Leigh v Wigan Friendly

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
AdamMac

Re: Leigh v Wigan Friendly

Post by AdamMac »

Its funny that Gelling had a poor performance at right centre, when IIRC he put in a top class defensive performance in the very same position away at warrington last year when we were depleted at best.
Probably more a factor of fatigue/mental prep than anything else, it happens.

I am glad however that wane chose to play him there and give burgess a chance on the left wing, further to that reading between the lines im even more excited that wane seems to be just looking at burgess/manfredi to replace pat! Ive been hoping all off season that burgess gets the spot. Long term i think he'll be a cracker!

Can anyone let me know how James Greenwood performed?

ps not long now men! and ladies...
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:
Both young wingers had excellent games. Hampshire at FB is lightning over 10-40 yards reminicent of Billy Whizz.
I reckon Hampshire will play more than not this season. An awful lot of positives in that game considering the average age. And I don't think Leigh played particularly badly either. Some of their tries took some scoring!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Leigh were a very strong test. Some of their props are carrying too much IMO (Duffy&Emmit) but they dominated when our standard dropped.

Hampshire has so much natural ability IMO and at this stage he offers fantastic utility value from the bench given IMO he could play FB, WING, 6 or 7 and 9 INTERCHANGE.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Greenwood had a far stronger 2nd half than first Adam. He did not look out of place IMO.
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

cpwigan wrote:Greenwood had a far stronger 2nd half than first Adam. He did not look out of place IMO.
Cheers CP. Looked a good size with decent strength when he played at the end of last season. Could provide good cover this season.

Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

DaveO wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:Looks like Gelling is now established as number one target to call rotten now that lauaki is no longer around.

Just a observation!
No it doesn't. People making the observation he didn't play well in one game doesn't mean he "is now established as number one target".

That is quite a ridiculous thing to say.

And if a player is as consistently as poor as Lauaki was, discussing that isn't "targeting" the player either.

The implication that posters have some sort of vendetta against players is as daft as someone suggesting the club were right to sell Hansen because he wasn't giving 100%.
The only thing ridiculous is you saying that it does not happen because it has always gone on with the father of Sean O'Loughlin being a classic example in the early eighties.

No vendetta's, just childishness!

Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:Looks like Gelling is now established as number one target to call rotten now that lauaki is no longer around.

Just a observation!
No it doesn't. People making the observation he didn't play well in one game doesn't mean he "is now established as number one target".

And if a player is as consistently as poor as Lauaki was, discussing that isn't "targeting" the player either.

The implication that posters have some sort of vendetta against players is as daft as someone suggesting the club were right to sell Hansen because he wasn't giving 100%.
The only thing ridiculous is you saying that it does not happen because it has always gone on with the father of Sean O'Loughlin being a classic example in the early eighties.

In your case we also get it with the Lenagan in spite of the fact that he has been the best Owner/Chairman since the 'gang of four' took over the club in the late seventies.

Kaii

Post by Kaii »

Kittwazzer wrote: I reckon Hampshire will play more than not this season. An awful lot of positives in that game considering the average age. And I don't think Leigh played particularly badly either. Some of their tries took some scoring!
Rocky definitely has been putting in the extra work training-wise since last season, just a couple of months and you can see he's packed on some muscle but done in a smart way as to not effect his natural speed. IMO Leigh were very good and never stopped trying all the way through, that winger Alex Brown looks to have settled in well.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
DaveO wrote:

Just a observation!

Gang of 4 took over early 80s!
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Kaii wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote: I reckon Hampshire will play more than not this season. An awful lot of positives in that game considering the average age. And I don't think Leigh played particularly badly either. Some of their tries took some scoring!
Rocky definitely has been putting in the extra work training-wise since last season, just a couple of months and you can see he's packed on some muscle but done in a smart way as to not effect his natural speed. IMO Leigh were very good and never stopped trying all the way through, that winger Alex Brown looks to have settled in well.
Ex Hull KR I believe!