Have we judged Mathers too early?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan Watcher

Re: Have we judged Mathers too...

Post by Wigan Watcher »

God wrote:I dont know why Mathers has had a massive dip in form, not many Super League players are touted by NRL clubs IMO only the best players do.

I rated Mathers very highly and when every man and his dog in Wigan was buzzing over the possibility of signing Brett Hodgson i just sighed.
In the long term we have a fullback that can only get better because lets face it he couldent have got any worse. And Shuddersfield have now signed Hodgson because nobody else wanted to match his wages. Mathers has never been a defensive fullback in the same mould as Ashton,Webb, Hunt et all who on there day have howlers in defense. But because Mathers has had a few that were high profile in a team not playing well we have made him into a scape goat, everybody is looking for him to make a mistake and pounce.

Further more people dont like to be wrong about a player and stick to there guns regardless, there would be still critism refering to previous games scraping an excuse to justify there comments.

I remember Ashton at Bradford one year just watching the ball trickle into touch under his own posts as Morrisson was chasing a lost cause, only to just plonk a hand down for the try. Wigan fans screaming at Ashton just to flick it into touch for a good 15 seconds. But because people had said hes a quality player fans refused to condem him.

All i ask is give him another season, and if hes no good then its fair enough. But dont condem him as garbage or not good enough for Wigan after 1 season with no real pre-season under his belt.
I think you make a fair comment that he may get better and Im always willing to give a player another chance but my real gut feeling is boy do we have big problems with him next season.

Time will tell!