Riots

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
pedro

Re: Riots

Post by pedro »

terrible scenes from manchester

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cbVW_QS2eE
jobo

Post by jobo »

People are people. The rioters seem mostly to be young people out on a jolly. The ones smashing and looting are crooks plain and simple. They are making the police look like idiots and Snake oil salesman Cameron, appear to be the knight in shining armour come back from his holiday to rescue us all. It's as if Rupert Murdoch ordered all of this, in cahoots with the government to deflect people from their criminal activity, phone hacking, interfering abroad, robbing the taxpayer and what's round the corner with the economy.

I think it's a load of rubbish saying the police have their hands tied. The same laws that allowed them to do what they did in the miners strike are still on the statute book, even the riot act still exists. The whole thing stinks if you ask me.
pedro

Post by pedro »

jobo wrote:People are people. The rioters seem mostly to be young people out on a jolly. The ones smashing and looting are crooks plain and simple. They are making the police look like idiots and Snake oil salesman Cameron, appear to be the knight in shining armour come back from his holiday to rescue us all. It's as if Rupert Murdoch ordered all of this, in cahoots with the government to deflect people from their criminal activity, phone hacking, interfering abroad, robbing the taxpayer and what's round the corner with the economy.

I think it's a load of rubbish saying the police have their hands tied. The same laws that allowed them to do what they did in the miners strike are still on the statute book, even the riot act still exists. The whole thing stinks if you ask me.
the riot act has to be called upon, and the police dont have the same powers as they did in the miners strike due to peoples human rights.
jobo

Post by jobo »

pedro wrote:
jobo wrote:People are people. The rioters seem mostly to be young people out on a jolly. The ones smashing and looting are crooks plain and simple. They are making the police look like idiots and Snake oil salesman Cameron, appear to be the knight in shining armour come back from his holiday to rescue us all. It's as if Rupert Murdoch ordered all of this, in cahoots with the government to deflect people from their criminal activity, phone hacking, interfering abroad, robbing the taxpayer and what's round the corner with the economy.

the riot act has to be called upon, and the police dont have the same powers as they did in the miners strike due to peoples human rights.
The do still have them. The laws have never been repealed. As for Human rights act, this only comes in to play when the actual law used to prosecute someone is at odds with European law. British people haven't as such a human rights act to fall back on.
pedro

Post by pedro »

jobo wrote:
pedro wrote:

The do still have them. The laws have never been repealed. As for Human rights act, this only comes in to play when the actual law used to prosecute someone is at odds with European law. British people haven't as such a human rights act to fall back on.
It still has to be called upon in parliment. Also it has not been called a riot yet as if it did, everyone who has lost something could sue the police.

The human rights act has softened policing as people cannot be treated in such a manner as to breach it. Look how the moss side riots were handled differently to oldham and now this.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Anybody think the whole episode, the whole misery and personal tragedies was from the moment it happened exploited first by Senior Police Chiefs and increasingly by Politicians. Joe Public gets shafted and nothing will change. Trust me on that.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

If I was a rank and file bobby I would be furious with Police Chiefs
"Police chiefs have been frank with me about why this happened.

"Initially the police treated the situation too much as a public order issue - rather than essentially one of crime.

"The truth is that the police have been facing a new and unique challenge with different people doing the same thing - basically looting - in different places all at the same time."
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

cpwigan wrote:If I was a rank and file bobby I would be furious with Police Chiefs

"Initially the police treated the situation too much as a public order issue - rather than essentially one of crime.

"The truth is that the police have been facing a new and unique challenge with different people doing the same thing - basically looting - in different places all at the same time."
I am.

There's so much about this debacle that's been done wrong.

As it started you had a protest in one isolated area which was allowed to spread countrywide. It was not nipped in the bud but I suppose no one expected it to spread and escalate quite as it did.

However, the upshot is that I'm going into work at 6pm to work through until 3am and it's my eighth day working on the trot and the last two will be for double time. I did next to nothing last night and had 9hrs pay at double time for it. I don't think the organisation of this is very good at all. The bill to the tax payer is going to be astronomical!!!!

But quite honestly, I'd really like a day off to see my wife and little girl.

"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Kiwiseddon wrote:
cpwigan wrote:If I was a rank and file bobby I would be furious with Police Chiefs

I am.

There's so much about this debacle that's been done wrong.

As it started you had a protest in one isolated area which was allowed to spread countrywide. It was not nipped in the bud but I suppose no one expected it to spread and escalate quite as it did.

However, the upshot is that I'm going into work at 6pm to work through until 3am and it's my eighth day working on the trot and the last two will be for double time. I did next to nothing last night and had 9hrs pay at double time for it. I don't think the organisation of this is very good at all. The bill to the tax payer is going to be astronomical!!!!

But quite honestly, I'd really like a day off to see my wife and little girl.
What makes me smile is the Govt find millions or at least promise it for rebuilding due to this etc (It will be interesting if police forces affected get any extra when the cost is calculated and needs to be paid for.

Decent article here; bit bland

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-14488955
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

cherry.pie wrote:David Cameron has been desperately shooting down anyone who dares link these riots with any sort of social, economic or employment issue.

People present facts and figures to him about the correlation between increases in crime and cuts to various services, especially for youth and those in less affluent areas. The point has been presented to him time and time again since he announced the massive cutbacks. Then he says these riots are down to pure criminality yet denies that there is any deeper root cause. He's just ignoring the statistics and the evidence presented to him.
Very true Cherry. Indeed the politicians are playing a political game which means nothing will be achieved just empty rhetoric and more meaningless gestures like hug a hoodie.

To quote Nick Robinson;
The party leaders will soon, however, have to give us their verdicts. After today they will return to their sun loungers and begin to write or, probably, re-write their party conference speeches - their chance to add a political narrative to the images of burning shops, looters running amok and streets gripped by fear.
As Harriet Harman discovered on Newsnight to even dare look at the bigger picture gets looney tunes accusing you of making excuses for criminality.

Hence, every party leader sings the same tune