Pat Richards

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Pat Richards

Post by DaveO »

Sutty wrote:
the winky one wrote:do you know what DaveO i agree, since the fans through the sale of tickets and other stuff are actually paying the players wages.. therefore they should be entitled to know what is going on
Does that mean that everyone who has phone and broadband with Talk Talk is entitled to know what's going on with my salary negotiations? Seeing as I'm employed by Talk Talk and it's, ultimately, our customers that pay my wages etc.
Why can't people understand the difference between being kept informed and knowing what players salaries are?

No one has ever suggested we have a right to know the latter but ever since IL has been here there have been several times when the press has been rife with major speculation and the club has remained dead silent when IMO a comment could have shut the speculation up in one go.

While I think none of us expect IL to quash or comment on every press rumour I am sure you can tell the difference between those situations that do not warrant that and those that are major issues that get out of hand to the extent they appear to even affect the form of the team.

It's about balance and "no comment" on everything is not the right balance IMO and annoys fans who pay good money to support the club financially. Mick Hogan's approach was much better here and even if all he said was "we casn't comment" the mere fact he bothered to say that at least acknowledged the fact the club had noted the fans concern. At the moment at times it can seem the club is aloof and doesn't give a monkeys if it upsets the fans or not.

It's basically a presentation issue and the club isn't very good at it IMO. It's not what you say, it's the way that you say it.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Maybe the words no comment keep IL honest, what good is it if he comes out with a statement on a situation that is not in his control only for the next week another press release saying the opposite has happened.

No comment is adjutating to hear as a fan however it is a business at the end of they day, his business and he can run it how he likes but IMO hes doing a good job.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

29wes28 wrote:Maybe the words no comment keep IL honest, what good is it if he comes out with a statement on a situation that is not in his control only for the next week another press release saying the opposite has happened.

No comment is adjutating to hear as a fan however it is a business at the end of they day, his business and he can run it how he likes but IMO hes doing a good job.
They don't even say no comment half the time and leave the press and speculation to run rife. When they do say "no comment" it is often a trite and faceless press release.

Other clubs seem to keep the fans pretty well informed without detriment to themselves. I was reading a comment from the Bradford chairman Mr Hood the other day on speculation they might try and get Mason on-loan. He laid everything out on the table saying things like it would take the agreement of both clubs and player for this to happen etc. It wasn't some Mo like teaser of a comment such as "we will sign Mason" and their fans know exactly where they stand over Mason.

Here, if we were in with a shout of signing him and the press got wind of it, it would just be "no comment" (if that) and more rumour and speculation.

Like I said, its not what you say , it's how you say it.

I don't really think the fact it is his business and he can run it how he likes etc is much of an excuse for the poor PR the club has IMO exhibited since Mick Hogan left.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Its not PR though is it, its media speculation, I think the same its annoying as hell but its us who get sucked into the media circus.

Kris Radlinski has just started some awesome club PR for the BigOne3, there is a clear difference between the 2 and for whatever reason maybe its sensible maybe its not, maybe its best for the club maybe its not IL doesnt get involved.

Every available coach and then some has been pointed in our direction courtesy of the media can you imagine if the club made a statement regarding every one of them, it would become a farce and then because the media think you play ball they would throw a constant barrage of speculation and rumours the clubs way becuase they know they would get a reply and it makes a story, IL is here to get Wigan playing good rugby and to prosper not to sell papers!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

29wes28 wrote:Its not PR though is it, its media speculation, I think the same its annoying as hell but its us who get sucked into the media circus.
How you deal with speculation and rumours is most definitely PR. The way the Hock saga was handled was terrible PR. A statement was promised and never came. We have had about 18 months of speculation if he would have a contract after his ban or not.

I fail to see why the club could not have said something along the lines of "If Hock keeps his nose clean and it suits both parties when his ban is up we will consider offering him a new contract".
Kris Radlinski has just started some awesome club PR for the BigOne3, there is a clear difference between the 2 and for whatever reason maybe its sensible maybe its not, maybe its best for the club maybe its not IL doesnt get involved.
Public relations is about how you present yourself as an organisation - what you are on about is marketing.
Every available coach and then some has been pointed in our direction courtesy of the media can you imagine if the club made a statement regarding every one of them, it would become a farce
Which is why I said no one expects the club to comment on every single rumour but I think we would all have to be a bit dim not to be able to tell the difference between idle speculation about new coaches and something like the Hock situation. We know now Madge is leaving we will be linked to many coaches. So what? That is completely different to rumours that appear to be affecting team performances such as the rumours about Madge before he resigned or cases like Hock. It's pretty easy to spot the serious stuff form the chaff isn't it?

What seems to happen with Wigan is IL only speaks when his hand is forced and often by then people are annoyed and fed up about whatever the situation might be. In my opinion he needs to be a buit more pro-active and be in the driving seat rather than responding at the last possible moment to speculation.

and then because the media think you play ball they would throw a constant barrage of speculation and rumours the clubs way becuase they know they would get a reply and it makes a story, IL is here to get Wigan playing good rugby and to prosper not to sell papers!
I really do not think you are being realistic because as I said no one expects every rumour to be dealt with just the ones that obviously raise a great deal of concern.

As far as a new coach goes there will come a time when the fans will want that settled. It will also be in the clubs interest to settle the issue at some point as any new signings like to know who their coach will be but that doesn't mean that time is now or IL has to bat back every name linked to the club as a new coach this minute.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

DaveO wrote:
29wes28 wrote:Its not PR though is it, its media speculation, I think the same its annoying as hell but its us who get sucked into the media circus.
How you deal with speculation and rumours is most definitely PR. The way the Hock saga was handled was terrible PR. A statement was promised and never came. We have had about 18 months of speculation if he would have a contract after his ban or not.

I fail to see why the club could not have said something along the lines of "If Hock keeps his nose clean and it suits both parties when his ban is up we will consider offering him a new contract".
Public relations is about how you present yourself as an organisation - what you are on about is marketing.
Every available coach and then some has been pointed in our direction courtesy of the media can you imagine if the club made a statement regarding every one of them, it would become a farce
Which is why I said no one expects the club to comment on every single rumour but I think we would all have to be a bit dim not to be able to tell the difference between idle speculation about new coaches and something like the Hock situation. We know now Madge is leaving we will be linked to many coaches. So what? That is completely different to rumours that appear to be affecting team performances such as the rumours about Madge before he resigned or cases like Hock. It's pretty easy to spot the serious stuff form the chaff isn't it?

What seems to happen with Wigan is IL only speaks when his hand is forced and often by then people are annoyed and fed up about whatever the situation might be. In my opinion he needs to be a buit more pro-active and be in the driving seat rather than responding at the last possible moment to speculation.

and then because the media think you play ball they would throw a constant barrage of speculation and rumours the clubs way becuase they know they would get a reply and it makes a story, IL is here to get Wigan playing good rugby and to prosper not to sell papers!
I really do not think you are being realistic because as I said no one expects every rumour to be dealt with just the ones that obviously raise a great deal of concern.

As far as a new coach goes there will come a time when the fans will want that settled. It will also be in the clubs interest to settle the issue at some point as any new signings like to know who their coach will be but that doesn't mean that time is now or IL has to bat back every name linked to the club as a new coach this minute.
That would have been a PR gaffe :lol:
Wes

Post by Wes »

I take your point but still disagree, it is still media speculation and from the way you speak you just want the rumours which interest you the most answering.

IL IMO gives a statement or announcements when they are in his control and concrete and as a business I see nothing wrong with that.

the winky one

Post by the winky one »

Thank you DaveO... thought it was me being silly for one awful minute :huh2: