gaz hock thread

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: Gaz Hock

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

I am also a massive Gaz Hock fan, but there is an old saying which goes 'Play with fire and you get burnt!' and in my opinion although I genuinely do not think he actually gouged Harrison at all, it did look awful, especially on the slow motion replays and then to follow it up with a punch/push was just idiotic, although again it was not that bad but could bring a suspension.

Gaz Hock wears his heart on his sleeve and when he loses it hurts him, I am not saying it doesn't hurt the others it is just that I think they can control their emotions a lot better than Gaz. It is such an endearing fault to have in so many ways but yet a bloody frustrating fault and costly fault to have also. Are you going to change Gaz? Probably not! Could it be managed better? Yes, but it will take time and effort. I think love him or hate him you cannot argue with his RL skills and ability and over a full season I think his positives will far outweigh his negatives and that is why he is very important to us in the future.

For the gouging and punching combined, if he gets anything from 1-3 games I think we are very lucky, 4-6 games would probably be about right and 7+ would be very harsh.

As for the Sam kicking incident thankfully that was just a warning and rightly so, it was nothing dangerous and never put Clarke in any danger at all, if it had been ANY other SL player nobody would have even mentioned it and as for Briers I cannot wait to see him crying when we smash them in the GF, please people keep the faith we will be just fine!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Hilarious how no-one from wire got warned - despite glass jaw king using the forearm on Lima, and cry baby briers diving on Sam.

Hock will get a mid-range ban; it wasn't a full on gouge, but he put his fingers over harrison's eyes and the punch afterwards won't help - probably 4 or 5 matches - season over for him.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:Sam escaped with a warning, Lima too. They will try to hammer Hock IMO.
They don't have to try. He gave them the ammunition and if found guilty of both offences he could get a 5 to a 9 match ban because that is the tariff for the pair. That is not hammering him unless you think he is innocent of the charges, it's just dishing out the specified punishment for the offences.

They will find him guilty of both IMO. It may well be 9 due to the TV emphasis in the same way Sam got punished when others never have for what he did but really 5 or 9, it is his fault.

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

cpwigan wrote:http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... ml&BID=480

Sam escaped with a warning, Lima too. They will try to hammer Hock IMO.
Grade E offence!!! 4 - 8 matches.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Do you think Hock is guilty of gouging Dave?

My initial reaction was hang him etc BUT then Madge defended him and the more I think did he really gouge Harrison? If he did 1) Why did Harrison never complain at the time, 2) Why was Harrison never treated at the time for eye damage? 3) why was Harrison not furious and angry after such a disgusting attack?

It is easy to jump to conclusions. The media do it frequently, we do it. Here is a simple photo from an NRL game this season;

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/WYcIENw- ... NnONv-L-8n

Was that player guilty of gouging? According to many on here, the media if you have your hand/fingers near somebody's eyes you are gouging them?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote:
Grade E offence!!! 4 - 8 matches.
Well that is the tariff that gouging carries. What else could they charge him with?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Not seen the Hock incident yet, but looking at this photo, that, IMO, isn't 'gouging'! The guy's hand is flat.

To 'gouge' your finger/s would be in a bent or hooked position surely?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/NRL+ ... -L-8nl.jpg

Both hands are placed in a similar manner under different circumstances but in the NRL where they have RL 24/7 on TV in the papers, the incident did not warrant even a mention.

In britain with our RL media clowns and hysterical fans ?
GBH

Post by GBH »

Looking at that image what is all the fuss about no eye gouging there...
Snickers Workwear - Workwear - Safety Boots
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

How do Wigan fans feel about Bryan Fletcher?

http://bop.nppa.org/2006/still_photogra ... 42440.html