regard for your own safety, making 10 yards at acarry rather than 5, being the first person to take the ball up, chasing kicks hard.

Joe Lydon trying to say Melbourne have older players than Wigan to bring youngsters through frightened me. It was factually incorrect and denied the obvious answer. The key personnel are light years ahead of our Craig Bellamy is a galaxy ahead of Brian Noble as a coach. That is the KEY. That is why youngsters develop, progress faster. The senior players in that Melbourne team MEET THEIR RESPONSIBILITIES. All IL said is our senior players are not of sound mind. Fielden is not right in the head but he has a contract so tough. Feka was not right in the head. Great coaches get players mentally tuned.

Even the people representing the club was wrong. If your going to discuss players / coaching methods then you have the coach and captain and/or senior players their. They have a right of reply, they are better qualified than anybody else on that panel. Do you honestly think John Monie or Graham Lowe or for that matter a Daniel Anderson, a Tony Smith would have accepted that scenario. The only time the owner should commwent is if he/she has sacked/appointed a coach.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

The Eclipse wrote:Brian Noble chose the man of the match in the second semi final between Hull FC and Wakey and he chose Adam Dykes.

Anyone that is in touch with reality could see that Dykes was poor apart from 2 or 3 kicks, it was a disgraceful decision. Perhaps his obsession with Aussies showed through.
Or perhaps just another opportunity for people who think they know best to voice their opinion of Nobby.

I wonder in Noble could do your job, vice versa, I wonder if you could do Noble's.

Sorry, I don't mean to single you out with those comments, I think the same can be applied to 99.9% of people on this board. We are all (most of us anyway) in full time employment where our specific roles probably require varying degrees of skill, training and knowledge. Yet most posters on here also seem to think that they know the answer to all Nobby's, I.L's and the clubs failings, granted some profess to be more knowledgeable than others and certain posters word their posts in a way to give the impression that they know what is best for the club and it's staff. Yet, if they really are so knowledgeable, why are they all still in their chosen profession and not pursuing a career in Rugby League?

I'm off back to work now, after my lunch break. I'm going to carry on doing what has taken me nearly 10 years to learn and I'm going to leave the rugby matters to the people who have spent a heck of a lot longer, learning how to do their own jobs :wink:

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Sutty wrote:
The Eclipse wrote:Brian Noble chose the man of the match in the second semi final between Hull FC and Wakey and he chose Adam Dykes.

Anyone that is in touch with reality could see that Dykes was poor apart from 2 or 3 kicks, it was a disgraceful decision. Perhaps his obsession with Aussies showed through.
Or perhaps just another opportunity for people who think they know best to voice their opinion of Nobby.

I wonder in Noble could do your job, vice versa, I wonder if you could do Noble's.

Sorry, I don't mean to single you out with those comments, I think the same can be applied to 99.9% of people on this board. We are all (most of us anyway) in full time employment where our specific roles probably require varying degrees of skill, training and knowledge. Yet most posters on here also seem to think that they know the answer to all Nobby's, I.L's and the clubs failings, granted some profess to be more knowledgeable than others and certain posters word their posts in a way to give the impression that they know what is best for the club and it's staff. Yet, if they really are so knowledgeable, why are they all still in their chosen profession and not pursuing a career in Rugby League?

I'm off back to work now, after my lunch break. I'm going to carry on doing what has taken me nearly 10 years to learn and I'm going to leave the rugby matters to the people who have spent a heck of a lot longer, learning how to do their own jobs :wink:
If you needed a great surgeon and money was irrelevant would you go to the best country ffor that surgey or hop on a plane to Burkino Faso? The best place for coaching talent is Australia. British coaches are second rate.

By your analogy. IL, Hogan, Higgingbottom are in exactly the same situation. So why was it not Noble/Players answering question. Why does IL and co even make decisions?

I know nothing about car mechanics. When I have a problem I go to an expert to fix it. Despite knowing nothing about car mechanics I am able to discern between good and bad mechanics. Odd really that.
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

CP,

this intrigues me "All IL said is our senior players are not of sound mind. Fielden is not right in the head but he has a contract so tough. Feka was not right in the head. Great coaches get players mentally tuned."

What does that mean about Fielden and Feka????????
sheepdip

Post by sheepdip »

During the forum IL indicated that the club was under great financial constraints in regard to the salary cap and therefore not being able to tempt players to either return to the club or sign up for the first time. The situation is at present is that we are being outfoxed by the likes Hull KR for players signatures and that we do not have a turnover of over £4 million. IL stated that he was having to go and sign players on the cheap taking chances on players like Smith and Pryce, one with a dodgy past and the other with a long term injury. How the hell have we ended up like this! It looked to me as though he is having to rebuild a club that has been financially mismanaged and had its assets stripped by those who have run the club in the past. A rubbish sponsorship deal, poor income from merchandising, and virtually nothing from food and bar takings. I am all for the development of new facilities both for fans and for the selling of merchandise. This Hogan guy is going to have to work bloody hard to pull this lot round. What else can we do but trust Leneghan as without him we would be finished by now.
"A STRONG LEEDS IS GOOD FOR THE GAME" (Gratian, H 2006)
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

sheepdip wrote:During the forum IL indicated that the club was under great financial constraints in regard to the salary cap and therefore not being able to tempt players to either return to the club or sign up for the first time. The situation is at present is that we are being outfoxed by the likes Hull KR for players signatures and that we do not have a turnover of over £4 million. IL stated that he was having to go and sign players on the cheap taking chances on players like Smith and Pryce, one with a dodgy past and the other with a long term injury. How the hell have we ended up like this! It looked to me as though he is having to rebuild a club that has been financially mismanaged and had its assets stripped by those who have run the club in the past. A rubbish sponsorship deal, poor income from merchandising, and virtually nothing from food and bar takings. I am all for the development of new facilities both for fans and for the selling of merchandise. This Hogan guy is going to have to bloody work hard to pull this lot round. What else can we do but trust Leneghan as without him we would be finished by now.
For all it's supposed faults this club will always have people who want to own it. We are not beholding to any owner.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

cpwigan wrote:
TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:In short then the same old rhetoric and almost a stage managed performance ?

Assistants , seems to be the buzz word how about some quality number 1s
Yes and unfortunately it tends to be the middle age upwards fans who attend and would clap whatever was said and giggle in the right places.
Hoi cp i'm middle aged.Unfortunately distance and time stopped me from attending fans forum.The only way noble will walk is if the fans start to walk.But we being what it say's on the shirt(loyal)are true to form by attending even crap games.I can assure you i have not had much to applaude about this season.Just as pissed as you. :conf:
sheepdip

Post by sheepdip »

cpwigan wrote:
sheepdip wrote:During the forum IL indicated that the club was under great financial constraints in regard to the salary cap and therefore not being able to tempt players to either return to the club or sign up for the first time. The situation is at present is that we are being outfoxed by the likes Hull KR for players signatures and that we do not have a turnover of over £4 million. IL stated that he was having to go and sign players on the cheap taking chances on players like Smith and Pryce, one with a dodgy past and the other with a long term injury. How the hell have we ended up like this! It looked to me as though he is having to rebuild a club that has been financially mismanaged and had its assets stripped by those who have run the club in the past. A rubbish sponsorship deal, poor income from merchandising, and virtually nothing from food and bar takings. I am all for the development of new facilities both for fans and for the selling of merchandise. This Hogan guy is going to have to bloody work hard to pull this lot round. What else can we do but trust Leneghan as without him we would be finished by now.
For all it's supposed faults this club will always have people who want to own it. We are not beholding to any owner.
you run the club then you appear tho have all the answers
"A STRONG LEEDS IS GOOD FOR THE GAME" (Gratian, H 2006)
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

weststand-rich wrote:CP,

this intrigues me "All IL said is our senior players are not of sound mind. Fielden is not right in the head but he has a contract so tough. Feka was not right in the head. Great coaches get players mentally tuned."

What does that mean about Fielden and Feka????????
Rich IL was asked why Fielden played like he did for Bradford but not for Wigan. IL admitted Fielden for Wigan is not the player he was for Wigan and it was more mental than physical. When questioned about Feka he confirmed the club was not happy with his conditioning but felt unable to do anything whilst he was under great stress with his court case. Only after the court case has he been placed under any demands/requirements. Apparently Trent is not right in the head either this year compared tolast year and that is why they let him go. Farcical is it not.

If you actually ask people at Bradford thery will tell you bar v West Tigers, Fielden was on a downward spiral already. Feka's conditioning was an issue pre assault/court case. Trent, I personally think he is disillusioned with the clubs set up / the coach. He still does some good stuff / why was he picked as captain if they felt he was no longer of sound mind? Not sure any playmaker couyld play well when the system of play is so pathetic hence why the coach has to go. The pack is positioned too far apart from each other too early in sets, in the wrong parts of the field. That is why the hard yard plays are so awful. It is obvious who gets the ball, there are no options, no deception, no go forward and your playmakers gets heat when it comes to a kick downfield.

The mental state of a club personifies the coach. Wigan under Lowe reflected Lowe, Wigan under Monie reflected Monie, Wigan under Noble reflects Noble. Would Noble inspire you, enthuse you? Phil Vievers?