Dudson to Salford

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
devon jim 1

Re: Dudson to Salford

Post by devon jim 1 »

[quote="Panchitta Marra"][quote="devon jim 1"]

Is Micky Mac too physical a booker for your liking jim or is it that he is not a clever or fast enough player at scooting from dummy half.
With Mac and George both fit I think you would be pushed find a much better hooker pair...

PM your query re-MM gave me pause to consider: It's a difficult question to give an in depth answer.I can't give you a quantative responce ala CP(analytical)or Markill(statistical) simply put my reply is qualitative relying on my intuition borne from my experience ofRL I will use your examplesviz clever,speed,physicality.

At the outset I will say I have not seen anything in his style of play that has made me sit up and'take note' apart from his excessive physicality.In connection with 'speed' Colin Clarke,made me sit up and 'take note'.I was drawn to notice his speed particularly in broken play. Re 'clever' particularly in distribution,Martin Dermott(?) compelled me to 'take note' of this aspect of his gameJames Roby and his mentor Cunningham are called to mind in relation to'scoot forward'
I don't have a matrix of plays/moves that I expect to tick off in assesing a player. I asses a player on his ability to make me sit up and take note when compelled to do or am drawn to do so by aspects of their play that instantiate those aspects

On seeing George Williams play I was immediatly drawn to his ability enough for me to believe he would make a fine Dummy half

I am not saying MM is a poor player only that his ability
has not impressed me enough to take note saving for his over excessive physicality. Hope I have helped to show where I'm coming from. Cheers

:D
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

We've only had one decent hooker since Martin Hall and that was Piggy
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

I thought Robbie McCormack was good.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

The booze hound wrote:I thought Robbie McCormack was good.
So was Newton and MM. Do not feed the Med he is just fishing.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

thegimble wrote:
Newton was far from decent, FFS i'm getting sick of this i am not trolling
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

medlocke wrote:
thegimble wrote:
Sorry Med i was fishing then for a reaction sorry too tempting not to.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

thegimble wrote:
medlocke wrote:
thegimble wrote: So was Newton and MM. Do not feed the Med he is just fishing.
Sorry Med i was fishing then for a reaction sorry too tempting not to.
:eusa4: :angry:
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

devon jim 1 wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:
devon jim 1 wrote:
Is Micky Mac too physical a booker for your liking jim or is it that he is not a clever or fast enough player at scooting from dummy half.
With Mac and George both fit I think you would be pushed find a much better hooker pair...

PM your query re-MM gave me pause to consider: It's a difficult question to give an in depth answer.I can't give you a quantative responce ala CP(analytical)or Markill(statistical) simply put my reply is qualitative relying on my intuition borne from my experience ofRL I will use your examplesviz clever,speed,physicality.

At the outset I will say I have not seen anything in his style of play that has made me sit up and'take note' apart from his excessive physicality.In connection with 'speed' Colin Clarke,made me sit up and 'take note'.I was drawn to notice his speed particularly in broken play. Re 'clever' particularly in distribution,Martin Dermott(?) compelled me to 'take note' of this aspect of his gameJames Roby and his mentor Cunningham are called to mind in relation to'scoot forward'
I don't have a matrix of plays/moves that I expect to tick off in assesing a player. I asses a player on his ability to make me sit up and take note when compelled to do or am drawn to do so by aspects of their play that instantiate those aspects

On seeing George Williams play I was immediatly drawn to his ability enough for me to believe he would make a fine Dummy half

I am not saying MM is a poor player only that his ability
has not impressed me enough to take note saving for his over excessive physicality. Hope I have helped to show where I'm coming from. Cheers

Thats a very fair comment you have made Jim and I fully respect what you have said.
I think on his day Micky Mac can be good going forward to which I think he has shown.
Many people mention how good James Robey is, yet I have not seen one single game where Robey has played well against Micky Mac. The opposite can be said of Daryl Clarke, a player MM has struggled against so far.
I think a good team needs an enforcer type player aka the ilk of morley, Peacock, skerritt etc and to me Mac fits that description.
devon jim 1

Post by devon jim 1 »

Thanks for your remarks PM. I also respect your views Yes I to have noticed that Robey has never really had a good game playing us.I have always put that down to our dominant pack as opposed to one individual.However I accept your take on the point.To be honest I think I am over critical of MM mainly because of his physicality sailing close to the wind.I will try to eradicate this pereived bias(TBW take note )and look forward toMM making me 'sit up and take note' for the right reasons :D
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

devon jim 1 wrote:Thanks for your remarks PM. I also respect your views Yes I to have noticed that Robey has never really had a good game playing us.I have always put that down to our dominant pack as opposed to one individual.However I accept your take on the point.To be honest I think I am over critical of MM mainly because of his physicality sailing close to the wind.I will try to eradicate this pereived bias(TBW take note )and look forward toMM making me 'sit up and take note' for the right reasons :D
Roby has been quiet against us for a number of reasons, 1 is definitely MM has him dominated both physically and mentally, 2 is we are a better team than them in recent times and finally he is not as good as he was. MM is a very physical player and plays the game on the edge but I would not class him as a sneaky thug like some, he fronts up everytime and will take anyone on face to face, just ask JP!! If you actually look at his disciplinary record in comparison to the type of player he is, it is very good. Finally when the going gets tough and we need someone to stand up and be counted in the BIG games, MM does that everytime and along with SOL has been nothing short of instrumental in our recent successes!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett