Thornley or Gelling

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Thornley or Gelling

Post by DaveO »

Southern Softy wrote:Bit rough to single out Thornley on tonight's showing when most players were out of sorts.

I'd still feel safer at Wembley with Thornley rather than Gelling.
So would I.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

It really depends how brave you feel. I think Gelling is more of a spark player who can beat a man, pull off something pretty good, maybe a sidestep, handoff etc but will drop a couple of pass a game. Thornley is a lot more solid, won't drop too many and will defend solidly but won't do anything more than your standard centre in attack. He won't make a break, offload or beat a man. Gelling will.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

It will depend if Sam is fit for wembley - if we need X factor, I don't think we'll get it from Thornley. Our left edge never looked like troubling the giants last night.

Gelling makes me nervous, but he is equally capable of sparking something.

Neither are a patch in George and that is evident by how few breaks Pat makes this days
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Thornley defended well IMO, couple of very nice hits. I did not see him miss tackles. Attack wise he runs good lines he just needs to work as hard as he can on his speed, particularly 0-5 yards & 0-15 yards. He could do with developing some offensive evasion skills; steps and fends etc / catching cross field kicks etc. Always believed in his potential but he is with the big boys now.

Gelling is poorer defensively but a better runner of the ball.

The odd part; Hughes was given the number but how many chances to play there has he been given?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

cpwigan wrote:Thornley defended well IMO, couple of very nice hits. I did not see him miss tackles. Attack wise he runs good lines he just needs to work as hard as he can on his speed, particularly 0-5 yards & 0-15 yards. He could do with developing some offensive evasion skills; steps and fends etc / catching cross field kicks etc. Always believed in his potential but he is with the big boys now.

The odd part; Hughes was given the number but how many chances to play there has he been given?
Dunno, but hopefully he won't get many more
markill

Post by markill »

cpwigan wrote:Thornley defended well IMO, couple of very nice hits. I did not see him miss tackles. Attack wise he runs good lines he just needs to work as hard as he can on his speed, particularly 0-5 yards & 0-15 yards. He could do with developing some offensive evasion skills; steps and fends etc / catching cross field kicks etc. Always believed in his potential but he is with the big boys now.

twice I think - Leeds away, with Thornley on the wing, and Wakefield at home. He's played centre more than that but mostly right inside Charnley when Goulding was out.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
jasonnlouise

Post by jasonnlouise »

would have to go with Gelling has more go forward he does make mistakes but his head doesn't drop and he looks for work
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Who would be your choice for the centre spot and why?
Either, but not both. Ever!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

What is Carmont doing next week. Maybe if we phoned him he might want a game. :o
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

which one played yesterday and how did he do?