Next Season Centre?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
exile in Tiger country

Re: Next Season Centre?

Post by exile in Tiger country »

29wes28 wrote:Josh Charnley would make an awesome centre, if memory serves he played on the left side for KR I too would play him on the left, I would use Carmont sparingly this year as cover or if needed and blood CHarnley in on that side with the ever solid Pat outside him.

On the right I would try Acton/Goulding/Reed if rumours are to be belived with Amos outside him with Ryan King in the waiting.

The thing is with us Wigan fans we want instant success, I would prefer to look after our youth and give them a chance!

Our youth are a predictable risk, with all risk to the coaching staff, to many of us they are the unknown!
1 thing about them being unknow is it creates excitement! I say bring it on!
I may be being paranoid, but some of this sounds a little reminiscent of "Duty of care"
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:Yeaman has been shown up badly in the 4N. I do not believe players should be judged marely on tries scored and apparently many Wigan seem to think the same given how poorly they rate Goulding for example.

Yeaman IMO is too slow, lacking evasion skills for a top centre and that in many respects comes down to his bulk. The worst thing that ever happened under Noble was an obsession to add bulk to Goulding.

The worlds best centre Inglis face a constant battle to optimize his speed & body shape because he can very easily become too bulk and whomever you are we add bulk naturally with age.

Dean Bell was a great centre was he not. I personally think Michael Jenning is a fantastic centre; Both hardly the biggest and never bulky. Ashton and Fox were a fantastic British centre pairing with very different body shapes.

You optimize what you are, you do not try to become something that you are not and one model does not fit all.
Having players in your team that score tries year in year out is a good assest irrespective of how people judge your ability as a player.
I am glad that Daz Goulding has been given one of the centre berths this season, as saving injury, I dont think he will let us down. I have faith that Shaun wane will make better our defensive frailties shown last season to our right flank.
I honestly dont think that Yeaman is necesarilly a slow centre lacking evasive skills, however, he chooses to use the more direct route to the try line which worked well for him last season in a not so creative Hull FC team.
IMO Greg inglis is a player that has to be at the top end of his fitness to remain lean, he is a natural speedster, which as we all know Speed is not an asset that can be gained solely by just intence training, you either have it or you dont.
Dean Bell, well I can say no more than my favourite all time Wigan player and as a genuine person too. 100% legend, and Yeaman/Yeoman comes nowhere near. :lol:
jobo

Post by jobo »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Yeaman has been shown up badly in the 4N. I do not believe players should be judged marely on tries scored and apparently many Wigan seem to think the same given how poorly they rate Goulding for example.

Yeaman IMO is too slow, lacking evasion skills for a top centre and that in many respects comes down to his bulk. The worst thing that ever happened under Noble was an obsession to add bulk to Goulding.

The worlds best centre Inglis face a constant battle to optimize his speed & body shape because he can very easily become too bulk and whomever you are we add bulk naturally with age.

Dean Bell was a great centre was he not. I personally think Michael Jenning is a fantastic centre; Both hardly the biggest and never bulky. Ashton and Fox were a fantastic British centre pairing with very different body shapes.

You optimize what you are, you do not try to become something that you are not and one model does not fit all.
Having players in your team that score tries year in year out is a good assest irrespective of how people judge your ability as a player.
I am glad that Daz Goulding has been given one of the centre berths this season, as saving injury, I dont think he will let us down. I have faith that Shaun wane will make better our defensive frailties shown last season to our right flank.
I honestly dont think that Yeaman is necesarilly a slow centre lacking evasive skills, however, he chooses to use the more direct route to the try line which worked well for him last season in a not so creative Hull FC team.
IMO Greg inglis is a player that has to be at the top end of his fitness to remain lean, he is a natural speedster, which as we all know Speed is not an asset that can be gained solely by just intence training, you either have it or you dont.
Dean Bell, well I can say no more than my favourite all time Wigan player and as a genuine person too. 100% legend, and Yeaman/Yeoman comes nowhere near. :lol:
Yeaman knows centre play. Some of his tackles, making the attacker commit, his sense of when to hold the pass was brilliant tonight. Very good player, might not be the brightest spark in the box but he knows his job down to a tee.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Wouldn't want charnle and goulding on the same side i think it would be a defensive nightmare, both are more akin to wingers i think.
Nah, they are both centres really but the trouble is they are both short so we would get picked off with kicks to the RHS.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

First Try Tickle wrote:Each of those is a worrying combination.

Not sure I fancy goulding and charnley on one wing, but don't think we have enough experience there to bring a kid in.

The other wing worries me just as much, Carmont was really struggling at the end of the season and as its his knees can only get worse. Pat has really struggled since his injury, just hope the off season sorts things out.

I really do think we should go to Hull and spend the Joel money on Yeaman or Welham.
I've been saying this for 2 years now but I fear that it is a forlorn hope. The ? for me is why did Lenighan go to Oz at all if he knew we could not afford a top aussie?
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:

ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Kiwiseddon wrote:I personally feel that it should be Charnley at centre. The only sticking point is that we need a top winger outside him. If Roberts can regain his early 2010 form then I think it's the best option.

As for Goulding, well I like the lad, always have but just don't think he's quite what we're after. But as other posters have said, I'd love him to prove me wrong.
He won't.

exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

ian.birchall wrote:
Kiwiseddon wrote:I personally feel that it should be Charnley at centre. The only sticking point is that we need a top winger outside him. If Roberts can regain his early 2010 form then I think it's the best option.

As for Goulding, well I like the lad, always have but just don't think he's quite what we're after. But as other posters have said, I'd love him to prove me wrong.
He won't.
Can I have next Saturday's lottery numbers please, being as you are psychic.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

ian.birchall wrote:

He won't.
:roll: Sweet Jesus

Incidentally Amos has returned from Australia to Wigan this week.

Remember, the same Amos Roberts that was miss diagonosed / told he he was full fit by the Wigan RLFC medical staff and associated staff only to discover after paying for medical treatment himself to discover he was still injured and did require surgery.

Remember, the same Amos Roberts who when fully fit tore SL apart before wrapping himself up against a goal post.
jobo

Post by jobo »

ian.birchall wrote:

He won't.
Oh yes he will
Aaron C. Rescue

Post by Aaron C. Rescue »

jobo wrote:
ian.birchall wrote:

He won't.
Oh yes he will
Is it pantomime season already ?
"Are you a jew by any chance ?", "No, a tree fell on me"

'I was certain, positive, convinced, and yet...unsure'

'It's only rock 'n' roll, but I like it'